Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

global mods - roof - fully-coloured opaque-textured roofs - (20090601, All game versions Compatible)

by niol Posted 2nd Oct 2006 at 8:16 AM - Updated 8th Jul 2009 at 6:49 AM by niol

40 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 34 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 8:27 AM
Just useful for next winter...
Thank you Moi_

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 10:51 AM
Thanks Niol i might need a white roof someday ;-) And sorry for misunderstanding your post at the feedback forum lol ( i thought you wanted feedback for the house )

:-P

You will find my older and newest creations here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 12:20 PM Last edited by niol : 16th Oct 2006 at 2:07 PM.
patul,

Yeah, a snowy winter is one of the causes for this mod's emergence.

corvidophile2,

I'm feeling dumb these days, and I might have just done the same! Just think of my mis-postings of that thread on two places before... No worry...

All,

this mod is to enable roof to be bright and light in colour in the game. So, white roofs is not the only goal here...
One can have light-coloured roofs, say sky blue, lilac, etc...
Field Researcher
#5 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 12:41 PM
Nice hack, but happens to the other roofs?

I'm going to stop modding the sims 2.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 1:30 PM Last edited by niol : 2nd Oct 2006 at 2:57 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Pdrs
Nice hack, but happens to the other roofs?

Thanks for your nice comment, this mod will just brighten and lighten up all the roofs, so most of the default roofs will just become as bright and light just as the way the original textures are.

For those who have attempted to make some snowy roof recolours, now they can use them along with this mod to achive the desired effect.
Surely, it's good to see some new ones if any.

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#7 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 2:31 PM
Very nice Niol. This paves the way for more accurate recolors. Thanks.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 2:57 PM
V1ND1CARE,

Thanks... You've got it..! I'm gonna have a PC lunch time...?
Scholar
#9 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 3:19 PM
Wow...I have been hoping soo long that we could have snowy roofs...And you just make me so happy with this great innovation made with your talent and your hard work.Thank you so much.
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#10 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 4:00 PM
Finally!! Thank you

Currently playing Sims 4 full collection. (and fixing my mods folder)
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 5:19 PM
Yay! I've wanted a white roof for so long! They said it wasn't possible. Thanks you for this.

He wasn't always an EVIL monkey.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 6:07 PM
A white roof!!! Yippeee! Thank you Niol, your hard work is much appreciated.

I've never been married, but I tell people I'm divorced so they won't think something is wrong with me.
- Anonymous

Sideways Garage Tutorial
Forum Resident
#13 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 6:37 PM
Finally white snow covered roofs in the next winter! Thank you for sharing!
hexameter
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 7:09 AM
The excitment is unbarable...yipppy. It has come true, wishes do come true. Winter is just about apond us here in BC, Canada and having a real winter for my Simmies will be a treat. Great work, love.

Tricia

There are no short cuts to a place worth going!
Thankyou for your creative works of art.
They are well appreciated. AKA: Tricia
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#15 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 7:16 AM
Ooooh thanks so much Niol! Not only was it impossible to make white roofing - it was REALLY difficult setting roof recolours due to that unnatural grayish tint the game lies over them all. I will be testing this out with all my existing roofs (rooves?) and Im certain its going to make them look better anyway!! *smooch* great work!!!

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 5:37 PM
I have a question does anyone know of a black roof that still comes in black with this mod?

"It is better to die by the truth than to live by a lie."
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 7:18 PM Last edited by niol : 16th Oct 2006 at 2:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lindaetterlee
I have a question does anyone know of a black roof that still comes in black with this mod?

Theoretically, yes, it should. Low RGB values result in low resultant values. The major factor for the coloration is not a case of addition but multiplication.

So when this mod is used, if the roof texture is dark grey, then the in-game roofs will be dark grey just the same as the roof texture's coloration.
Instructor
#18 Old 4th Oct 2006 at 10:57 AM
Thanks Niol. I have a snow roof (available in my forum at www.Insimenator.net).
It was requested from a friend and I have no time for deep tests now.
The making of snow roofs are not so good because Maxis roofs multiplies one spot in the whole template. So, everything you do will be just a regular pattern that will repeat thru the whole roof. It is boring but maybe will look better with your mod.
Anyone wanting to try can use my roof as basis. I tried long and know that only new techniques can improve the snow on the roofs otherwise it will be just well, partially acceptable.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Oct 2006 at 2:58 PM Last edited by niol : 15th Nov 2006 at 6:25 PM.
xptl297,

That's pretty ironically true, Maxiis mapped the roof in really such a way that it's hard to add extra patterns on them easily.

