Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.2 BETA RC1

by Chocolate Pi Posted 22nd Feb 2006 at 3:46 AM - Updated 16th May 2009 at 10:24 AM by Numenor : Updated info and links

392 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 391 Feedback Posts
Page 6 of 16
Test Subject
#126 Old 21st Apr 2006 at 6:43 PM
Well I sure appreciate the effort put into it. I have been keeping an eye on this thread and hoping someone(anyone) comes back and revisits this (imho) essential mod for the game. When I feel brave enough I will try modifying the files to get your results. One question tho, when you say you are only using the 'program files' portion does that mean that you can't use the 'my documents' portion or else your tweak will not work? Or are you using the original version files for that part? And also when you say copy the matching NL lights should I copy the entire contents of the lights folder over the Ofb one or just specific files(just the nlo files)?
Lab Assistant
#127 Old 21st Apr 2006 at 7:19 PM Last edited by woodchuck : 21st Apr 2006 at 7:29 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by adam858

What exactly does the RLSshader.package file do? Is there any benefit to having it in the downloads folder if shaders are still enabled? Or do the game's native shaders override it it anyway?

with it installed and shaders off,it adds specular highlights and pool water effects. with shader on it has no visable effect. finding a way to enable
spec highlights and poolshaders without turning shaders off is key to makeing this mod work right,

P.S. even outside and in cas i dont have any Bumpmaps
Test Subject
#128 Old 22nd Apr 2006 at 4:27 AM
@upstart: Yes in order to get all the other work to function, and still get the game's native specular highlights and bumpmaps you apparently cannot use the 'My Documents' portion at all. And yes just replace the files that already exist in the OFB lights folder, as I said above you'll just be deactivating them anyway.

@woodchuck: Thanks for the clarification. If you are saying you dont have bumpmaps with this mod installed, well then yeah thats exactly what I am trying to fix. If you dont get them at all you should check around the Help forum as there are some tweaks that force enable them if your vidcard can render them. As far a shaders go, it seems then that all Gunmod's shader pack adds is some sort of new pool effect, as the game can/does perform specular highlights itself. I have a strong preference toward bumpmaps over pool effects personally, and thus all these experiments.
Test Subject
#129 Old 22nd Apr 2006 at 5:17 AM Last edited by adam858 : 22nd Apr 2006 at 5:43 AM.
Its very hard to compare but it may be that setting this to '3' is superior.

EDIT: Actually it seems that the one source of directional allowed by '3' isnt enough to have bumpmapping activated in all situations, with light coming from only one direction it is possible to only have one surface of a sim or object being affected which leaves the other side flat. I'm going to continue working with my initial suggestion, and the game default of '4'.
Lab Assistant
#130 Old 22nd Apr 2006 at 5:17 PM Last edited by woodchuck : 22nd Apr 2006 at 5:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by adam858

@woodchuck: the game can/does perform specular highlights itself.

true but the system that gunmod used is far superior to that of the og sims 2 system. it uses realtime spec highlights on all surfaces,except floors and walls
rather than only on objects with premade spec maps
Test Subject
#131 Old 26th Apr 2006 at 6:04 PM Last edited by adam858 : 26th Apr 2006 at 6:14 PM.
I can't tell if no one is interested in updating this or if its just off everyone's radar. But I guess since I created an 'update' for OFB and FFS for myself and solved the bumpmapping for those who'd like it, I'll go ahead and create a new zip that includes these files along with my unofficial additions. 2 versions one with GunMods shaders and one with bumpmapping.

I assume this is fine to do. Chocolate Pi hasnt posted here in over 6 weeks and I'm sure there are more people than NONE who'd like these files if they knew I'd done this. So watch for that post in Global Mods/In Testing soon.

I'm also able to add the Maxis definitions of the new lights from OFB and FFS to Gunmod's work as an additional text file. They will only have a single effect per light (Gunmod's all have at least two) because thats how they are defined and I have not as yet made note of what each of these is. But I think defining them as something at all is better than leaving them undefined completely.

Anyway... Coming Soon
Test Subject
#132 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 4:29 AM
As I was the one that pointed out before that this mod disables BumpMapping I will comment again.

woodchuck
All I did was take out the "boolProp Useshaders false" to get bump Mapping to work again, but the link I gave before also pointed out some other things that needed to be changed. You may want to check your %programfiles%\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 ______\TSData\Res\Config\globalProps.xml files, Maxis by default sets bumpmapping to false
Quote:
<AnyBoolean key="bumpMapping" type="0xcba908e1">false</AnyBoolean>

just change that false to a true and you should be good to go.

