Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#1851 Old 12th May 2008 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
EA obviously doesn't think that much about optimizations.

maybe, they didn't have the time to be sure what to put into the game including the lots.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#1852 Old 15th May 2008 at 12:40 AM
The 1.0.0.13 test lot is ready for public consumption: Backdoor Lane 46

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Alchemist
#1853 Old 15th May 2008 at 4:27 AM
Mootilda, sorry to hear you are unwell. Get better soon!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#1854 Old 15th May 2008 at 5:52 AM
Oh, didn't notice that until just now -- yes, best wishes from me as well =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#1855 Old 18th May 2008 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
The 1.0.0.13 test lot is ready for public consumption: Backdoor Lane 46
Looks like the test is going well so far. Have all of your regular testers downloaded yet?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#1856 Old 18th May 2008 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Have all of your regular testers downloaded yet?

I can't see who exactly has downloaded it, unfortunately (or at least I'm not aware how). I still have to PM a few people though ..

Site Helper
Original Poster
#1857 Old 18th May 2008 at 7:14 PM
Does anyone else have a "perpendicular wall" psuedo-rowhouse that they'd like to upload for testing?
Alchemist
#1858 Old 19th May 2008 at 1:19 AM
I expect I can find one if you like. Still having trouble with that other submission though, and feeling a bit over it in general.

Plasticbox's house seems to be doing very well indeed.

Glad to see you must be feeling better!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#1859 Old 19th May 2008 at 1:33 AM
Yes, I am feeling better. Nothing serious, just a bad chest cold going around here that really knocks people out for the better part of a week.

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes.
Alchemist
#1860 Old 19th May 2008 at 4:58 AM
Default movie glitch with perpendicular walls
I have a house I can submit.

In testing it, though, I discovered another interesting glitch - not directly the LA, I think, but possibly a combination of the game workings and a small shrunk lot. The house has perpendicular walls on the ground floor. I placed the mailbox next to the front door - two tiles further in than standard. When I moved my sim in to test, she somehow got out of the taxi and ended up in the alley between the house and the edge of the lot. Stuck, because of the perpendicular walls. Pic attached.

I moved the mailbox back to the edge of the road and tried again - no problem this time.

Didn't notice this happening in any other houses, but this one is edge-to-edge, close to the street. Other lots have generally had an opening on one side, a foundation, or are further from the mailbox position. So, either it wouldn't occur, or the sim could walk out of the area. I also tend to move the mailbox sideways rather than further into the lot.

I've got the mailbox in a normal position now so it won't happen. Shall I submit the house?
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#1861 Old 19th May 2008 at 7:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
Pic attached.

ROFL.

I just had this happen on a perfectly normal lot on the weekend (well, normal except that the mailbox was moved -- was one of my own lots) -- two kids were stuck inside the foundation. Poor boys.

Alchemist
#1862 Old 19th May 2008 at 10:15 AM
I just had this happen on a perfectly normal lot
So, definitely not the LA then! I wondered why it had never happened to you, since you often have the mailboxes in funny places.
Mad Poster
#1863 Old 20th May 2008 at 5:45 AM
Alchemist
#1864 Old 21st May 2008 at 1:04 AM
Yes. I was wondering if the tiny lot sizes are more prone to it, just because there's less room to move. Anyway, if it's nothing to do with shrinking, I guess it doesn't matter, except as another warning to Test Your Lots Before Sharing!
Mad Poster
#1865 Old 21st May 2008 at 9:01 AM
An interesting "problem"

Quote: Originally posted by Winterhart
need dirt roads and paved roads
The paved roads with the trees in the middle of them are dirt in lot view and I want them dirt in neighborhood view too...

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=286308
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#1866 Old 22nd May 2008 at 9:35 PM
aelflaed, how is your test house? Just wondering since I haven't seen anything from you in the queue ..

The Backdoor Lane one has 800 downloads soon (I think that was what the first one had when I took it down), been up for almost a week, no issues so far except a graphical glitch with snow that may or may not be exclusive to *small* lots (it's definitely not exclusive to shrunk lots though). Of the "regular" testers, Rascal, CatOfEvilGenius, KariMinger (=Zazazu) and maxon have posted feedback so far.

Alchemist
#1867 Old 23rd May 2008 at 10:07 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 23rd May 2008 at 12:19 PM.
Sorry, haven't submitted it. Will do that tonight I guess.

Edit - I've done it now. Back to my other concerns...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#1868 Old 23rd May 2008 at 6:40 PM
Mootilda,

if it turns out that the perpendicular walls technique works well for row houses, I think it would make sense to rewrite/replace the current rowhouse tutorial or write a separate new one .. what do you think? Do you already know when you'd release the perpendicular walls version of the LA (provided that no problems surface, of course)? There would be not much of a point in putting up a tutorial before the prependicular shrinking feature isn't public, but I could put it together in advance, post it in the private forum, and then just move it somewhere public when the time has come. Is that a good plan? (I'd like to do it this weekend, because I'll have time for that .. in the two or three weeks after that, not so much)

In my opinion, we probably wouldn't need the old tutorial anymore then .. I think people who still have the old LE test version will have figured it out already, and if you release a LotCorrupter I guess the user base of that won't need a tutorial either. Or do you see a reason to leave it up?

