Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

SmartDoor v0.108 for University or Nightlife (30 Dec 2008 updated)

by tunaisafish Posted 8th Feb 2006 at 12:31 AM - Updated 14th Mar 2009 at 5:18 AM by tunaisafish : Updated mod

147 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 144 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 6
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 1:37 AM
it gets as far as saying show settings but the only settings are either making it visible or invisible and nothing else.
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 2:19 AM
Now this is the mod I've been wanting without knowing that I wanted it until I saw your post here. I'm definitely going to be trying this out in my games. Thanks.

Sims 2
The only reason Windows is on my PC.
Slippery When Wet
Original Poster
#28 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 4:31 AM
@xptl297
You can use this door to change the sims into everyday from work clothes...

Match Current Outfit... (Match all the suitable outfits for your housewear)
Changes if not Matched
Change into (Everyday)...

@Savannah
The door is supposed to hide all the menus if it finds itself on a wall that does not divide two rooms. So it may be a build problem.
Make a new simple square room in the yard place the door on one of those walls to see if the menus appear.
#29 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 7:33 AM
Default Thanks
This has got to be the single most best idea, as a matter of fact I had thought about writing and requesting someone to do something like this (IE - be able to assign a door to someone.) Here you did it before I could ask, and even went a little further with being able to assign keys -THANK YOU!! I am using Sim 2 and only Nightlife, and it is working fine.
Scholar
#30 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 4:22 PM
Thanks

Please note - I'm not taking any requests at the moment.

You may include my items in your uploads but please credit with a link to either the object or my creator page please.

My Sims 2 videos
Slippery When Wet
Original Poster
#31 Old 9th Feb 2006 at 6:49 PM Last edited by tunaisafish : 9th Feb 2006 at 6:58 PM.
Default Smart Door Items Collection file
@Leonard Good - Thanks for the Nightlife report.

@all
I've added a collection file so you can find all the smart doors in one place.
Yes - be amazed at my icon drawing abilities

Unzip this file and place it where you put the tunaisafish_smardoor.package (eg. in Downloads), OR put the file in your 'Collections' folder. It doesn't seem to matter.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 10th Feb 2006 at 8:16 PM
Thank you!

Poetry soothes the mind, art pleases the eye, but music touches the heart.
Test Subject
#33 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 4:02 AM
Beautiful work! Blows me away. *^_^* Thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 12th Feb 2006 at 6:04 AM
I'll try that
Test Subject
#35 Old 13th Feb 2006 at 10:18 AM
very useful object. thanks tunaisafish

...somebody's doing a great job. I'm just glad its not me. I couldn't handle the pressure.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 3:44 AM
it doesn't work with uni. i've tried and tried but it's not working
Slippery When Wet
Original Poster
#37 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 4:06 AM
@All,

New version up, the only thing you will see that's different is a new menu option under the Access menu beginning with "NOW".
If you press that when a preset mode is chosen it'll give a brief summary of who will pass and who will be halted. Read the settings in order until you find the first match.

If you use this menu in the custom mode, then you will see some scary numbers.
Ignore these for now, but later I will add a facility where you can edit your own file
to store your favourite settings under a menu of their own.

@Savannah, was it the same problem with the menu's not showing correctly?
If it is still that then I can disable the 'rooms must be different' test for Uni only installs.
Also, have you installed the latest patch from EA?

If you got past that step and other wierd stuff happened, the one I just uploaded should cure that.
Thanks again for testing this.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 5:20 AM
It's working now! YAY!!!
Slippery When Wet
Original Poster
#39 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 5:58 AM
Great news Savannah, and thanks for sticking with it

@all
New update:
I fixed a rare bug where the sims would sometimes flash the icon of an object behind a 'private' door.

I added 4 more doors to the main package for those of you that have both expansion packs installed. If you are lacking either Nightlife of University, then blank icons would show in your catalogue. So if you don't have both EPs, install the lite version instead, as this contains the bugfix too.

Hope that makes sense.
You need one or the other, not both downloads.

The collection file is the same whatever you install.
Theorist
#40 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tunaisafish
Great news Savannah, and thanks for sticking with it

@all
New update:
I fixed a rare bug where the sims would sometimes flash the icon of an object behind a 'private' door.

I added 4 more doors to the main package for those of you that have both expansion packs installed. If you are lacking either Nightlife of University, then blank icons would show in your catalogue. So if you don't have both EPs, install the lite version instead, as this contains the bugfix too.