As for the the removing the "boolprop useshaders off" removing effects that isn't true. I still have the new pool wave effects. I have not removed the shaders package from my downloads folder.

I haven't played in a while but those of you that say you are missing a bunch of stuff like bump mapping indoors. Loosing water effects outside without the startupcheat line. Not having fish. What video cards do you guys have. This whole lighting mod is designed with fairly high end video cards in mind. I have a GeForce 6800 ultra. And as far as I remember I still had the indoor bumpmapping, and all the rest of the whole shebang.

Now I am going to have to go and play the game again just to solve some riddles, from here as well as from my roommate who has issue with bluewater village. I will probalby be back later with more info.

Sorry, but no I will not do ZIPs.
RARs are universal and smaller and I'm on Dial-up. If you can't download a rar file then find out why and fix your computer.

If you have problems getting complete downloads try Mass Downloader. It saves me plenty of hassle.
Test Subject
#133 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chesspieceface
I can't tell if no one is interested in updating this or if its just off everyone's radar. But I guess since I created an 'update' for OFB and FFS for myself and solved the bumpmapping for those who'd like it, I'll go ahead and create a new zip that includes these files along with my unofficial additions. 2 versions one with GunMods shaders and one with bumpmapping.

I assume this is fine to do. Chocolate Pi hasnt posted here in over 6 weeks and I'm sure there are more people than NONE who'd like these files if they knew I'd done this. So watch for that post in Global Mods/In Testing soon.

I'm also able to add the Maxis definitions of the new lights from OFB and FFS to Gunmod's work as an additional text file. They will only have a single effect per light (Gunmod's all have at least two) because thats how they are defined and I have not as yet made note of what each of these is. But I think defining them as something at all is better than leaving them undefined completely.

Anyway... Coming Soon

looking forward to this...and thanks!
Test Subject
#134 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 5:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JVM
...All I did was take out the "boolProp Useshaders false" to get bump Mapping to work again...

Yes, this or just deleting the userstartup.cheat provided by Gunmod will do it if your vidcard is auto-detected high enough.

Quote:
You may want to check your %programfiles%\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 ______\TSData\Res\Config\globalProps.xml files, Maxis by default sets bumpmapping to false...

Not quite... Although it is defined in globalprops that way, the game autoconfigures based on the GraphicRules.sgr file. By editing that file you can change the decisions the game makes about what it should do with your hardware. The change you are suggesting will have no effect at all either way as the graphicrules overrides it.

Quote:
those of you that say you are missing a bunch of stuff like bump mapping indoors. Loosing water effects outside without the startupcheat line. Not having fish. What video cards do you guys have

All of those things will be missing if 'useshaders' is set false, whether by cheat file or by the game's autodetect routine. Those are all shader effects.

On a side note, it turns out that Gunmod's shader package apparently does not perform specular highlighting. It does however have a hidden function... but more on that later I think.
Test Subject
#135 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 7:30 AM
Chesspieceface,

I just did a test run again, and tested a couple of the outfits that I know for a fact have bumpmaps, and yes they were missing indoors. I believe that either I had enough lighting last time I checked for that or I had to much going on to notice that it wasn't there. I haven't really played since shortly after this mod was released. I have been doing mostly building as I am working on a completely custom neighborhood.

I would be interested in knowing what you did to get the bumpmaps back indoors and I am a bit confused by the .nlo files as most of them are empty but the ones that are not empty are all commented out, aren't they? I thought that "hey if it's got ###### in front of every line then those lines aren't really being read so why are they there?

Any additional info by anyone on this would be great. I'm going to have to go look at Numenor's custom lights now. Maybe those will help shed some light on this.

OUCH bad pun, it really wasn't intentional. well off to do things now.

RARs are universal and smaller and I'm on Dial-up. If you can't download a rar file then find out why and fix your computer.

If you have problems getting complete downloads try Mass Downloader. It saves me plenty of hassle.
Test Subject
#136 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 8:14 AM
I discuss in the posts on the previous page how I reenabled indoor bumpmapping.

It's true that Gunmod's .nlo replacements are all null or commented out, the originals are not though. Those are being used as placeholders in case the game needs to find a file with that name. He moved all of that information to the core Sims2 Lights folder and reorganized it all, and altered a lot of the lighting effects and setups.

