Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Call Private School Phone Plug-in (Updated 11/7/2006)

by syberspunk Posted 18th Feb 2006 at 4:59 AM - Updated 7th Nov 2006 at 6:58 AM by syberspunk : updated for ZOMGPETS!!!111oneone

75 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 72 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#26 Old 27th Mar 2006 at 4:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheVampirePandora
I'm having a problem with the private school options not showing up when I have my sims use the phone.

Uhh... Can you vague that up for me? just a little bit more? :P

If I am going to even try and help you, please answer the following questions:

1) Have you read the first post to make sure you understand how this works?
2) What is it exactly that you are you trying to do?
3) What exactly is your problem?
4) Do you get any real errors, like a "jump bug" or "frozen" sim?

Otherwise... good luck with that. :shrug:

Ste
Test Subject
#27 Old 28th Mar 2006 at 9:21 PM
I hope this is clear enough Ok I can not get the private school enroll legacy menu to come up when I click on call. I've been trying to use it in a house where there are 4 students already in private school and now I am trying to get the youngest one in. I have completed the headmaster scenario for the older ones. I have Uni and Nightlife and no other phone hacks. hmm I do have the insiminator though. Also I think I have a jump bug(is this where the sim runs superfast?) Also the mother (the same one that runs superfast) has her hand frozen halfway in the air. Also the dad has what looks like steam or smoke around his upperbody but when I disable this plugin it goes back to normal. I hope you can help
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#28 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 6:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by csigirl27
I hope this is clear enough Ok I can not get the private school enroll legacy menu to come up when I click on call. I've been trying to use it in a house where there are 4 students already in private school and now I am trying to get the youngest one in. I have completed the headmaster scenario for the older ones. I have Uni and Nightlife and no other phone hacks.

1) Make sure that your students already in private school actually have memories of getting into private school.

2) Make sure the children that you are trying to legacy enroll:
  • Do NOT have a memory of getting into high school
  • Have at least a C or better

hmm I do have the insiminator though.

They should not conflict. I have the InSimenator too. So this should be ok.

Also I think I have a jump bug(is this where the sim runs superfast?)

No. The 'jump' bug is when a sim looks like they jumped in place. They would be in the middle of doing an interaction, either using an object or socializing with another sim. Then... suddenly the sim would 'jump' out of place and stop using the object or both sims involved would 'jump' away from each other. The sim might be close to the object they were using or close to the other sim they were socializing with, but whatever action they were performing is now stopped.

Also the mother (the same one that runs superfast) has her hand frozen halfway in the air. Also the dad has what looks like steam or smoke around his upperbody but when I disable this plugin it goes back to normal. I hope you can help

The frozen hand is a typical, general animation bug. It sometimes goes away on it's own. Alternatively, you can turn on debug mode using the boolprop testingcheatsenabled true cheat command and then either:

a) delete the stuck sim OR
b) shift click on the stuck sim, and choose 'Force Error'

I'm not sure what the steam or smoke might be. That might also be an animation or 'special effect' bug. I have had errors where the glow from the Elixir or the water/bubbles from a shower or swimming become stuck on a sim. This also sometimes goes away. You can probably also fix this using the above methods I mentioned. These should be unrelated to my hack and most likely purely coincidental.

If you are still having problems getting the options to show up in your game, please do the following:

1) Turn on the debug mode and play your game as normal, WITH the hack in place

2) Make sure your Custom Content is ENABLED

3) If you get any problems that bring up the Error Log Dialog box (which provides you the options to Reset, Delete, or Cancel). Pick any choice, make note of the NAME and LOCATION of the error log, Quit your game WITHOUT saving. zip or rar up the error log, using some program (winzip, winrar, etc.) Post the error log here as an attachment.

Alternatively... you can open up the error log in Notepad, and try to copy and past the first two pages or so, and include it in your post.

4) Additionally, perhaps you can take pictures in game, that show your sims, with the 4 children who are already in private school, with memories of getting into private school. Then take a picture of the child you are trying to legacy enroll, who should have at least a C and NO memory of getting into private school.

