Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Dolphin's Control-This-Sim Hack (Updated 2006-03-26)

by dolphin26 Posted 16th Mar 2006 at 11:57 PM - Updated 5th Mar 2008 at 2:16 AM by dolphin26 : keywords

120 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 111 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by syberspunk
Very cool hack. Seems like it'd be very useful. I'll definitely toy around with this when I actually start some businessed.

I just wanted to say, there seems to be some confusion, or maybe I'm the only one that's confused as to what is classified as an object hack versus a global hack...

Although this hack does not specifically modify any "global" BHAVs, it is my understanding that it is still global in the sense that the options will show up for any lot. Right? Although you mention that it would be especially useful for controlling employees on business lots, it is implied that this can be used on any lot for any family. Well, if that is the case, then the effect overall is a global one i.e. one that can't be really be "turned off" and is always available on every lot.

Although these options are contained on an object, it is my understanding (and of course, I may be totally wrong here) that an object mod refers to mods that have options that are "self-contained" within that object. In other words, it is an actual object that needs to be spawned or purchased or maybe even crafted (now with OFB). A hacked object is not necessarily present on every lot and therefore, the features or options of a hacked object will not always be available on every lot, to every sim on that lot.

Anyways, this is my understanding (or interpretation :P) of the differences between a hacked object mod and global mods. Object mods aren't just mods that modify objects, they are mods that are self-contained within an object. Mods that affect objects on a global level i.e. that can't be "turned off" are actually global mods.

Well, I know that a lot of mods here don't necessarily conform to those criteria anyway. Don't mind me really, I'm just whining about something in general. :P

But definitely a cool idea. I tend to prefer global type mods like these rather than relying on object mods, mostly because I am lazy and don't want to be bothered with having to remember to buy and place objects on every lot that I want it affect, unless they are specific, self-contained object mods with some new mesh or new function or what not, that is unique.

Ste

Yes, under that classification this would be a global mod. When I put this under object mods, perhaps I was thinking a bit too much about it's implementation, and not enough about its user interface. From a user standpoint, this is a global hack.

Hey, and I just figured out that I can move the thread myself instead of getting a moderator to do it, so it's done. This is now under global mods.
Test Subject
#27 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 2:15 PM
Default Dolphin's Control-This-Sim Hack
What a hoot... had the paper girl strip to her underwear, clean my house and water the garden. When released she simply got dressed, dropped off my paper and went on her way.
Uncle Suto
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 11:36 PM
This is excellent!
Test Subject
#29 Old 20th Mar 2006 at 10:51 AM Last edited by brahbech : 20th Mar 2006 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Further explanation
I just downloaded this hack in order to make an attempt to solve a conflict between two dormies in a dorm. It was very useful.

So far I am not sure what to do with the two dormies who hate each other. However, I managed to make a third dormie who did not cause any troubles playable by taking control over her, make her find her own place and move her back into the dorm.

Edit: The reason why I did not solve the conflict yet is my not knowing what to do. I might make one of the two guys who dislike each other find his own place, make one of the guys in question drop out or replace both with new playable students. I might even make one of the guys move out and back in as a playable student and replace the other with a new playable student. However, that doubt has nothing to do with the hack.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 21st Mar 2006 at 9:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dolphin26
I've never been able to get the one that comes with testing cheats to work. For me, it always seems like it does nothing, and I still can't select the sim. Does it work for you? And can you unselect an employee and still have them act as an employee afterwards? If the answers to both of those questions is "yes", then I suppose so.

i used to but it dosent work for me either

LOL

HAX

PWNT

yay. [=
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 21st Mar 2006 at 9:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by unclesuto
What a hoot... had the paper girl strip to her underwear, clean my house and water the garden. When released she simply got dressed, dropped off my paper and went on her way.
Uncle Suto

lol i bet u dident ACTUIALY do that but i bet u can make 'em

LOL

HAX

PWNT

yay. [=
Test Subject
#32 Old 21st Mar 2006 at 7:25 PM
cool this is gonna be fun
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#33 Old 21st Mar 2006 at 11:21 PM
This visitor controller works well for the menu items biut I noticed that it does not allow me to make the controlled sims click on the Badge bear, etc. I had hoped to use this to make my employees get a few sales badges and I couldn't get it to work.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#34 Old 22nd Mar 2006 at 3:01 PM Last edited by dolphin26 : 22nd Mar 2006 at 3:06 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by senicynt
This visitor controller works well for the menu items biut I noticed that it does not allow me to make the controlled sims click on the Badge bear, etc. I had hoped to use this to make my employees get a few sales badges and I couldn't get it to work.

