Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Base Templates for Making Your Own CAS/BodyShop Faces

by AllenABQ Posted 24th Nov 2005 at 5:11 AM - Updated 26th Oct 2006 at 5:35 AM by AllenABQ

40 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 37 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Instructor
#2 Old 24th Nov 2005 at 9:54 AM
Thank you so much for sharing these files! Not sure if I should add that kind of project to my to-do list, but it's great to know that the possibility exists, and you make it look a little less painful...

Marvine and Beosboxboy at InSIMenator.net and Gay Sims Club 2
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 24th Nov 2005 at 1:42 PM
thank you, i'm all for experimenting, and been wanting to learn this.

[COLOR=Navy]
if your not paranoid, than your not paying attention.
Instructor
#4 Old 24th Nov 2005 at 4:26 PM
cool! i luv trying new things!

learn from your parents mistakes - use birth control!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Nov 2005 at 4:39 PM
Could the CPER and CSLA families only showing for young adults have something to do with the fact that cas on a university neighbourhood has a limited amount of faces for student sims? The normal faces don't show there and the student faces don't show in the normal cas. At least, not in my version anyway.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Nov 2005 at 4:47 PM Last edited by AllenABQ : 24th Nov 2005 at 5:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
Could the CPER and CSLA families only showing for young adults have something to do with the fact that cas on a university neighbourhood has a limited amount of faces for student sims? The normal faces don't show there and the student faces don't show in the normal cas. At least, not in my version anyway.

The CPER and CSLA families exist as 3D data for all age groups, but only the adult faces are defined in other files (young adults are included because they use the adult templates). The alien face doesn't show up in CAS/BodyShop, but it is still fully defined. I think this is an oversight/bug on Maxis's part. It doesn't have anything to do with restrictions on Uni-CAS vs regular-CAS since CPER and CSLA are included in the base game installation files.

I've added a link in the modding text to the original discussion of this mod.
Test Subject
#7 Old 25th Nov 2005 at 8:36 PM
Thanks. I've been trying to do this and you're right, that step is VERY tedious. This should make it easier.
Test Subject
#8 Old 26th Nov 2005 at 8:18 AM
Thanks! It's a much easier process once the base files are out.
A quick question - I didn't have any trouble with most of the families, but I'm having trouble with family 18 (caus, I think). Anyone else have trouble/success replacing this template? It's one of the most hideous, in my opinion.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Nov 2005 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anasazi
Thanks! It's a much easier process once the base files are out.
A quick question - I didn't have any trouble with most of the families, but I'm having trouble with family 18 (caus, I think). Anyone else have trouble/success replacing this template? It's one of the most hideous, in my opinion.

CAUS was the first one I did. I made a better-looking adult male and female in BodyShop and saved those sims. From there, I cloned each of them and just changed them to different ages and made a few minor adjustments. What kind of trouble are you having?
Instructor
#10 Old 28th Nov 2005 at 2:19 AM
Just a question on the age numbers for the gmdc's:

Elders are 4
Adults are 3

But I'm confused about the other ones. I made all the ages for the face I want to replace, but when I open the teen and child files, they contain all the numbers 1,2,3,4, and 7. Which numbers correspond to teen and child? I'm guessing 2 and 1, with 7 being toddler? I didn't want to change it without making sure first.

Thanks!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Nov 2005 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by silvertreedrake
Just a question on the age numbers for the gmdc's:

Elders are 4
Adults are 3

But I'm confused about the other ones. I made all the ages for the face I want to replace, but when I open the teen and child files, they contain all the numbers 1,2,3,4, and 7. Which numbers correspond to teen and child? I'm guessing 2 and 1, with 7 being toddler? I didn't want to change it without making sure first.

Thanks!

0 - toddler
1 - child
2 - teen
3 - adult
4 - elder

I'm not sure where you saw 7? I never came across that when I was doing my edits.
Instructor
#12 Old 28th Nov 2005 at 3:20 AM Last edited by silvertreedrake : 28th Nov 2005 at 3:24 AM. Reason: Just saw the Preview button
Quote: Originally posted by AllenABQ
I'm not sure where you saw 7? I never came across that when I was doing my edits.

Thanks! Here's a screenshot showing age 7. Just wondering what it was.