If they have a memory of getting into private school, and somehow you set them to public school. Then the option to 're-enroll' into private school should show up instead.

Do you at least get the options to 'Quit' private school?

Also... make sure you have the latest version.

Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to do some retesting, but last time I updated to fix the Uni related problems, it all seemed to work for me.

Ste
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 9:31 AM
Hi-- sorry I've been out of it for a while.

I've downloaded your new version and can report that the 'phones work in my Uni lots: dorms, community and secret society. Cell 'phones work too. But I'm still getting a glitch... I don't get the 'call private school' option on my 'phone in a regular lot. This was tested in a lot with a child who has the 'got into private school' memory and for whom the Headmaster scenario was enacted. There is another child in the lot who is a public school student with a C grade (hey-- she's only just been adopted!). The only options that come up when an adult goes to use the 'phone are the standard ones. Yours don't come up at all.

I really don't know why this isn't working... here is a list of my installed hacks, if it's any use... Some of them (the tombstones and urns) are newly installed and untested, but I can't think why a grave hack would interfere with a 'phone hack. Then, I don't understand hacking. Anyways...

Quote: Originally posted by Thanlienh's hacks
urnfamily.package
urnwealth.package
urnromance.package
urnknowledge.package
urnfriends.package
gravestone.package
callprivateschool.package
bandcontroller_patch_V3.package
zCBOY_nudist.package
Yellowpeeobject.package
Yellowpeehack.package
TS2Studios02B.package
Telescope_x5.package
Telescope_x10.package
StormyEmotionBird.package
Sim Effects.package
Shrubtoilethack.package
ReadingSkills.package
Multi_Pollination_Technician.package
Multi-PT-Pollination_Technician_88.package
Multi-PT-Pollination_Technician_59.package
Multi-PT-Pollination_Technician_35.package
Multi-PT-Pollination_Technician_14.package
MQ_Work_Bring_Friend_Dialog.package
MQ_Bookcase_Global.package
ME_MultiPainting-1.package
LizzLoves_Gender_Preference_Kite_01.package
liugno2happy2.package
liugno2decay2.package
InTeenimater_F.package
InTeenimater_E.package
InTeenimater_D.package
InTeenimater_C.package
InTeenimater_B.package
InTeenimater_A.package
InSIMenator (UV) v2.2 SIM Edition.package
ijWetBedSasverLITE.package
ijWetBedMemorySasver.package
HygienicSwimming.package
homeworksometimesfasterfun_v2.package
flamingo-of-contentment.package
Christianlov_EasyComputer_Expensive.package
censor.package
CBOY_nudist_Social.package
CBOY_nudist_naked_emitter.package
CBOY_Nudist_meditate.package
CBOY_cock_user_textures.package
CBOY_cock_controller.package
CBOY_cock.package

Miao.
Test Subject
#30 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 3:28 PM
Ok the students in private school all have the memory of getting in private school.

(2.) The student I am trying to legacy enroll has a B+ and no memory of getting into high school or private school (she recently became a child so I'm guessing she wouldn't have that memory no?)
(3.) ah I did have the jump bug in another family I was testing it on. They all had the private school memories and I had completed the headmaster thing but this was before the youngest on became a child so I was trying to do the legacy enroll thing on the youngest(the school plug-in menu didn't show up here either) and this 'jump' happened both to the mom who was playing the piano and the teenage daughter who was studying but the teenage son who was also studying was unaffected he kept right on studying.

Ah of course the 'steam' on the man was from the pool duh I forgot he had been swimming. Sorry

I have the latest version and I don't get 'Quit' option either. It's like it wasn't installed and it is in my downloads folder and I have enabled custom content.

I also tried the debug thing to bring up and error log but I didn't get one.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 7:40 PM Last edited by syberspunk : 29th Mar 2006 at 7:53 PM.
A-ha! I figured it out. I forgot to mention/update the main post regarding the time dependency for these options to be available. Stupid me. :Slap: meself.

That's totally my fault. I will update the first post and the Read Me file too.