I don't know about the badge bear, but I routinely use it with the badge juicer or my Business Adjuster, both of which are capable of giving badges. I suggest the badge juicer for employees, because my Business Adjuster will only give all the gold badges, which will raise the salary expected by your employees by quite a bit.

If you need the bear for some other reason, drop a note in that object's forum. It's possible that the object is checking to make sure the person is part of the current family before the menu items will show up. If that's the case, there's not much I can do here, but if the author of the bear contacts me directly I can tell them how they can fix their object and still prevent it from being used by uncontrolled visitors.
Instructor
#35 Old 22nd Mar 2006 at 8:31 PM Last edited by alexpilgrim : 23rd Mar 2006 at 12:44 AM.
I used this in my game, I'm a Mac user and only have UNI, and it works just fine!
It's very usefull, I personally find it easier to use than the mirror and the "testingcheatsenabled" cheat.

I get this new option in my game between household members, and I guessed it's because of the hack: "Debug - Social DL test"

(not that it really bothers me, just wondering)
Thanks!

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Field Researcher
#36 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 1:07 AM
I was annoyed when I used the Insim select option to check how an employee was doing and discovered that they stopped working as soon as I deselected them, so this will be a great help. Even more so during their breaks, when they do anything but what they need to do as far as their stats are concerned. I haven't tried making them selectable with boolprop, so I don't know if that puts them back to employees or not. This won't totally replace Merola's mirror though, because it's the only object I know of that can actually find a missing visitor, but for ease of use on a regular basis it will be much better.

WHY DO SIMS NEVER EXPERIENCE A MID-LIFE CRISIS?
Test Subject
#37 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 8:47 AM
i have same thing in my pie menu in my game as alexpilgrim.
i am on window xp and it shows on mine too.
i asked this question on help section
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=141635
but it didn't answer me much.
i still like to know what it is and what it does.

thank you for making this heck and i would like some sort of answer to this.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#38 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 2:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by worrybear
i have same thing in my pie menu in my game as alexpilgrim.
i am on window xp and it shows on mine too.
i asked this question on help section
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=141635
but it didn't answer me much.
i still like to know what it is and what it does.

thank you for making this heck and i would like some sort of answer to this.

Worrybear, what EPs do you have? I'm trying to determine if this is an EP thing, or something else.

I cloned this from the Maxis social plugin example, which was originally called "Social DL Test", so I suspect it does have something from my hack. I'll investigate more tonight. (I'm at work now, so I can't run the game.) In the mean time, just ignore it, it likely won't do anything anyway.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 4:40 PM
It happens to me too. I have all EPs.
And haven't installed the OFB patch yet.
I don't play with testing cheats enabled true.
My game is not the US version but it's in english language.
Test Subject
#40 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 5:50 PM
this hack is great i use it to make sims buy items at my shop and make sure there happy thanx alot
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#41 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 7:05 PM
Thanks. It works really well. One thing I'd like to see added in a future update is the ability to have the selected sim gain badges even if they aren't employed at this location.
Why? Sometimes a sim that needs, let's say, a cashiering badge at another location wanders into this store. I'd like the opportunity to grant them a badge while they are handy, rather than wait to load their lot and grant them.

This way, new store owners (when I'm not directly controlling them) can at least run their registers without bashing their stomachs all the time.

I'm making all my sims buy their household items from stores in town and I can't get to them all fast enough. :-)
Field Researcher
#42 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ancient Sim
I was annoyed when I used the Insim select option to check how an employee was doing and discovered that they stopped working as soon as I deselected them, so this will be a great help.