Hope that makes sense.
You need one or the other, not both downloads.

The collection file is the same whatever you install.
Thank you, Tunaisafish, for a great new door system! I like Inge's classic SimLogical doors, but found that the inability to lock a door from both sides was causing me to build space wasting and unrealistic "airlock" corridors to block traffic in both directions.

These SmartDoors are almost too smart for me, but I think I'm beginning to get the hang of them! I do find it confusing that the green arrow points to the exit or unsecure area, which is the opposite convention to Inge's.

If you are taking requests and the original object creators are amenable, would you consider a Smart Invisible Door and a Secret Bookcase Door?

Cheers - David
Slippery When Wet
Original Poster
#41 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 12:45 PM
Hi David,

Yeah, I knew the arrows on Inge's doors go the other way. I agonized whether to change this, but as the Maxis Myne door is set up this way I thought by doing it this way would fit better with future doors.
Then I see that the stupid shop door has been drawn the other way round! The 'door closer' is on the outside of my version. Oh well, lets wait to see what OFB brings.

I don't take requests meaning that I will hack to order, but sure request away. I'll treat them a suggestions

Thanks for those links. Those two doors really do 'fit' with the whole privacy code of the smart door. You're not the first to suggest the bookcase door either.
For now though they're on the 'look at later' tod list, as I'm working more on the smartness that I described in the readme.

The invisible door might be difficult to do as I'll have to work out if you can still get the menu by clicking on something that is not there.
The bookcase would need a lot of work, as it is a double door, not a singe. Making smart double doors are also on that same todo list.
Theorist
#42 Old 9th Mar 2006 at 9:46 PM
The invisible door might be difficult to do as I'll have to work out if you can still get the menu by clicking on something that is not there.
The bookcase would need a lot of work, as it is a double door, not a singe. Making smart double doors are also on that same todo list.
Yes, I thought about this problem with invisible door access control just after I posted. You've probably thought of this by now, but three possible methods came to me:

1) Have a separate controller
2) Make the door invisible on one side only
3) Have a menu popup as soon as you hover near with the mouse (don't know if this is possible with doors)

Cheers - David
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 10th Mar 2006 at 11:24 AM
Thanks. I wonder if it will work in my game with just uni because if it does something to my Garza familia i'll be killing the toddlers. x.x Thanks again!
Test Subject
#44 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 2:41 PM
Does this work with OFB? I put some in my house and have home business and the customers just waltz right on through despite it being set for No Visitors.

I can't get *ANY* of the custom doors to properly lock out visitors to my lots since installing OFB... the clothing change feature seems to work ok though, which is pretty cool.
Slippery When Wet
Original Poster
#45 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 9:25 AM
I'll take a look at the visitors code. I need to do an update for OFB as I see that the list of NPC's that should never be halted has grown. All of the homehelp NPCs will be immune to the settings with OFB (maids, gardeners, etc).

It's safe to use with OFB in that it won't kill your sims or make your lot go splodie.
Should have an OFB update (or new OFB version) out over the coming weekend.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#46 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 10:27 AM
Cheetah they stuck in a load of unlocking stuff in the door globals since OFB. I am currently attempting to address this with a patch.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 20th Mar 2006 at 6:05 AM
Should have an OFB update (or new OFB version) out over the coming weekend.

Yay!! I love these doors SO much! I look forward to being able to use them in OFB.
Retired Live Chat Moderator
#48 Old 30th Mar 2006 at 8:28 PM
With all the new locking code for OFB and all I want is just clothes changing... if it was me, I'd just remove everything else for my personal use and if you did that for your downloaders, I bet they'd appreciate that option a lot.

:lion:
Deedee
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 11:08 AM
Thanks so much for this, a great addition to my game now that Inge has gone (or has she/he moved their creations?).

off-topic:
babydawl1880: Loving the icon ^_^ (also a jack/daniel shipper)
Test Subject
#50 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 8:15 PM
As far as I know, Inge isn't coding hacks anymore. However, all his/her stuff is being kept in an archive here:

http://www.nectere.net/smf/index.php

Being as it's spread out over a ton of threads and such, I've taken the liberty to also provide a complete mirror of Inge's hacks, in a single download. Enjoy.

http://www.pkunk.net/sims/Simlogical_Compilation.rar

And as a final note, I don't think these 'SmartDoors' are working correctly with OFB, still. Unless I missed an update.
Page 2 of 6