To explain in depth, the Uni related bug was caused by how I was trying to set the available hours for when these options show up. Since I originally cloned the phone call options from the Quit Work option, it gets the hours of availability based on the JobData. It normally lets you call within a 3 hour window of when your job starts. The problem is, in Uni, there is a similar function which has different parameters. This caused the 'jump' bug error on Uni lots.

To remedy this, I hard coded the availbility hours, so now you have a 2 hour window before the school bus arrives and 3 hours after 2:00 PM.

So these options are only available between 6-8 AM and 2-4 PM. I thought this would be slightly more realistic. So that you can only change their school type when they are actually not at school. Since to me, it wouldn't make much sense for them to switch school types while they are at school, just from a role-playing persepctive.

:sorry: I should have mentioned this when I updated. Please try calling during these times and see if the options show up for you. I just tested on my test account, and the options are showing up for me (the Quit, Enroll Legacy, and Re-Enroll). I was using the Goth and Pleasant houses, so it should work fine for children and teens.

Ste
#32 Old 30th Mar 2006 at 6:33 AM
The options don't show up for me either. I have Uni, Nightlife, and Open for Business. I also use JMP's phone hack. Not sure why its not showing up. Sounds really cool though.
Test Subject
#33 Old 30th Mar 2006 at 6:11 PM
Ok so I tried it again between 6 and 8am and 2 and 4pm and well my sims can't even use the phone at those times to call anyone but they can use the phone after these times (not to enroll or quit private school this option doesn't show up) At 2:30pm sim time I clicked on the phone for my sim to call but all she did was jump up without the book she was studying from and just stood there. I tried between 6 and 8am but no go but I did do the error thing: And this is what I got I hope it makes sense because I have no clue what it means

Object id: 35
name: N001_User00249 - Grissom
Stack size: 9
Error: Undefined Transition.
Iterations: 3
Frame 8:
Stack Object id: 404
Stack Object name: Painting - Minimalist - Aqua
Node: 16
Tree: id 4112 name 'Is|Was Parent|Sibling a Student of Private School? (put in T0)' version -32760
from PhoneCall_PrivateSchool
Prim state: 0
Params: 539 539 3 0 Locals: 416 19473 -13169 0
Frame 7:
Stack Object id: 416
Stack Object name: N001_User00400 - Addison
Node: 15
Tree: id 4114 name 'Any Potential Legacy Students for Private School? (put in T0)' version -32760
Params: Locals: 416 -30539 -12185 0 0
Frame 6:
Stack Object id: 700
Stack Object name: Phone Private School - Enroll Legacy
Node: 1
Tree: id 4118 name 'Special - Private School Phone Call - Enroll Legacy - TEST' version -32760
Params: Locals:
Frame 5:
Node: 5
Tree: id 4107 name 'CT - Phone Call Available?' version -32748
Frame 4:
Node: 4
Tree: id 8231 name 'Call - Check Type Availablility' version -32758
from PhoneGlobals
Prim state: 1
Params: 41 0 1 Locals: 0
Frame 3:
Stack Object id: 0
Node: 2
Tree: id 8229 name 'Call - Build Menu' version -32740
from PhoneGlobals
Params: Locals: 0 0
Frame 2:
Node: 3
Tree: id 8200 name 'Interaction - Call - TEST' version -32744
from PhoneGlobals
Frame 1:
Node: 0
Tree: id -1 name 'No behavior' version 0
from
Prim state: 1
Frame 0:
Node: 0
Tree: id 4096 name 'Function - Main' version 2
from TemplatePerson
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 30th Mar 2006 at 6:23 PM Last edited by Thanhlienh : 30th Mar 2006 at 6:24 PM. Reason: saw above post
I'm sorry... I really don't know what's going on. I seem to be having the same problem as CSIgirl above. I went back into that same house and waited until morning and went to 'phone the private school at a bit past six, but there were no options available on the telephone-- greyed out cursor, 'no options available' box. At the same time as the kids changed clothes to get on the school bus at about 12 minutes past eight, the 'phone rang, and as soon as the sim finished talking, I tried the 'phone again. All of the standard options came up, but no option to 'phone the provate school (as I would expect, since it was outside the time window.

