Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Maxis "Lost & Found" #4: The Matte Sphere *OPEN CONTEST*

by Numenor Posted 6th Jan 2005 at 6:28 PM - Updated 16th Feb 2009 at 12:21 AM by Numenor : Added several Animated Spheres by Pixelhate

85 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 83 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 4
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 7th Sep 2005 at 9:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xbuttcheecksx
would be cool if someone made that into one of those earth globes

That just sparked an idea in my head! (woohoo i am so clever....not)
Anyhoo, someone could make a huuuge one of those and then extract the photos from Google Earth and wrap it around it so it is a really realistic globe!

Sorry, its not that good of an idea! :smash:

Taking Sky Scraper Requests!
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 10:06 AM
I tried to create a globe out of the solid version, but I have yet to figure out how to use SIMPe, most of the tutorials tell you how to quick edit the color of an ingame object. I can't seem to get it to open a custom object and let me add a new color option without something going wrong, usualy ending with an empty package file.

Anyway, if someone can point me to a really good tutorial about custom objects with the most recent version of SIMPe, or better yet willing to make it for me, that would be great. I was trying to make it look old with wood and sienna toned maps, even an old map of the world with some incorrect continents.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 9th Dec 2005 at 2:27 AM
While nosing around in SimPE, I have found textures and files for a broken snowglobe...is that this object, or something completely different?

Jen
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 9th Dec 2005 at 10:26 AM
No, it's a different object, I still haven't understood if it's an hidden (and still undiscovered) object or it's part of a known Maxis object.
I think it's an hidden object, because I couldn't find any Object Data for it.

I'll inspect the game files further (I see that there are some animations, too...), and if the missing parts can be rebuilt, I'll post it as a new "Maxis Lost & Found" object. Unless you want to do this by yourself, of course: after all you have found the texture, and if you want to post the hidden object by yourself, you have the precedence

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 9th Dec 2005 at 1:35 PM
Oh my no, I'm clueless about this sort of thing! I don't know anything about extracting objects, I only know how to use the export button in SimPE to pull out textures to mutilate If you're willing to take the project on, it's all yours!

Jen
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#56 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 3:17 AM
OK, then. Thanks for the input, though!

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Instructor
#57 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
BTW, Numenor, I kept on forgetting to tell you that when I watched the Return of the King extended (the extras), I heard "Numenor" mentioned many times and I was like, "Hey, so that's where he got his name!" LOL

I knew about the LOTR connection (yes, I'm a geek ), but it also struck me that "Numenor" evokes similar words, like "Enumerate," so it works on several levels, since he's certainly a wizard with numbers!
Test Subject
#58 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 12:03 PM
Those are awesome, but could you by chance make the stone sphere in .zip format, other than .rar format?
Test Subject
#59 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 9:29 PM
Oh, never mind. Forgot about the winRAR. (Duh!)
Forum Resident
#60 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 2:46 AM
Cool! Thanks! :sci:
Forum Resident
#61 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 5:51 PM Last edited by Miien : 25th Jan 2006 at 7:37 AM.
This is idd really cool, thanks tons.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 7:24 PM Last edited by niol : 16th Feb 2006 at 11:34 AM.
I just wonder if it's free to allow users to recolour it?

Also, it seems I can't use the standard recolour procedure to do it, coz in my case, the recolouring process stopped at the "subset selection" window and can't finish up. If it's free to recolour it, how should I proceed it? Have I to clone it with a diiferent guid and enable recolouring for it by then?

I just want soe recolours for both parts of it...
"it" means "MTS2_33202_Numenor_SphereMatte_GrayAndGlass".
But the other two are great examples to learn more...
By the way, is it possible to make a mirror recolour as well. I'm just obsessed with the sphere. :P

Is the texture material for [Maxis' "Lost & Found" #2: The Stainless Barbecue] already in-game. Coz I'm thinking if I can use that texture for the shere...

I'm using SimPE 0.52-alpha along with DDS utility (Well, if I mispell it, my bad, the one needed for texture imporatation), psp8, DX oct 2005 with managed, p4-3ghz, 1gb ddr ram.

16/02/2006, Update:
just link my recolours here coz it was not linked together automatically...
Miscellaneous - Moi's recolours for Numenor's Maxis "Lost & Found" #4: The Matte Sphere
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=1060549
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 7th Feb 2006 at 12:51 AM Last edited by Numenor : 24th May 2006 at 9:57 AM.
Default Thread Update
07 FEB 2006 - Complete renewal of all the existing Spheres + Added a couple of recolours.

