Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2007 at 4:07 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Does anyone know how to backup Sims 2 complete?
Hello from Maine,

There are a bunch of females in my family, and all have computers. Whenever they brake I have to reinstall the Sims 2, it's 11 games, it's about 20 disks! It's so annoying. Those hours of my life could be saved if I could back up the whole lot...

I figure a person could back up the Sims 2 complete by saving the folders:

C:\program files\EA Games\
C:\Documents and settings\name\my documents\EA Games

Also some registry settings would need to be exported into a REG file.

The data could be 7zipped or RAR'd, incrementally, to fit across 3 DVD-R and it would save hours at reinstall.

Has anyone done that?

Thanks,
Craig
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Sep 2007 at 4:44 PM
There's no reason to reinstall just because the game has issues. Please read the FAQs in Game Help regarding what to do when your game isn't working or doesn't work as it should.

If you're backing up because you -must- reinstall you just save the My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder. Don't save the stuff in Program Files or expect to be able to get the registry entries out and back in... It's probably possible to do that way but I don't think anyone -has- since you already have the disks with an autoinstaller program and they will install properly for sure that way.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2007 at 7:53 PM
Hey! It can be done!

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/ind...topic=71263.msg

No more installing the Sims 2 with all the expansions
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Sep 2007 at 8:14 PM
*shrug* If that's the way you wanna do it and you have the expertise to do so, sure. Still not necessary to reinstall the game but in VERY limited circumstances, so you're probably just making extra work for yourself... and for 99.9% of people I would recommend strongly against attempting that. It's a lot easier to just let the game do it the way it intends to without messing with stuff you can break.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Theorist
#5 Old 14th Sep 2007 at 4:07 PM
Heh, I did exactly that about 3 weeks ago when I switched from Windows 2003 Server to Vista. It certainly makes the install much easier and tons faster.

My .reg file also puts The Sims 2 and all expansions in Add/Remove Programs so it can be uninstalled the normal way. Well, I didn't try uninstalling anything to test it, but they're all in the list!

Resident wet blanket.
Locked thread | Locked by: JLonier Reason: Answered