Hmm.

Miao.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 31st Mar 2006 at 8:19 PM
Whew, keep crackin that whip will ya? j/k :P

Ok, now I think I found the problem. But since it was working for me, I am not absolutely sure. So this definitely still needs testing!!!

I went back and looked at the code (thanks csigirl27 for the log, it was Really helpful! It was exactly what I needed! ) and I am pretty sure I know what the error is. The thing that confuses me is that, according to the log, and the code, it theoretically should NOT have worked for me. :screwy: This would probably cause similar problems in other peoples games. So how it managed to work in mine is somewhat of a mystery.

An in depth explanation, for those who care:

I had a line setting the Stack Object to Param 0. I was then trying to Verify ID (neighbor in Stack Object). This throws an error because, according to the log provided, the NID that was passed is actually the Object ID of some other object in that lot. I guess in my game, I must have gotten lucky, and the NID getting passed did not match anything else on the lot? :confused:

Anyways... this is hard for me to test in my game, since it has always been working for me. I made the changes to what I think is causing the problem in everyone else's game. What I need now is for those of you who have it, to test the new version and let me know if you are still having problems.

Again, play with debug mode turned on, and if you have an error log, please post it again.

@Thanhlienh: I have most, if not all of your hacks. So I do not believe it is any kind of hack conflict. I do not have the InTeen (I have OFB anyways), but it should not conflict anyways because this is essentially a self-contained hack that does not change any existing code. Rather, it just adds more options.

So, having said that, any errors that you get are most likely all my fault. :sorry:

Hopefully this fixes it for sure (3rd times the charm, right?)

Please download the new version, test in debug mode, and report back whether it works or you still have problems (and if so, please try and include an error log). Also... if you see someone else has posted an error log, I don't mind if you post another one. The more info I get, the more likely I will be able to track down the problem or problems as there might be more than one that are unrelated. Hopefully there are none... any more. :P

Ste
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 1st Apr 2006 at 12:00 PM
Still no options available, I'm afraid.

How does one obtain an error log? I confess I've no idea how to do it.

Miao.
Test Subject
#37 Old 1st Apr 2006 at 2:22 PM
I tried it out in a house I was playing that had children already in private school and the option for Quit private school did show up so I believe it is working for me Thank you
Field Researcher
#38 Old 1st Apr 2006 at 3:20 PM
i`m about to test it now!
good idea!!

It takes more time to TyPe LyK dIs than it does to type like this.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#39 Old 1st Apr 2006 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Thanhlienh
Still no options available, I'm afraid.

How does one obtain an error log? I confess I've no idea how to do it.

What you can do is turn on debug mode. Before you enter a lot, open the cheat box. I believe it is Ctrl + Shift + C.

This should open up a prompt at the top of the screen. In this box, type:

boolprop testingcheatsenabled true

You must include the spaces between each word. Hit enter.

Then, go to the lot where you are having trouble (where the options are not showing up). Then, play as normal. IF an error happens, then you will get a dialog box, saying that some error occurred. It will give you three choices:
Reset, Delete, or Cancel. It will also give you the Path to the location of the log file. This is typically stored in your Logs folder under:

C:/Documents and Settings/User Account/EA Games/The Sims 2/Logs

Where 'User Account' is whatever the name of the account you are currently logged in as. This is assuming you are using WindowsXP. If you have some different OS, the directory path will vary.

Go to this directory, and find the log file. It will typically be named ObjectError_N###_t#####. Where the N### is the id for the neighborhood you are playiing and the t##### is just a random set of numbers (probably based on the system time).

Once you find this log. Open it up in Word or Wordpad. You can copy and past the first page and post it here. Or you can email me at my yahoo account. The same username: syberspunk. The rest of it is @yahoo.com

PM if you have problems emailing me.

