Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 2:20 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Compressed Archive Folders Error When Trying to Install CC
So, this is definitely new since switching to Windows 11. Not sure if it's 11's fault, but I know this never used to happen in the old days.

Sometimes, when trying to drag, or copy/paste, or extract files to my Downloads folder or double clicking on a Sims 2 Installable Pack to install the content I get an error that says:

Compressed Archive Folders Error

Windows cannot complete the extraction.

The destination file could not be created.

Error 0x8096002A

I've tried Googling and tried fixes off of YouTube but nothing helps. Tried using 7zip as well. Also, when right clicking on these files the only options I have are "Open" and "Copy" so you can't even get to Properties or anything like that.

Any help for this or are these files forever unusable?

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 2:46 AM
When this happens:
- Can you open the archives without getting errors?
- Are the files visible, or is the archive empty?
- Do the archive files have a size bigger than 0 kb?
- For Sims2pack files, have you tried extracting, copy/pasting or dragging the file to outside the archive and then installing?

I've noticed that Windows 10 sometimes doesn't complete downloads properly, which could be an issue for Windows 11 too. They'll usually show with a 0 KB size, and sometimes alongside a ".Part" file. If this is the case, you need to redownload.

.7zip should give you an extra option called "7zip..." in the list when you right-click, which gives you access to more options. If those aren't available, it's possible the installation wasn't done properly, or perhaps you unticked some options (like having it accessible in the menus).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 2:49 AM
I can open the archive folder fine, but can't take the files out of it, if that makes sense. Files are visible and look normal. Not 0 kb on the archived/zipped folder or on the files within.

If I try to copy this Sims 2 Installable package to the desktop for instance I get this error:
Screenshots