Oh, aha, I just noticed the Preview button (I'm SimPE-illiterate). Looks like an Elder face - maybe it's for a ghost?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Nov 2005 at 6:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by silvertreedrake
Oh, aha, I just noticed the Preview button (I'm SimPE-illiterate). Looks like an Elder face - maybe it's for a ghost?

I'm not sure. I just looked at a sim's character file of one that I've played in the game. He's currently an adult but has both elder and age "7" face data. He doesn't have age zero face data but I suspect that's because when I created him in CAS he started out as a child.

His younger siblings who started out as toddlers do have age zero face data.

I'd just ignore the age 7 data. It's doesn't have an analog in the CASFaces.package file. If you need the toddler face for your sim, just pull up the adult version in BodyShop, convert to toddler, and save the sim. Then extract the data from that. Just remember that girls and boys of the template group you are altering are going to share the toddler and child faces you settle on.
Instructor
#14 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 5:30 AM
Could the age 7 be the young adults? They are different from the adults though not a lot.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 5:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hedgekat
Could the age 7 be the young adults? They are different from the adults though not a lot.

Highly doubtful. Young Adults use the same head meshes as full adults, and so you see the face templates for them change without having modified specific young adult templates. The slight change is owing to some kind of shading file that is applied to the young adult. I suspect its similar in function to the blue shading overlay that makes sim vampires.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 21st Jan 2006 at 11:51 PM
Wow thanks a ton! I'm trying to learn all kinds of things about sim making and this will help! :*)

~JJ~
Looking for a forum to host your creations? Let's talk. PM me or email me from my site below.

Check out Lucentsims :*) And our forums.
Test Subject
#17 Old 7th Feb 2006 at 10:07 AM
Oh man, you dont know how much i appreciate this. Im going to give this a shot, but i dont know SimPE at all and basically that will make it very difficult.
But since im enthusiastic hopefully this will encourage me to better understand it anyways, i've been itching to do something helpful to my sims and i dont mean just creating new clothes for them or whatever.
Haha, its so funny, i remember back on the BBS perhaps a month or two ago requesting Maxis to make a programme for us to modify our own townie/NPC face preferences (The Programme being in the format similar to Bodyshop that anyone can download)

But what you have done here AllenABQ and Motoki is so much better. I'll keep you noted with my own progress.

And i can happily say all those days 'wasted' making different/realistic/cultural looking sims in Bodyshop can now be used for a brilliant purpose.
If i run into a spot of trouble, is it alright to ask you for help along the way? I do not want to be bothersome or anything. I think I'll be alright, these sorts of things you kind've self teach yourself right? Hope so, cos that principle applied with me when it came to learning HTML/CSS/Java and all that...

"640 Kilobytes of Computer Memory ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates, 1981

If that was today - most of our memory limit would be exceeded within a minute downloading content from MTS2 :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 10th Feb 2006 at 6:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zaimaou
Oh man, you dont know how much i appreciate this. Im going to give this a shot, but i dont know SimPE at all and basically that will make it very difficult.
But since im enthusiastic hopefully this will encourage me to better understand it anyways, i've been itching to do something helpful to my sims and i dont mean just creating new clothes for them or whatever.
Haha, its so funny, i remember back on the BBS perhaps a month or two ago requesting Maxis to make a programme for us to modify our own townie/NPC face preferences (The Programme being in the format similar to Bodyshop that anyone can download)

But what you have done here AllenABQ and Motoki is so much better. I'll keep you noted with my own progress.

And i can happily say all those days 'wasted' making different/realistic/cultural looking sims in Bodyshop can now be used for a brilliant purpose.
If i run into a spot of trouble, is it alright to ask you for help along the way? I do not want to be bothersome or anything. I think I'll be alright, these sorts of things you kind've self teach yourself right? Hope so, cos that principle applied with me when it came to learning HTML/CSS/Java and all that...

Have at it, Zaimaou. I'll try to answer questions where I can. I'm not a big expert on SimPE myself.
Test Subject
#19 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 8:04 PM Last edited by TreyNutz2 : 20th Feb 2006 at 1:45 AM.
Are their any known conflicts with replacement template package files? Not including other template replacements.