I tried it out in a house I was playing that had children already in private school and the option for Quit private school did show up so I believe it is working for me Thank you

Well... it's good that the Quit option shows up. But does the Enroll Legacy option show up for you at all? It should, if you have any other kids that have not yet been enrolled in private school. Please check to make sure all the options are showing up:

1) Quit - for students already in private school. It sets them back to public school.

2) Re-Enroll - for students who have quit private school. So, if you change your mind, you can re-enroll them without doing the Headmaster scenario again.

3) Enroll Legacy - for students who meet the following requirements:

a) they DO NOT have a memory of being accepted into private school
b) they MUST have at LEAST a C or better
c) they MUST have at a Sibling, Parent, or close relative (Uncle, Aunt, or GrandParent) who has a memory of being accepted into private school.

Also... all of these options will only show up during the times I mentioned: 6-8 AM and 2-5PM

And the error log you sent me was exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot for that. If you get any more error logs, just email me directly.

I hope that it works for sure this time. I don't have time to do tests this weekend. But unfortunately all my testing so far has shown that it works for me at least. That doesn't mean there aren't problems I didn't catch. I currently just do not have a set up to test longterm effects for neighborhoods that have been played for a long while. I only have a fresh/clean install of default Maxis 'hoods at the moment.

Ste
Test Subject
#40 Old 2nd Apr 2006 at 3:40 PM
hmm only the quit option came up but I'm guessing it is because all of the students in that house are already in private school and I didn't have them quit. hmm I will test this again

Welcome
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by syberspunk
*snip* very clear instructions /*snip*

Thank you, syberspunk. I've e-mailed you my error log, or what I hope is my error log. If you don't get it reasonably soon, please post here or PM me. Thanks for all your work on this... I'd really love to have it working!

Miao.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#42 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 7:17 AM
Thank you, syberspunk. I've e-mailed you my error log, or what I hope is my error log. If you don't get it reasonably soon, please post here or PM me. Thanks for all your work on this... I'd really love to have it working!

Thanks for the error log. This one is a separate but similar error to the one csigirl27 sent me. It has to do with the game confusing Object IDs with Neighbor IDs. I guess... in some cases, I just happened to be lucky and not get these problems. That's why it wasn't an issue in my game.

Anyways... I have updated once again. However, I am considering this version a tentative fix until I get reports back that it definitely works for other people. Since, apparently testing in my own 'hood right now won't help, since I don't get the problems in the first place and I cannot yet duplicate these errors.

So, for those of you who have been having problems, please download the new version and check it once again in your game, making sure your household meets the aforementioned criteria.

I'm hoping I got stomped all the bugs out, but you never know. *crosses fingers and toes and elbows*

Also, it would help to play in debug mode, just to see if any error log pops up. If not, and the options are available to you when they are supposed to be, then you're good to go, and you can turn the cheat off. Just enter the cheat again, but type false instead of true. Anyways, please report back, one way or the other.

:sorry: for all the constant updating. But see it's quite hard to debug/test something that doesn't fail for yourself, and only fails for other people. That's why error logs are extremely helpful, and I appreciate everyone who has been patient and helpful in supplying them.

Ok... so get testin' and let me know if you are still having problems. :grouphug:

Ste
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 3:26 PM
That's done it, Syberspunk! It works! Glee!

I haven't tested it on a Uni lot yet, but unless you did something to affect what you did when you fixed that, I expect they'll be working fine too. If I see anything weird, I will let you know. Thank you very much for persevering on this.

If I could ask a completely unrelated question, since I've never used the testingcheatsenabled thing before this-- I was there on the lot with it set to true, and I clicked on the 'phone to generate an error log. The dialog came up and I hit 'cancel', but then the dialog kept coming up over and over again. After about the seventeenth cancel I got a bit annoyed at it and hit 'delete', thinking it meant the log and I could just try again... but it deleted the sim who I was controlling to click the 'phone. Then the dialogs stopped popping up. I exited without saving and the sim is fine, but do you know what would have happened had I not done that? Would he have appeared by the mailbox the next time I loaded that house, or would he have been quite gone? Just curious!

