Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Altered default NPC and townie names

by jordi Posted 12th Dec 2005 at 7:43 PM - Updated 10th Aug 2007 at 1:35 PM by jordi : instructions edited.

72 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 69 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 3
Test Subject
#51 Old 17th Mar 2007 at 5:10 PM
Okay, great. I was afraid I was going to have to remake them all one at a time. Dank u zeer!
Test Subject
#52 Old 21st Mar 2007 at 8:43 PM
I'm so glad I found this. This is quite possibly the most useful mod I've ever seen on this site. Thank you very much for your work!
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 8th Apr 2007 at 12:59 AM
This is great! I am so sick of seeing the same Sims walk by on every lot in every town I make. Finally new names and faces! Than you! Thank you! Thank you!
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 8th Apr 2007 at 4:38 PM
Thank you for saving my game/maxian created sims from an early death just because I hate their names. Abihjeet (or what the *bleep* his name was) is history! YAHOO! <3 <3

God loved the birds and created trees. Man loved the birds and created cages -Jaques Duvall
Test Subject
#55 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 10:26 PM
this is really great! thank you; is it compatible with seasons?
Instructor
Original Poster
#56 Old 3rd Jun 2007 at 10:34 PM
Yup. It's compatible from at least uni up (and quite likely also the base game).
Almost no chance it will conflict with any future XP also.
Test Subject
#57 Old 22nd Jun 2007 at 8:57 PM
Hi people

Does anyone know of a way to delete only the townies and the NPC's, but NOT my own sims?
I don't want to deleteallcharacters, because I will lose all of my own sims. Or I will have to move them to the lots&houses Bin first, but then they'll lose all relationships with their neighbours..

Any ideas anyone?
Test Subject
#58 Old 17th Jul 2007 at 7:32 AM
Meanwhile, most of (all of?) these names we so hate can be found to belong to the real-life folk who helped bring us this game we love so well..

(Okay, I'm not crazy about a lot of them either!)
Test Subject
#59 Old 17th Jul 2007 at 10:30 PM
Wow thanks so much!!! I was getting tired of those freaky, messed up default names. But is there a way to create custom NPCs and Townies? I hate having butt-ugly mailmen or paper boys! Thanks again Jordi!!
Test Subject
#60 Old 20th Oct 2007 at 5:42 PM Last edited by TwoHorses : 24th Oct 2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: I found out the answer
Thanks for sharing this mod with us, it's such a good idea!

I have a question: my game is not in English, it's in French. If I want to create a name list that will work in my game, do you know what I must change??

Thanks!

-------------
EDIT:
Never mind!!! I found out the answer by myself! (I don't know why I didn't get it the first time, it's so simple...)

Thank you again for letting us use and alter your list as we wish, it's very generous of you!
Test Subject
#62 Old 3rd Jun 2008 at 12:44 AM
I noticed that when I opened the text files the strings would go up to 49 and then restart. Would I have to do the same thing when adding my own names?

Kupo!
Test Subject
#63 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 7:46 AM
I have two questions if anyone reads this:
Question 1: Whats is the strCC flle for? Is it another surname file like str98
Question 2: I notice that there are currently 3 lists (01, 02 & 03) equaling 150, is it possiable for me to add more like 04, 05 equaling it to 250?

Thanks in advanced
Forum Resident
#64 Old 30th Sep 2008 at 4:21 AM
Thanks. I'm getting sick of the Asian names they decided to throw in
Forum Resident
#65 Old 30th Sep 2008 at 5:29 AM
It is compatible to all EPs and XPs (I have them all up to AL installed in my game).

Also, it works even on foreign language installed games - mine is in Portuguese.
Of course it will replace the default NPC names (ridiculous in any language the game may have been installed) for the ones provided by this fix, all English and American names.

"If you suspect you won't like the answer, then don't make the question"
Test Subject
#66 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 10:30 PM
Thanks so much for this! Although I have to admit, people rank on poor Goopy's name all the time, I'm actually quite fond of it (I'm a weirdo).
Test Subject
#67 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 3:50 PM
I wanted to make my own, but I'm having trouble figuring out how. I opened up the str96 notepad file thing and I'm confuse about the lists. What's the difference between the names under 0,1 0,2 and 0,4?

PeaceLoveSims
Inventor
#68 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 7:57 PM
Thank you very much

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up"!
Test Subject
#69 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 1:42 PM
Thank you Jordi, for the info ( ...tutorial ;0)... ) I made my own.

For anyone Confused or thinks this is too much, read posts 15 and 16. The link works and the program is easy and priceless. Just do exactly what Jordie says (and you won't notice #23 is twice in 0.1 'strCC.txt' LOL) and have a good look over the existing notepad files (in 0.1, 0.2, 0.4 the names are just repeated, to answer an earlier question. replace the names in 0.1 and copy the list from '0,(name)' to '49,(name)' and paste under 0.2 and 0.4 consecutively.) it's very self explanitory.
When you have followed that and are confused as to what to do next (just as I was) read and follow exactly post 26 (on the second page.)
Just a note: in sim PE after you 'add' the files, I advise one at a time, so you can name them by typing, for example 'Male Last Names' 'Male First Names' for all four files, in the 'Filename' box just under the 'Text List Editor' heading.
Remember 'strCC.txt' is female Last names. 'str98.txt' is male last names. 'str97.txt' is female first names. 'str96.txt' is male first names.

anyway as stated in post 46, there is a new version that encompases pet names too. I don't adopt pets so I renamed my strays in simPE, LOL, sorry I can't help but giggle as in reality, my husband and I have named all the "strays" in our street, for example we have 'Mangey' and 'Cyclopse' (yep, self explanitory tho I think my Cat did it :0/...) There is 'Jess' Postman Pats cat, and it turned out his name was Jess LOL. Anyway, It goes on from there...getting off track... and I named the sims strays hence forth.

Hope this helps and saves you reading through all the posts (tho this one is very short compared) If you're still lost I would advise reading through all the posts anyway.

Good luck! ^_^
Test Subject
#70 Old 10th Jun 2010 at 1:11 AM
Thank you! I will upload my version of this with the Korean names. I was so tired of seeing "Goopy" and other strange names.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#71 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 4:20 AM
Yay! My fantasy 'hood will have NORMAL* names**!

*By fantasy standards.
**Someone should make a random name generator for CAS that picks from these namelists.
Test Subject
#72 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 2:59 PM
No idea if anyone will see this after five years, but I made my own lists using your instructions (thanks for that!) and tested it in a fresh neighborhood. I saw maybe 25 different townies/NPCs and noticed two things: one, all but three had first names starting with A, and those three had B names; two, despite having several hundred surnames available, several duplicates came up. (Two Olsens and three Dillons, among others.) I couldn't see any pattern in the first names, other than the initial; they weren't alphabetized, and they weren't in the order listed.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#73 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 6:00 PM
Thanks for the instructions on making your own version. I successfully made a version for myself importing names from Castaway Stories and adding a bunch more! I'm excited that my very first small foray into modding any aspect of the game worked the first time, as simple as a name replacer is. Thanks so much!
Page 3 of 3