Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 12:39 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife
Default Expansion Pack Data required - but I have the packs!
Tonight, I found that I could no longer install any packaged lot containing custom content (they're all my lots with my creations). The message is "Expansion Pack Data is required to install this content.". But I have both packs installed and working fine - and I've always been able to install my own lots (for testing) - until tonight.

I have the very marvellous Sims 2 Clean Pack Installer - and that of course works. But because I build lots (and content for lots) that will be uploaded, I NEED to test with the Maxis installer because many downloaders still use it (and it's the Maxis installer that can cause problems with some custom content). If everyone downloaded and installed with S2CPI, the Sims world would be a happier place.

Can anyone advise of a fix for this bug that doesn't entail reinstalling the entire dang game? You see: I only have my Nightlife CD to hand (I'm moving house in the next couple of weeks and all the original Sims discs and University are packed very far away).

BW
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 1:30 AM
Many people have this same problem, and I have yet to find anywhere, that anyone knows what causes it, and believe me, I have looked. Sorry not to be able to help you.

Teresa
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by teresa7159
Many people have this same problem, and I have yet to find anywhere, that anyone knows what causes it, and believe me, I have looked. Sorry not to be able to help you.

Teresa

Thanks Teresa

I know, I've searched high and low too, and whenever this has come up, the advice has been 'get Sims 2 Clean Pack Installer instead'. A good answer for anyone who simply wants to install content (and it's miles better than the Maxis installer), but I have the misfortune of NEEDING to test work with the Maxis installer (because the Maxis installer is the one that sometimes fails a lot with custom content in it).

I'll keep hoping, but I may have to wait 3-4 weeks until I can unbury my original game CDs - bah!

BW
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 5:16 PM
I have the same problem, but I find that it's not only lots that have custom content. In my game it is any lots I download. I downloaded a challenge lot which I know has no custom content in it at all and I get the same message. I did manage however to download a lot that had been created in Uni and it was OK. So it's looking to me like it's only lots created in NL. I might add that I uninstalled everythin and reinstalled and tried when my game was new and still got the same message.
Instructor
#5 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 8:27 PM
Expansion Data Error message and how to fix it
remember not everythings perfect, especially things related to maxis lol

WickedNoukFamily -- free sims2 sites with hundreds of creations for you to fill your downloads folder with! Some sites offer sims3 content too! :D

Pay Stuff for Free -- Visit Me at My Website: Wicked Sims (sims2 & sims3)
Test Subject
#6 Old 3rd Nov 2005 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by anonymous
Expansion Data Error message and how to fix it
remember not everythings perfect, especially things related to maxis lol

Thank you anonymous. I do have clean installer, but I only use it to see if I have any hacks or duplicate files within my game. I have heard people actually install with it but I don't know how to do that. I've always just installed the sims package files by double clicking on the icon and it normally installs itself. Can you or anyone point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.
Test Subject
#7 Old 4th Nov 2005 at 4:55 PM
I right clicked the lot to be installed and opened it with clean installer,
I to have the same problem and tried to install with clean installer, told me it had installed (to the teleport folder) and still the lot does not show up in the game, the objects do.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Nov 2005 at 5:09 PM
thistle8, try it again, with just the lot selected for instalation.
Instructor
#9 Old 4th Nov 2005 at 5:30 PM
whenever you want to install something with clean installer, just right click on the sims2pack and choose "open with..." then choose Clean Installer from the list. this will bring up the Clean Installer window and show you what is in the sims2pack, from there you just click "install" and it should install it to the default folder...

WickedNoukFamily -- free sims2 sites with hundreds of creations for you to fill your downloads folder with! Some sites offer sims3 content too! :D

Pay Stuff for Free -- Visit Me at My Website: Wicked Sims (sims2 & sims3)
Test Subject
#10 Old 4th Nov 2005 at 9:37 PM
SWEET, Thanks for that jaxad0127, it worked!