Miao.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#44 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 6:53 PM
That's done it, Syberspunk! It works! Glee!

I haven't tested it on a Uni lot yet, but unless you did something to affect what you did when you fixed that, I expect they'll be working fine too. If I see anything weird, I will let you know. Thank you very much for persevering on this.

Whew! Yay, finally! Ok... give it a test on Uni when you get a chance. No hurry. But that should still be fixed. It was a separate issue. Whenever I fix something, I typically don't do it from scratch. Hehe. So yeah, all the fixes should be included in the latest available version.

If I could ask a completely unrelated question, since I've never used the testingcheatsenabled thing before this-- I was there on the lot with it set to true, and I clicked on the 'phone to generate an error log. The dialog came up and I hit 'cancel', but then the dialog kept coming up over and over again. After about the seventeenth cancel I got a bit annoyed at it and hit 'delete', thinking it meant the log and I could just try again... but it deleted the sim who I was controlling to click the 'phone. Then the dialogs stopped popping up.

Hrm... well, choosing to generate the log itself probably does something. There are certain break points in Maxian code that causes them to Always break. This might be what happens when you force an error. Perhaps it sets some bit that causes code to hit break points in order to generate error logs. This may be done purposefully so that Maxian coders can debug objects they are working on.

The reason why a bug or error log might pop up several times in a row is:

1) the bug is an essential part of the code in a BHAV that gets run often/all the time. So... whenever you reach that line in the code, it will Always pop up an error

2) in debug mode, if perhaps for certain BHAVs, forcing an error causes it to always generate an error log (as I described above). I don't know this for sure, this is just my speculation

I exited without saving and the sim is fine, but do you know what would have happened had I not done that? Would he have appeared by the mailbox the next time I loaded that house, or would he have been quite gone? Just curious!

Well... as I understand it, the choices typically refer to the Stack Object, which is the object that is currently running the code that is giving you errors. All items in the game are considered objects, even sims. Since your selected sim was running the bit of code when you clicked on the 'Force Error' option, when choosing delete, that sim is the object that gets deleted.

In other cases, if an actual object is causing the problem, if you choose delete, that object gets deleted from the lot. If I recall correctly, all non-sim objects are most likely permanently deleted. If it is furniture or purchasable objects, those get deleted/removed from the lot. You can just buy them back.

Sims are a special case, and those living on the lot should always reappear later. If you continued playing, that sim should eventually automagically regenerate, either at the mailbox, or 'off-world' and then wander onto the lot as if they were walking by. They typically route to the mailbox or front door.

So... it theoretically should be harmless to delete sims. In rare cases, have I ever seen sims never reappear. Something might get 'stuck' and you may have to use a hack to either teleport that sim back or restore the family, or you may have to move the family out of the house and back into the lot, or move them to a new lot altogether, in order to properly reset them.

Having said that, there is a caveat with non-sim objects. Many bugs actually pop up from controller type objects, which are typiclly invisible or 'off-world' objects, that control socials, events (such as dating or pregnancy), and everyday processing of general/normal stuff on lots. Many of these controllers should get initiated, and depending on whether they are valid on the lot, they either die (delete themselves), idle (go to sleep until needed), or run in a loop to process whatever it controls as normal. On occassion, something 'bad' might happen, that causes the controller to 'break' and pop up an error. Reset is typically the best choice. This should 'reset' the object hopefully back to normal. However... in certain cases, if the controller is interacting with some object (sim or non-sim) and keeps throwing up errors, then you have a bigger problem. This might mean you have some hack problem/conflict, or it might be an actual Maxian bug.

Choosing delete in this case should also be 'safe' most of the time. However, in certain cases, some objects don't regenerate themselves. This is a critical error. As was the case with portals (car and/or pedestrian). This is most likely the cause of vehicles or sims, NPC or otherwise, getting stuck on lots. That's why people sometimes have problems where the Maid or Nanny doesn't go home. They can't. The portal has been deleted, and it isn't properly regenerating. And it's not like something you can click on to force a reset or regenerate yourself, because these are invisible or 'off-world' objects. The only way to fix these problems is usually to move the family off the lot and back in. If the problem still persists, then you can try moving the family to a new lot. You may have to bulldoze the old, broken lot. :P

Anyways, in your specific case, it would most likely have been fine. The sim would probably show up at the mailbox when you re-entered. Or if you kept playing, the sim probably would have shown up of his own accord.

