Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2024 at 6:17 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Need help fixing the blurriness on the breastbones of some Custom Content Outfits
Does anyone know how to get a Sim's breastbone to appear properly? Since it's appearing blurry on my PC for custom content (the first headshot I have presented was taken from a Windows Vista PC which isn't affected by this problem. However, this PC that I'm using is Windows 10 which IS affected by this problem)

I was just about to replace the first headshot that I presented with the second headshot when I realised that the breastbone in the second headshot is significantly blurrier. And since my standards are high quality headshots, I can't accept the second headshot as a replacement when the breastbone is more blurry.

I was able to fix the blurriness on all the outfits in BodyShop. But that was months ago. And I forgot exactly where the file I edited is located. Or what I did to fix the issue with BodyShop. I thought that maybe if I remembered what I did to fix the outfit blurriness in BodyShop, I might be able to figure out how to fix the breastbone blurriness for some of the custom content outfits.

If I can't fix the issue on this PC, I might have to recreate the headshot on the Windows Vista PC, which will be rather awkward as it is at a different house, and is quite slow compared to this PC.

In case it helps to diagnose the root of the blurriness issue, Daniel Pleasant is wearing custom content outfits in both headshots from here. While the hairstyle he is wearing in the second headshot is from here and here. The hairstyle he is wearing in the first headshot is just the base game 'Front-Al-Wave' hairstyle with the hair that hangs over the forehead removed using Adobe Photoshop CS4.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th May 2024 at 7:19 AM
I'm not sure what you mean. The breastbone is on top of your rib cage, it's not generally visible from outside your body and is usually covered by a shirt in any case.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th May 2024 at 7:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
I'm not sure what you mean. The breastbone is on top of your rib cage, it's not generally visible from outside your body and is usually covered by a shirt in any case.

Maybe I'm using the wrong word. But if you look at the first headshot, there is a dark outline highlighting where the bones are underneath the skin. But that same outline is blurred in the second headshot.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th May 2024 at 8:49 AM
You mean the clavicle? That's part of the skintone, isn't it? I don't know why it would be showing differently with some outfits rather than others.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th May 2024 at 12:11 PM
Do you get blurriness with just that outfit or any outfit that shows the breastbone? Do you get the same blurriness if you use a different skin?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th May 2024 at 5:53 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th May 2024 at 6:05 PM.
1: Open the file you want to check in SimPE. See if the body skin texture OR clothing texture is 1024x1024. If it's smaller, that's the problem. (these particular shirts seem fine, but don't know about the skin you're using)

2: If it's an ingame-only issue, check that you've got "Sim/Detail" and "Texture detail" on high. Otherwise only smaller textures show (and those will also likely be the ones showing up in thumbnails)

3: If it's a problem with one outfit but not another outfit in the same set, it could be one has extra shadows added in that area (potentially an issue with the alpha, or a lighter color on the black area in the texture after making it brighter). If you don't want this (or want it), it would need to be edited for each individual clothing piece. (Can't find any immediate issues with these shirts, but the difference could be very minimal)

4: Could be one computer can show bump maps and the other one doesn't (would explain the difference between the computer)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th May 2024 at 12:12 AM
I'm only using Maxis skins. And I only tend to accept custom content that looks like it could have been made by Maxis. So there shouldn't be an issue with the skin textures. I always have the Sim/object detail set to high. Also I've just realised that I'm having the same problem with the H&M outfits that have similar shirts to the one that Daniel Pleasant is wearing in those headshots. The issue isn't related to a specific skin tone either.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th May 2024 at 3:01 PM
Is it any outfit that shows the clavicle? Does the blurring still show up on a naked skin?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th May 2024 at 3:39 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th May 2024 at 3:53 PM.
Have you tried turning on bump maps to see if that's what's causing it (or was correcting it for your other computer, more like)?

https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...aps_and_Shaders

If it's only happening with this shirt, it's most likely either the bump map, or there's a small difference in the painted-on shadow texture of the shirt (couldn't spot it on the textures, but it could be a very slight difference).

There doesn't appear to be a difference in the shirt textures overall, so I'd think those are showing up with the right size and such.

---

The painted-on texture shadow can be edited out entirely by removing the shadow parts from the alpha (or can be made stronger by darkening the areas on the regular texture).

If you have bump maps enabled but want to try one of the shirts without a bump map (to compare), you can delete the two "NormalMap" TXTRs, plus the four "NormalMap" lines in each of the two TXMTs (they're roughly in the middle of the list, make sure to not delete anything else).

Bump maps can be enabled or disabled via either cheat or the method shown in the link above.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th May 2024 at 4:15 PM
I opened the shirt up in Bodyshop and removed the bump map and filled in all the shadows and I saw no difference to the collarbone area.

If it happens on all outfits with an exposed collarbone then it must be something to do with the graphics settings.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th May 2024 at 5:51 PM
Another thing it could be is the body type. There's a "fit" and "normal" skin available, and they've got slightly different definition (if you're using the regular maxis skins, that is). Could be they had different versions.The collar bone area is darker on the "fit" skin than the "normal" skin, and likely would make a more defined look. It's even softer/blurrier on the "fat" skin (but doesn't look like the sim in the picture has that one).

The rest of the skin and the shirts (minus color) look pretty much identical, so I doubt it's something else. It's not the bodyshop blur issue.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th May 2024 at 6:08 AM
Yeah, no. I made sure the 'Fit' flag was added before I regenerated both headshots. So it won't be that.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 18th May 2024 at 7:00 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 18th May 2024 at 7:11 PM.
Have you checked the settings between the two computers? Spesifically the ingame settings, and whether you've got bump maps enabled?

Bump maps only show if they're actually enabled, so if they're turned off you wouldn't know the difference if you removed it from the file.

The fit/normal states could also be lagging behind. Try taking a new picture with each of the states, using the same shirt color and skin, and see if the result changes. Only change one thing at a time when problemsolving, to avoid too many variables.

(Honestly, it looks just like the difference between those two skin states. GIF below, from the clavicle area on the skin textures).
Attached Images

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th May 2024 at 5:59 AM
It's not a skin issue and it's not a fitness issue. As most of the headshots on this PC are more or less the same as on the other PC I use. It's only an issue with the vast minority of outfits. I'll see what I can do the next time I'm on my other PC. Although it is very slow compared to this PC. And it's at a different house, albeit only a few blocks from this one.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd May 2024 at 9:30 PM
You're correct that it's a known issue for some clothing items to cause blurring of the skin texture. I'm not sure, but it might have something to do with the information mentioned in this thread.