After more than 1 year since the starting of this thread, I could see that still there is some interest about these strange objects
But these packages were created long ago, using outdated tecniques, and therefore I've updated and fixed all the packages posted so far by myself and by other users.

1) The original "Matte Sphere" - formerly brought to you as a "Maxis Lost&Found" - has been completely rebuilt: now it is a recolourable stand-alone object, and a new UVmap has been provided for the mesh.
2) The Gray & Glass recolour by RGiles has been updated, too.
3) The Man-Trap Sphere by Wes_H (not recolourable) has been completely rebuilt.
4) The most famous SuperSphere by JWoods has been updated and heavily fixed: now it's a complete and funcional outdoor lamp (it's recolourable, but only for the stand).
5) A couple of new recolous -Animated ElectricGlow (sphere only) and Rainbow (sphere and stand) - have been added.
NOTE: All the recolours are for the original MatteSphere only: they won't apply to Wes_H's or JWoods' Spheres (they are different objects!).

To see what we are talking about, look at the following screenshots; from left to right:
1) the Grey&Glass recolour and the original Matte Sphere;
2) the Animated ElectricGlow, the Rainbow recolour, the Grey&Glass recolour and the Original MatteSphere;
3) The Man-Trap Sphere by Wes_H
4) The SuperSphere by JWoods.

1 2 3 4

Lab Assistant
#64 Old 15th May 2006 at 6:17 PM Last edited by helloitsjoe8 : 31st May 2006 at 5:15 AM.
My mutilation.
It's a television, if you can't tell from the photos.
Impractical but cool, in my opinion

The Urban Design
Screenshots
Attached Images

Lab Assistant
#65 Old 24th May 2006 at 4:00 AM
That TV is really cool!

Thanks for the sphere Numenor, maybe you could put some animated fishes in it!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#66 Old 24th May 2006 at 10:16 AM
Helloitsjoe8 - Thanks for your submission! Lol! I made a TV out of this sphere, too, but I never posted it. I only used a different UVmapping than yours, so to make the images on the sphere less stretched and deformed.

I'm copied your package (only the RAR) to the first post; so, if you want, you can remove it from your post (but don't remove the images).

Lab Assistant
#67 Old 17th Jun 2006 at 1:03 AM
hehehehehe! i seem to have a minor glitch. they keep coming up to 'Whats This?...' at it and they wont do anything else. its actually quite funny!

If life seems to suck, do the right thing. Put it in a bin.
http://www.atfreeforum.com/waggles/ Visit my forum for chat, spam and fun! I am currently looking for moderators. PM me with your resume.
Field Researcher
#68 Old 13th Oct 2006 at 10:49 AM
Did anyone manage to make lamps out of these, or is this thread so old people have forgotten about it? These would make lovely table and floor lamps as well as outside ones.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 12:04 PM
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 16th Mar 2007 at 11:49 PM
Man spell it correctly, its Númenórë (Elvish) or Númenor (mans little transliteration)
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#71 Old 17th Mar 2007 at 9:40 AM
It was supposed to be Númenor, yes, but I try to avoid non-standard characters in login names (or in filenames, or anything) because you only get troubles: can't log on to a forum, a file doesn't work in someone else's computer, the Clean Installer crashes...
So, it currently is simply "Numenor", but we both know that it means "Númenor" (or Númenórë...)

Lab Assistant
#72 Old 21st Mar 2007 at 10:47 AM
sure, i believe you *ducks*
Test Subject
#73 Old 14th Jan 2008 at 12:58 AM
Erm... Hi! Is this thread still alive? I was just curious as to whether someone had made the animated fishies sphere like alej_r_b mentioned a few posts back. I'm still in the basic learning stage (and I mean really, really basic... I'm lucky I know how to turn on a computer LOL) of Sims items... though I'd love to learn how to do what you guys can do!

Thanks!
Mad Poster
#74 Old 14th Jan 2008 at 4:33 PM
Krynne,

The thread is not closed so it's alive.

The following is where you can learn lots of cool skills to mod the game. good lucks.
http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki.php?title=MTS2:Create
Test Subject
#75 Old 13th Jun 2008 at 2:28 AM
This orb/sphere reminds me alot of the bubble blower, probably because of the awkward shape... Awesome deco. item!
Thanks! <3
Page 3 of 4