Also, regarding the problem of tutorials being only editable by a single user (you remember? There were a few changes in the old tute that ideally you could have made yourself, if you'd have been able to edit it): one way to get around this would be to post the tutorial on the Sims2Wiki instead of the forums, then everyone can edit it (but I'm not sure myself if that would be a god thing? Also because wiki posts don't have feedback threads).

Or I can ask for moderator rights in the Build mode forum and the LE/LA private forum (at least in Build Mode I might need them anyway), then I'd be able to edit all posts there -- you could make an empty new post and I put in the tutorial; at least both you and me could always edit it then (since you'd be the owner).

Perhaps this won't be so much of a concern anymore if there aren't any more problems -- but it could still be useful if you release important new features or something.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#1869 Old 24th May 2008 at 7:49 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 25th May 2008 at 5:22 AM.
if it turns out that the perpendicular walls technique works well for row houses, I think it would make sense to rewrite/replace the current rowhouse tutorial or write a separate new one .. what do you think? There would be not much of a point in putting up a tutorial before the prependicular shrinking feature isn't public, but I could put it together in advance, post it in the private forum, and then just move it somewhere public when the time has come. Is that a good plan? (I'd like to do it this weekend, because I'll have time for that .. in the two or three weeks after that, not so much)
I agree that it would be really nice to have a new up-to-date tutorial for rowhouses. At the least, we need to mention how to create perpendicular foundation walls and gabled roofs with overhangs which touch the lot edge. Putting it in the private forum seems like a reasonable plan for now. We should mention that it is now considered to be "safe", but requires LotAdjuster version 1.1 or later.

Do you already know when you'd release the perpendicular walls version of the LA (provided that no problems surface, of course)?
I'm sorry that I haven't been logged on very much... As soon as I'm back to health, I'll release the new version (unless aelflaed's upload shows some new unexpected problems).

In my opinion, we probably wouldn't need the old tutorial anymore then .. I think people who still have the old LE test version will have figured it out already, and if you release a LotCorrupter I guess the user base of that won't need a tutorial either. Or do you see a reason to leave it up?
I would like to keep the old tutorial available, and cross-link with the LotCorrupter when it's released (sometime after LA 1.1). I think that it's a really good idea to show all of the problems that people were having, to discourage people from using this without understanding the risks. Probably at the very top of the old tutorial, we should say something like: "if you want a safe, shareable version of rowhouses, see LA 1.1 and the new tutorial".

Also, regarding the problem of tutorials being only editable by a single user: one way to get around this would be to post the tutorial on the Sims2Wiki instead of the forums, then everyone can edit it.
I guess that I'll have to think about this one. Once the LotCorrupter is released, there isn't much need for the private forum any more. I agree that the lack of feedback posts on the wiki could be a problem.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#1870 Old 24th May 2008 at 9:10 PM
OK, I'll keep the old tutorial and just unstick it then (once I can). I'll try to get the new one done asap, and park it in the private forum for now .. I meanwhile decided I'd like to put it on the forums in any case, so that 1. we can have feedback and 2. it can be stickied in place of the old one (so that people who look for the old one will see the new one instead).

Get well soon!

Site Helper
Original Poster
#1871 Old 24th May 2008 at 10:25 PM
OK, I'll keep the old tutorial and just unstick it then (once I can). I'll try to get the new one done asap, and park it in the private forum for now .. I meanwhile decided I'd like to put it on the forums in any case, so that 1. we can have feedback and 2. it can be stickied in place of the old one (so that people who look for the old one will see the new one instead).
Sure. You can mention the (as yet unreleased) version 1.1 of the LotAdjuster, if you'd like. I honestly hope to have it available soon.
Alchemist
#1872 Old 25th May 2008 at 8:28 AM
My upload hasn't gone through yet, so no idea if it will show up any unexpected problems.

Don't we still need the private forum for future test releases? Or are you not expecting to have any more 'dodgy' versions after 1.1 is finalised?

Hope you are looking after yourself properly, Mootilda. We've got a sore-throat bug going around here - half my family has had it so far. All the best!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#1873 Old 25th May 2008 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
Don't we still need the private forum for future test releases? Or are you not expecting to have any more 'dodgy' versions after 1.1 is finalised?
No, I don't really expect to have any more "dodgy" versions, unless I decide to do some additional work in trying to mark lots created with the LotCorrupter. Most of the things that I've done with the LA seem reasonably safe... it was only the shrinking code that I was really worried about; especially after signs of corruption showed up in the public tests.

At this time, I can't think of anything else that we can do to lift restrictions on shrinking. I've seen signs of corruption on my machine when using every type of diagonal walls; we've also seen signs of corruption with objects on the last tile. Unless we come up with a new idea, I think that 1.1 will be the best we can do.

I suppose that there's no harm in keeping the private forum for a while, especially until I get the LotCorrupter out.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#1874 Old 26th May 2008 at 12:57 AM
Default LA 1.1 now available
I've uploaded LA 1.1, so I'm sure that people will appreciate any help in the LA thread for making pseudo rowhouses.
Alchemist
#1875 Old 26th May 2008 at 2:54 AM
Yay! I'm sure people will appreciate the fixes and shrinking improvements.

My test lot still hasn't gone through (unusually, mods must be busy!), and I suppose it's moot now that Mootilda has released the 1.1. Oh well.
Page 75 of 97