Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#176 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 11:28 PM
I very seriously doubt it could break a video card. I just don't see how that's possible. It is certainly possible the card could have been faulty to begin with though. I know I've gotten motherboards that were faulty on three different occasions in the past and have had to send them back. I don't think the quality control is too good in some of those factories that mass produce some of those computer parts in Asia.
Advertisement
Instructor
#177 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 11:33 PM
Thanks Motoki, I'm glad it wasn't my fault (being such a greedy downloadaholic) I'm still debating on the better card. My hubby was so mad it broke...he's still complaining. Probably because I took over his computer till mine gets fixed *grin*
Instructor
#178 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 11:35 PM
Motoki -- it is sort of possible that the video cooling fan that shipped with a video card was more ornamental than practical, in which case high use of the video chip set over the course of some months might contribute to the video card failing; but that is a very round-about way of saying it was the fan in the first place, the rendering of high poly-count items was just a "contributing cause of death" but not the primary cause.
Instructor
#179 Old 25th Apr 2005 at 11:41 PM Last edited by Motoki : 26th Apr 2005 at 12:23 AM.
Well yes I suppose, heh. But still the cards really should be able to handle it. Well in a perfect world anyway lol. I actually had a lot of crazy high poly stuff before I cleaned house and my Radeon 9700 has managed to hang in there. But I also abuse the hell out of this card, sometimes I overclock it too. When it starts showing artifacts though, I know the card is telling me I'm going too far.
Instructor
#180 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 1:31 AM
Ok, I'm not good with video cards and all...before the card died there were lines horizontally through everything. For about a week...then it didn't work anymore lol. Are lines bad?
Instructor
#181 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 1:36 AM
It's generally not a good sign no. Neither is checkerboard type patterns.
Instructor
#182 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 1:42 AM
*blushes cause her ignorance is showing* Well, I guess I did break it....don't tell my hubby. Thanks for the info, and answering my stupid questions *grin*
Instructor
#183 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tazzianna
lol beosboxboy you speak so eloquently you should be a writer rather than a programmer.

My mother would thank you for noticing, that I can be well-spoken is the one proof that all that money she spent on my education wasn't completely wasted

I have only one God, Choice. If you remove the right to choose from any equation, how have you improved the world?
Instructor
#184 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Katt1367
*blushes cause her ignorance is showing* Well, I guess I did break it....don't tell my hubby. Thanks for the info, and answering my stupid questions *grin*

Katt1367, it is only by asking questions that we raise ourselves up from ignorance. All questions are a statement of our ignorance, daily I astound myself by how much I do not know about everything. Thankfully, I don't have to ask questions about everything I want to know, I use Google

I have only one God, Choice. If you remove the right to choose from any equation, how have you improved the world?
Test Subject
#185 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 5:59 PM
I'm happy to hear that the "wave" bed is okay! It's been in my game, but I haven't used it yet. I keep looking at it everytime I end up choosing another bed even though I really wanted to use the "wave" bed...LOL! I'm going to use it now...yay! Thanks for the info on the bed!
Lab Assistant
#186 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 12:28 AM
This is a very interesting thread, although I have to admit my understanding here is very limited. I did understand that a box has 8 vertices, like Kiri posted, but the rest is above me (at the moment )

I have checked some of my downloads and found lots of high-poly meshes. I have not had any problems with gameplay since I have a fairly good computer. I like the idea of posting vertex and polygon counts, because that will help me as a downloader to decide what to download. I will still download high-poly stuff, when I like the object well enough. For me this means that some modern objects and plants will have to go, but I won't get rid of wonderful curvy brass beds and antiquities
Instructor
#187 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 8:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Motoki
Regarding Reflexionistin's wave bed, I have it and like CTNutmegger, I actually think the count on it is reasonable. On the other hand, I can see Pinhead's point too about a wave being a fairly simple shape and it probably could be optimized a little more I suppose.

If Reflexionistin can optimize it some and get that count down, that would be great. And if not, I still would use it as it currently is. I don't think that particular mesh is one that people really need to be concerned about at all. At least in my mind it isn't.

lol!
Yep! You are right. sorry for taking that bed as an example (for who didn't uderstand my point), but what i said was related to the shape that you can do with few subdivisions and get the same shape. For me was a little exagerated. Again, was just one example and i can give more too. Recently i got an endtable that is box shaped. It had 12x6 subdivisions in a box! you don't need to make like this. You can just create a box with 8 vertices.
This endtable has less vertices that maxis recommended per tile but why not reducing more?
Instructor
#188 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 4:59 PM Last edited by VAMPY BITES V^^^^V : 27th Apr 2005 at 7:46 PM.
Ok,I didn't read the whole thread,but here it goes.