This was rectified in the OFB version of inSIM. Of course, I still use this one....and Merola's mirror too, as they each have their specific uses.

"If..." a TS2 epic about friendship, romance, break-ups, make-ups, misunderstandings, fights, quite a bit of silliness and a little bit of rock and roll."
Test Subject
#43 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 7:48 PM
thank you for returning my answer so quick dolphine26.

i have uni and less than a single hand full of hecks in my game.
i did test taking hecks in and out one by one and this extra pie menu only come up when i put yours in.
so, it seems it does belong to you.
but as long as it doesn't do any harm to the game, i am loving the every moment of it.

thank you once again and let me know once you get home.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#44 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 7:54 PM Last edited by dolphin26 : 27th Jun 2006 at 10:57 PM.
OK, the problems people have had with both the DEBUG menu options and the hug-fests seem to step from the same problem. Here's the short version: If you download the version I just uploaded, you'll fix both issues, and it shouldn't come back.

Now the long version for those interested: I was using a fallback GUID that was for the object that I cloned to make this hack. That object was an example object Maxis developed to show you how to create downloadable social plugins. It is this example object that has the extra menu options, which are not always visible but depend on the selected and clicked sim's relationships with each other. One of the test interactions was a "super duper hug", which apparently had a high level of autonomy associated with it.

This bug didn't show up until you *remove* my hack, because up until then, there are no instances of the social plugin test. However, if you removed an older version of the hack than the one I just uploaded, it would fallback to the Maxis social plugin test automatically.

Replacing the old version after you removed it also wouldn't fix the problem if you had saved your lot. That's because the lot now will have the social plugin test object as the master GUID, not just the fallback GUID. In fact, if you kept alternating with my hack installed and removed, you could potentially end up with lots of social plugin objects, and repeated DEBUG options in the menu.

I've done two things to fix this bug in the current release. First, I've changed the fallback guid to 0. That should cause the object to disappear if you uninstall this hack in the future.

I've also added logic when you load a lot to search for Maxis Social Download Test objects, and delete any found. This will fix the problem for any lots that have an instance of the Maxis social plugin test.

Hopefully this will fix the problems some people have been having. Let me know how it goes!

Edit: Porkypine just did a thorough job testing how to fix the superduper bug with the new mod. The important thing is this:
Quote: Originally posted by porkypine
So, to fix the problem - people need to move the current fixed mod into their download folder, and open each and every lot that was created, test for superduper (if they want to) and SAVE when exiting the lot.

You must enter and resave each lot that has the bug; otherwise, if you package your lot, others will still see the bug. See post #80 for Porkypine's full commentary.
Test Subject
#45 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 8:08 PM
thank you dolphin26.

got the new update and will try on the game.
Instructor
#46 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 8:37 PM
Thanks a lot, I'll try and let you know!

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Test Subject
#47 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 5:32 PM
Dolphin, worked perfectly for some time, then all interactions save 'Debug - Social DL Test' went missing.

Using the current 03/23/06 build, and had not installed any other version previously. Have the standard complement of MATY and other mods installed. Running UNI only.

fwiw...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#48 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aroenche
Dolphin, worked perfectly for some time, then all interactions save 'Debug - Social DL Test' went missing.

Using the current 03/23/06 build, and had not installed any other version previously. Have the standard complement of MATY and other mods installed. Running UNI only.

fwiw...

I would try redownloading it, and install it to see if that fixes the problem. You should not get "Debug - Social DL Test" with the current version -- ever. However, a previous version did have a problem with this in certain circumstances.

If you continue to have problems, can you try running with testing cheats on and send me any log file that might be generated?

Has anyone else used this hack with just uni? I've only tested it under my setup, which includes all three expansion packs, but the code I'm using should theoretically be compatible with all games.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 5:48 AM
I am using this hack (3/26/06 version) with just UNI, and "Debug - Social DL Test" is still showing up.
Test Subject
#50 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 6:22 AM
got the updated heck and it still shows "Debug - Social DL Test" ...

i only have uni.
Page 2 of 5