I have prepared a version with both bumpmapping enabled and all of Maxis' OFB and FFS .nlo info ported into the RLS framework. It also includes the properly named dummy files for those two expansions also. It is in some mild testing at the moment but I should have it up here hopefully by the weekend.
Test Subject
#137 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 6:34 AM
Thanks for the info, and all the work. I look forward to trying out your version of the mod when it comes out. I'm still a little confused by all of this but that is probably because I'm working on to many trinkets at a time. Well off to figure out how to do another mod now, oh wait that is two other mods. :-)

Test Subject
#138 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 4:51 PM
I'm having issues with 2.1 and strobe lights in my game, and was told that 2.2 would solve the conflict (or whatever is going on). The trouble is, I'm a complete novice at handling this type of file. I don't want to mess everything up horribly or endup with an unstable mod that needs constant tweaking. I realize that this is an unfinished project, but if its stable and functional at this stage, I'd like to give it a try. Should install the current version, or wait a bit? Also, if I DO install it, is there anything else I need to manually do that is not in the basic instuctions?

Also, a big thank you to all who have undertaken this project! I'm looking forward to seeing it (and strobe lights) in my game! You modders amaze me!

Don't be fooled by the name, I'm a girl.
Lab Assistant
#139 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 7:17 PM Last edited by woodchuck : 3rd May 2006 at 8:49 PM.
submited a demo of the effects of "boolprop useshaders false/true" on bumpmaps and
specular highlights to google video.

Status:Done! check page 15 _______________________ verified

Edit: Its done! check page 15
Test Subject
#140 Old 1st May 2006 at 7:47 AM
@ Johnyvii: This version works fine, but I will be submitting one updated for OFB and FFS along with a tweak to enable indoor bumpmaps by tomorrow so, personally I'd reccomend that.

@ woodchuck: A demo of the difference between running the game in DX7 mode and DX9? To prove / point out what exactly?
Test Subject
#141 Old 1st May 2006 at 10:19 AM
Thanks!

Don't be fooled by the name, I'm a girl.
Lab Assistant
#142 Old 1st May 2006 at 8:13 PM

@ woodchuck: A demo of the difference between running the game in DX7 mode and DX9? To prove / point out what exactly?

it shows the difference between leaving the "boolprop useshaders false" in the startup cheats file and removing it. The improvement in the specular highlights must me shown i can't explian it,its quite impressive
Test Subject
#143 Old 2nd May 2006 at 2:02 AM
I was told by Argon who was on GunMod's dev team that the highlights were never enabled in the package. :shrug:
Test Subject
#144 Old 3rd May 2006 at 1:09 AM
So if you have Pixel Shader 3 instead of 2 will the shading not work? I'm not very technically-knowledgeable so forgive if its a dumb question. I have a Radeon X1300.
Test Subject
#145 Old 3rd May 2006 at 1:19 AM
Also, will it work with the new OFB and FFS lights?
Lab Assistant
#146 Old 3rd May 2006 at 8:44 PM
Finished :D

useshader true/false effect on specular highlights

shaders false

2."boolprop useshaders false"removed from usercheats file

Useshaders true

useshader true/false effect on bumpmaps

Bumpmaps off

4."boolprop useshaders false"removed from usercheats file

Bumpmaps on
Test Subject
#147 Old 6th May 2006 at 2:04 AM
@Thaliasama: The game uses PS2 not 3. And yes my new version will incluse the OFB & FFS lights and windows.

@woodchuck: I do see the difference in the spec videos, but it makes me wonder what video card and which expansions you have. It seems to me the counters do that in my game.

The bumpmapping videos are unfourtunately too grainy to see a difference in bumps.
Lab Assistant
#148 Old 6th May 2006 at 6:55 PM

@woodchuck: I do see the difference in the spec videos, but it makes me wonder what video card and which expansions you have. It seems to me the counters do that in my game.

The bumpmapping videos are unfourtunately too grainy to see a difference in bumps.

videocard: ATi 9800pro drivers: 6.4

all setings on high.

Nightlife and OFB, but not uni or FF

What else would you like to know?

and as for the bumpmap test,nevermind i uploaded the wrong size,all it shows is ethier bumpmaps or no bumpmaps.
Lab Assistant
#149 Old 7th May 2006 at 10:34 AM Last edited by kilner89 : 7th May 2006 at 11:15 AM.
Is there a way to turn off the pool's special effects ive looked at all the files but cannot see it to change it. Oh and why cant i see the pc's screen? anyway to fix this, other than the water effect and the pc screen i would have to say this is one awesome mod, been usuing it a while just finally got sick off the water effect, as it only waves when the camera is moving and not really noticed the pc moniters, they are pure black.
Lab Assistant
#150 Old 12th May 2006 at 5:54 PM
0_0 too much computer talk.. My brain.. it buuuuurrnns.

Thank you :D
Page 6 of 16