I made a set of templates from Simposieum self sims here:
http://www.simposieum.com/smf/index...g14817#msg14817

They work in my game fine, but for one person most of the templates do not. When she removed her Downloads folder they all worked, but she has 1GB of custom content and would like to know if I had any ideas what might be the problem.

I'm clueless. I would guess a hack of some kind. I wouldn't think any custom clothes or objects would be the cause. Maybe different body meshes would conflict?

I combined all of your default template data into 27 different package files - one for each template family. So each package file contains the facial data for all age groups and both genders for one template family. Apparently only 4 work unless her downloads folder is removed.

If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

edit: she found it: "old Body Shop starter pack file (classified as skin tones)"
Test Subject
#20 Old 19th Apr 2006 at 12:13 AM Last edited by interwurm : 19th Apr 2006 at 12:23 AM.
puArchCperLOD15_tslocator_gmdc, and puArchCslaLOD15_tslocator_gmdc are missing. This may be part of the problem for those sets. I don't know.

Also, age 7 *is* young adult. However, you can replace an adult facemesh with it with no problems. Treynutz, I did the same thing. (combining them into 27 files.)

It turns out my problem so far is just thinking up ways to do new faces. So far, I have 3 euro- faces, one jewish/italian face, 1 afro- face, and 3 sino- faces. Chinese noses are difficult to do!

It's funny, after you do a lot of faces with normal sized eyes, the 'normal' sims look *really* creepy.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 1st May 2006 at 2:28 AM
i have a question, becuase i'm kind of stuck., and i am not sure if i should post it here or in the tutorial...
anyways....

I skipped the steps up to "now find a sim whose facial structure you like...."
i opened the file of the sim, and extracted the correct files, what is really confusing me is that there are two files that are extracted and it says to replace the file with the data i extracted from the sim when replacing only allows one file to be put in... and when i extract the files from my sim, it gives me two.... i'm not sure wich file to replace it with.
the one with the globe? or the 'rar looking file"?
i'm really confused, and i'm sorry if this a stupid question. I read the tutorial over and over again, i read this page too, more than twice.
Is there a place in which i have to put the face file other than my downloads folder?

This leads to my actual face template, it does appear, but it's all messed up and deformed!!!!!!! i'm happy i was able to make it show up, but i was hoping for something much more beautiful than that!!

!!!!!!HELP!!!!!! please...
Screenshots
Test Subject
#22 Old 5th May 2006 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EliValentine213
i have a question, becuase i'm kind of stuck., and i am not sure if i should post it here or in the tutorial...
anyways....

I skipped the steps up to "now find a sim whose facial structure you like...."
i opened the file of the sim, and extracted the correct files, what is really confusing me is that there are two files that are extracted and it says to replace the file with the data i extracted from the sim when replacing only allows one file to be put in... and when i extract the files from my sim, it gives me two.... i'm not sure wich file to replace it with.
the one with the globe? or the 'rar looking file"?
i'm really confused, and i'm sorry if this a stupid question. I read the tutorial over and over again, i read this page too, more than twice.
Is there a place in which i have to put the face file other than my downloads folder?

When you extract each file, you do get two files saved. When I did the replace step, I always used the .xml file. I got a weird face also once or twice. I just redid the exrtacting and replacing and the face was fixed. Perhaps you accidentally switched the normal and LOD files? I assume that's what I did.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 7th May 2006 at 7:24 PM
^_^ yay thanks so much!!!!

i put my favorite sims on my avatar because i admire them so much ^_^
Field Researcher
#24 Old 8th May 2006 at 11:23 PM Last edited by CtfG : 8th May 2006 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Typo correction
I tried to replace face #03 (erus) with one of my own creations. Everything worked fine, though it's a task that requires very much concentration. After deleting the cas-thumbnail file, I started TS2, went into CAS and saw my faces correctly for each gender and age group. But... The very moment I click on that face in the face selection, TS2 aborts and crashes back to desktop. The heads though, which were created in BodyShop and kept just for backup reasons, can be selected.

Now my question: I put all 16 'gmdc' files into 1 single package file. All the downloads from this site though show 8 files for one face template. Is it necessary to separate the templates by age and gender into these 8 files, or can they be put into one single file?

Thanks
Instructor
#25 Old 9th Oct 2006 at 11:47 PM
FWIW, I just put a new set up the other day:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=194488
Page 1 of 2