I don't remember exactly, but the dialog box might tell you what object was causing the error to pop up. Alternatively, you can check the log first and see what the object is. At the very top:

Quote:
Object id: 160
name: N002_User00058 - Pollination Tech#9
Stack size: 24
Error: Undefined Transition.

here it shows the offending object is a sim, namely Polli Tech #9. The type of error is shown as well. This type is mostly harmless. It typically means that a certain line of code just died because it received bad data. It should be safe to delete in most cases. Reseting is preferred, but if the problem repeats, then you probably have to delete.

Just be careful if the name of the object happens to be something like 'Pregnancy Controller' or even worse 'Car Portal' or any type of portal. In these cases, you may have to choose delete, but then I suggest existing WITHOUT saving. Hopefully you save your progress every now and then before a major error occurs. :P

Anyways, in the long run, it is fairly harmless to run/play with debug mode on. Most people are afraid to play with it because, if you're not sure what you're doing, you could really majorly bork your game There are objects that you can spawn which allow you to alter your sims in many ways. These are testing or debugging objects that Maxis most likely uses to debug the game. A lot of people use them for cheaty purposes, such as adding skills or instantly making friends or lovers or what have you. These are all pretty harmless too. But the more advanced objects can potentially screw things up. Even I don't use things that I'm not sure what they do, unless I'm just purposefully screwing around on a test lot.

Additionally, because some Maxis code purposefully has break points, these tend to pop up when debug mode is on. That's probably why people say you shouldn't play with debug mode on too much. On the other hand, I've known people who play with it on all the time and they don't have problems. :shrug:

I personally only use it if I'm debugging or testing something. I rarely do anything to cheat. Most of my hacks (that I've made or use) are non-cheaty anyways, but that's just my preference of play style.

Well. I hope this has helped you (and others bothering to read this random, wandering babble :P). I thought it best to explain as thoroughly as possible and leave it up to you to decide how you play. But I figure it's always best to be as informed as possible. Hopefully I didn't mix anything up or pass along any false information myself. That's one of my pet peeves. I think everyone deserves to be properly and well-informed.

Anyways... if this seems to work for everyone now... I will upgrade the status from pending to a proper, 'officially' released fix. Thanks again for the log! :D

Ste
Test Subject
#45 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 8:24 PM
uh oh .... I lied ....it isn't working . I thought it was but it isn't (this is from the version I dl on 03/30. But I just dl the one for today and I will try it again
Test Subject
#46 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 8:43 PM
Ok so I just tested this new version and it does indeed work. I managed to enroll a legacy student
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 3rd Apr 2006 at 10:45 PM
Wow. That was a very detailed answer-- thank you. Not knowing thing one about programming, I don't understand all of it but I think I'll be a bit happier with debug mode having read that. I do save ridiculously often, and I do keep *reasonably* up to date backups in case the whole neighbourhood gets bollucksed, so I'm generally pretty happy to exit without saving. I remember portal woes from Sims 1 and I'd not touch a portal with a virtual ten foot pole unless I absolutely had to.

I'll test on a Uni lot soon!

Miao.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 4th Apr 2006 at 10:14 AM
'Phones are working in residential and dorm lots in Uni!

Miao.
Test Subject
#49 Old 7th Apr 2006 at 7:27 PM
hmm I think mine quit working again
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#50 Old 8th Apr 2006 at 12:56 AM
hmm I think mine quit working again

Now you tell me... after I've edited my post. Do you get an error log at all? Email me or post if you do. I still don't get any errors in my own testing. So all I can do is rely on error logs from other people.

:sorry: The seems to be so troubling for other people. But I really have no other way to troubleshoot this without an error log, since it appears to work for me.

Ste
Page 2 of 4