View Single Post in: Discussion: Lot Size, Orientation, Rotation, etc.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#527 Old 23rd Oct 2007 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I might even be willing to warn people against anything which would normally require "moveobjects on" or other cheats to place within the remaining edge tiles. But, it's not clear that even this restriction will prevent the lot corruption that we are seeing.

Do you mean the disappearing street light with "lot corruption"? If yes: the street light in my lot was placed with*out* moveobjects on; it's on the house side of the sidewalk, not on the street side.

Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I also agree that your 7pm crash seems related to lighting / shadows / etc. The fact that we haven't been able to reproduce this crash only means that it will be harder to find and fix the problem, or to find a workaround.

I'd like to suggest we forget about this crash .. nobody has been able to reproduce it, is that correct? Plus, not even I managed -- I just built a new house and playtested that, thinking that the crash perhaps only occurs the first time around (because something needs to be reset, or something) .. but everything worked without a hitch this time. This is a lot I shrunk with 1.2.7.7, maybe that makes a difference, maybe it was just a stupid coincidence that my game decided to crash at a seemingly significant point in time, that time.

Also, the first time I upload a row house as a regular download (or anything else on a resized lot) I'll make sure that I have time for a lot of handholding/troubleshooting on the subsequent days .. and I'll label it very clearly as *experimental* and *testers wanted* and *back up first* and all that. And it might be a good idea to make a tutorial/how-to at the same time (I volunteer?), so that any subsequent troubleshooting / collecting issues+workarounds can be conducted in an orderly fashion -- not randomly clogging this thread I mean, which is about more than just that one application .. what do you think?

Not saying this has to happen next weekend -- just that I think problems with row houses / shrunk lots / resized lots are not necessarily problems with the lot expander.

Observations from playtesting:

* When moving in a family, in neighbourhood view, the green border doesn't appear around the lot (although they can afford it just fine) -- probably because the game can't figure out where to draw it? Not a problem I think, just a visual glitch.

* This may be just because I lack sleep, but: I do not recall ever having fixed the portals on this lot -- when I wanted to do that, all 6 portals showed up just fine (but not in the positions where I'd have put them myself <- which indicates that it really wasn't me who repeired them): does the LE fix them all by itself now? If yes, then it did a good job =).

* Played for two days, mailman/paperboy/maid/gardener/pizzagirl arrived and left without problems. On this lot, I put streetlights and fences *after* shrinking the lot (respectively: I can't remember whether or not there were any on the lot before shrinking .. I think not, but I'm not sure anymore) so it's not going to tell us anything about the missing objects problem.

* I found out that it's possible to repaint the outside walls (on the side) with shift-click (repainting the entire house, that is); also it's possible to repaint floortiles on foundations at the border of the lot that way. I have not found a way to *add* floortiles on 1st level at the border of the lot. (With "border of the lot" I mean the last tile on the left+right -- the normally unbuildable area)

Tested in Base Game only (BGS), with the Randoms again (Numenor mini hood), on a lot shrunk from 3x3 to 1x3 with LE 1.2.7.7.

Lot attached; no EPs required, no CC required. It has a small basement too (not on the pics). Have fun and thank you =).

ETA: I'm aware that I'm one version behind again .. I have 1.2.7.8 now (as of 1 minute ago)

ETA, as well: from what I've seen so far, I think it's wise to stick to some rules for redistributing shrunk lots:

* only build what you must before shrinking (add all objects afterwards) .. until the disappearing objects issue is figured out, I mean
* don't put anything on the to-be-deleted part; don't put objects near the lot border
* use the newest version of the LE for shrinking
* check the portals after shrinking
* What can't be changed after shrinking (near the lot border), so it has to be built before:
- Foundations
- Walls
- Halfwalls
- Modular stairs
- Floortiles that are "floating in mid-air" (like the frontmost ones on the front porches of my last lot -- you can see them missing in the "Portals" screenshot; I accidentially deleted them and had to undo plenty to get them back)
- Roofs
- Stages I guess; greenhouses I guess
- Anything at the lot border that relies on moveobjects on / "theoretical" floortiles (the white borders that show where a floor tile would be) -- like for example, off-grid columns or the ceiling trims from ats2 (?) (but that's already a rather exotic issue, not many people use them)
- Forgot something? (note to self: yes: 1. only build on 100% flat lots; 2. be considerate where you put basements)

Edit: Download removed -- reposted here . Please put all further feedback on gameplay issues in that thread, not here.
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.