Could you update SimPee to scan download for the high polygon objects?
This way It would be easier to remove and later fix them for those who know how?

(Not counting me,I just want to find them more easily and remove)

I notice I running a little slow,and I have an high end 'puter that is maxed with Ram, CPU. & Memory.

"S"
V^^^^V

" Enjoy LIFE, 'cause DEATH is just around the CORONER ! ©"
#189 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 7:49 PM
Default Newbie-Help with Delphy's Plug-in!!!
I've never used SimPE before, but my game is running very slow, and I want to check my meshes. I have the newest version of SimPE installed, I've installed the Plugin (to the SimPE folder, NOT the pluging folder), but I don't have ANYTHING in the plugin botton on the bottom half on the screen after I click on the Geometric Data Container. Am I missing a step? I've read through this thread 5 times and checked around other SimPE threads, and I'm lost. Someone please help!!!

Chaosmistress

P.S. Could anyone tell me how to recognize new mesh files? I can't tell them apart from the other files I've downloaded. Is there a noming convention to look for?
Test Subject
#190 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 9:55 PM Last edited by orlandina5 : 27th Apr 2005 at 10:07 PM.
1.You have to select a file(or one of the files in some cases) in a top_right_corner (in the SimPE )after you had clicked Geometric_Data-Container,and (!)then click plugin view.
Try that,I hope my explanation sounds normal)

2.Did you tried CleanInstaller?It's easier than SimPE and you can get it here at MTS,it'll help you to sort out you downloads folder.And Loverat had made a great tutorial :how to organize you downloads;just check all threads started by her.
In Clean Installer new_meshes are called "game objects" .

p.s.please,forgive my English.
#191 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 10:23 PM
Orlandina5,
Thank you so much! That was exactly what I needed...and your English is very good. I'll check out the CleanInstaller tutorial.
Chaosmistress
Instructor
#192 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chaosmistress
P.S. Could anyone tell me how to recognize new mesh files? I can't tell them apart from the other files I've downloaded. Is there a noming convention to look for?

Generally, people put the word "mesh" somewhere in their filename. I've seen some put it at the begining and some at the end but if you search your whole downloads folder for the word "mesh" that should bring most of them up.
Lab Assistant
#193 Old 10th May 2005 at 3:31 PM
I need alittle more steps on how to get to that stage posted that shows the polygon count...I've done it once, but it was out of sheer dumb luck...please help.
#194 Old 11th May 2005 at 5:48 PM
OMG This is frustrating. While checking my downloads I found a shelf unit that was over 9000 and a plant that was over 23000. No wonder my game was crashing.
After two days of checking and only being about 1/4th of the way through, I just got frustrated and deleated the vast majority of my downloads and now I am working on building it back up. It is much more fun to download new things than to check the old ones. I am being careful though. Very careful.
Lab Assistant
#195 Old 24th May 2005 at 9:35 AM
Ok, I'm still stumped and if someone could/would/PLEASE help me, it would be appreciated.
I have the current SimPE and the plugin file downloaded and where its supposed to be...BUT! whenever (supposedly) I open an object and try (stress) to come up w/ something similiar to the image that has been provided by Motoki, all I get is this:

SOOO, what am I doing wrong? What steps am I missing?
Apparently something because I'm not getting the same image as Motoki...please help!
Lab Assistant
#196 Old 24th May 2005 at 9:56 AM
Thanks! I've moved all my meshes into a subfolder and will give it a try... :D
Test Subject
#197 Old 10th Jun 2005 at 7:04 PM
My used to crash before i increased the RAM Memory, now what happens is that the game doesn´t respond when loading houses.
Field Researcher
#198 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 8:58 PM
I heard there is a thread here that has a list of the high polygon sites out there. I have searched and cannot find it. Also, what is considered a high polygon anyway? What is considered a safe bet at not slowing your pc down?
Field Researcher
#199 Old 4th Sep 2005 at 4:10 AM
I have kind of read this thread, but I did not see what would be acceptable for clothing and hair meshes. Can someone answer this for me please? Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#200 Old 10th Dec 2005 at 9:37 PM
:wave: Hello, I hope someone can help me.
I made now my first meshes, now I have an loveseat with 2 tiles, cushion and frame and I read here much about low poly and high poly and all. When I look at my loveseat it shows me this in

Simpe:
Faces = 1199
Vertices = 1692

Milkshape and UVMapper:
Faces = 1199
Vertices = 628

What is now the right and why is there such a difference and is this now high or low, I`m really very confused now. :shrug:

How much Faces and Vertices are low and how much high?

...and please if you explain, maybe you can do it in simple words, because I´m from Germany, sorry. :moose:
Page 8 of 9