It's gonna take some tests to find out which parts of the map are for which parts of the roofs...

It's gonna take some hard thinking to figure out how to get those patterns done as modularas it can be. Say some well-distributed patterns such as dots. Any bias of a dense or an empty space will break the smoothness of the modularity.

Line-patterning can be a hard work. I assume one has to know which part is for which part of roof while matching the lines without making it look boring. so, study Maxis roof textures may be the way to gain more hints and better insight.

Dot-patterning should be fine in most cases, I believe.

Object-based snow decorations are yet another option to add snow on a lot or even the neighbourhood.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 8th Oct 2006 at 10:56 PM
this looks interesting... can you also post pictures of what some maxis roofs look like after this mod is installed?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 7:31 AM
Test Subject
#22 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 8:59 AM
thank you for the white roof its perdy ... but now i dont hav a black one. eeeeek. and i don't know how to put it back the way it was before. so there is no way to keep the white roof and have the others normal??? can someone please help me. im so dumb
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 1:41 PM Last edited by niol : 16th Oct 2006 at 2:01 PM.
beepbeepcars,

Most of the Maxis base game roofs were made very bright and light texturally. The darkest one is kinda greyish. It's the material shader that darkens all of them, so all the roofs appear no longer brighter than grey.

This mod is to over-ride the original shader in order to show the original roof textures in its full colouration.

Custom dark roofs can be made from dark roof textures for use along with this mod. And, they will be dark still just the same as the dark roof texture one made.

Surely, it's gonna take more roof recolours tailored for this mod to show the usefulness of this mod.

When a user feels tired of the bright roofs, one can simply remove this mod from the downloads folder as suggested.

Thanks, I guess I really messed up the clarity of this mod's usage... Just updated the post for better clarity.
Instructor
#24 Old 27th Oct 2006 at 12:32 PM
I don't know if I'm going farther than my wheels but it seems that next EP will deal on weather changes and maybe everything was saved for this purpose, making it impossible for "poor daring users" go ahead.
Totally white or "snowy" roofs are for very specific season and I don't believe it is now a good idea to make a global change.
In my case, I made the change for a friend and don't have private interest on it.
I'm possibly going to stop at Pets cause in the reality I have much more interest on the building solutions and it is not many to be seen. After the Base Game was out I reported some building handicaps I would like solved and none of them passed all thru the present EPs. The worst of them is that now you can build in totally unlevelled terrain BUT Sims cannot interact in different space levels. So ...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 27th Oct 2006 at 6:50 PM
xptl297,

R U infering that this mod doesn't work in EP4 Pets?

If Maxis solved the no snow problem and give out the options users can get lighter and brighter roof recolours, then, this mod can still be useful to those who haven't that EP.

Have you succeeded to make a snowy roof recolour and display alright along with this mod?

What're the building handicaps you've listed? May list them out at the build mode forum here ... please?

Quote: Originally posted by xptl297
...The worst of them is that now you can build in totally unlevelled terrain BUT Sims cannot interact in different space levels. So ...

Honestly, for everytime Maxis released a new EP, the so-called new build features occasionally excite me but ALWAYS worry me, for I never know which other build feature(s) or major game functions will be taken away as well...

Thanks to the baby-whiners for some nursery needs and Maxis listened... so more things are to be lost?!

NL gives out the diagonal pool option while Maxis just did too much on it by fixating the pool bottom and pool top as well as how the pool is structured that kills some other features of the original swim-pool. Although I dislike the pool depth layers in some instances, but they can be beautiful decorations.
May check out the lot Meithjeuloi in the bse game or UNI and you'll realise what're missed in the recontuction of the swim-pool.
That was an excitement to learn about the diagonal pool but also several disappointments that the pool layers started to be fixated probably due to the demand of the baby-whiners who don't know how to use te original swim-pool, that swim-pool could no longer be partially deleted, that the pool layers were lost and etc... So, Metranisome's aerial swim-pool with fake pool was toasted and crippled leaving only the fake pool approach.
Anyway, gettihg the custom caustic tiles and wallpapers and the pool surface tiles and pool depth layer tiles work on modded HCP products can already kinda revive an equivalent aerial swim pool with fake pool. Surely, with this approach diagonal swim-pool is not a problem at all, except for 2 sides of the diagonal sides where the TS2 and/or UNI doesn't support the caustics properly.

Yet, I don't think it's not worthy to fool around on it.
Page 1 of 2