Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Edible St. Nick Candy

by Lethe_s Posted 6th Nov 2005 at 1:47 PM - Updated 23rd May 2006 at 4:30 PM by Lethe_s

53 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 50 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 1:53 PM
Theorist
#3 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 2:05 PM
It's always fun to know other peoples' holiday traditions! Thanks!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Forum Resident
#4 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 6:19 PM
Nifty!
I wonder if 'speculaas' is kind of like Gingerbread or gingersnaps.
I love making fancy gingerbread houses at christmas time.
It sound yummy!

Visit my web site:Fanciful Sims
Royal Kingdom Challenge:
http://tinyurl.com/b4ajz
Live your medieval dream
Field Researcher
#5 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 7:05 PM
Wow this looks yummy!
MY sims will love to eat this tasty treat.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 7:14 PM Last edited by Kagenuma : 6th Nov 2005 at 7:45 PM.
Hey look great.

YuYuHakusho,Naruto,Dante,Kaikan phrase,my sims....wait for Miyavi and Bleach.(and please if you like my work than click on thanks button.)
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 7:16 PM
In my family, german heritage, St. Nicholas would come on Dec 5 (I think that's the night before his bday?) He'd leave us stockings and a small gift.
It appears (google is a wonderful thing) that speculaas is similar but a bit different from gingerbread:
http://users.hubwest.com/hubert/speculaas.html
both have cinnamon, but instead of ginger there's nutmeg, cloves and mace

There are other recipes, but I'm gonna have to give this a try
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 8:30 AM
tig,
yep, he comes in the night of December 5th, through the chimney no less
as to speculaas, I had to ask my dad what's in it
my parents own a bakery, so round this time of year the whole house smells heavily of chocolate and cinnamon
and he uses pretty much the same recipe (only more of everything)
the herbs are supposedly ginger, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, nutmeg and cardamon
but belgians tend to leave out the pepper and cardamon
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 9:51 AM
Thanks for this! Although I live in Australia my family is dutch and so we have Speculaas whenever we can!

"Those who mind don't matter; and those that matter don't mind" - Dr Suess
Field Researcher
#10 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 6:00 PM
Very nice work Lethe_s very much appreciated, Thank You :moose:

I will defanitly have to take a look into the file (Tinker with it) to see what and how you have done this? never know i might learn something
Test Subject
#11 Old 7th Nov 2005 at 8:37 PM
jeej, sinterklaas is leip :D
I can't wait till 5 december :P

Hi :)
Test Subject
#12 Old 8th Nov 2005 at 10:54 AM
Thanks, this is great.
En lekker natuurlijk, speculaas is ook zaaaaaaaaaaaaaalig :agree:

Elly
Test Subject
#13 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 11:10 AM
hello !

frenchy here :vikingb:

we also have Saint Nicolas here, because i'm in the east of France... Lorraine and Alsace regions also have this tradition
IN ADDITION of father chrismas ! :thumb:

here there is Saint Nicolas shaped chocolats and "pain d'epices" (gingerbread ?)
and there is many parades in towns, especially for children

NB : i know "speculos" are from Belgium... and i was in USA 2 months ago and they well know it !!! :coffee:

have a nice holiday
Thierry (from Strasbourg FR)
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 2:06 PM
wow, Saint Nicholas AND father christmas?
you lucky bastards
Scholar
#15 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 8:38 PM Last edited by anelca : 9th Nov 2005 at 8:46 PM.
my mums german and buys speculata, and lebkuchen. both can be found in aldi, lidl and so forth from round about now till christmas. yummy

we used to put our shoes outside the bedroom door on dec 5th and during the night st nikolas would fill them with goodies
if you had been naughty throughout the year his sidekick Black Peter would leave a lump of coal instead
father christmas would come to our house on christmas eve, not christmas day, too
Field Researcher
#16 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 11:36 AM
Mmm.. speculaas met roomboter erop is nog lekkerder! xx Anne
Field Researcher
#17 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 9:52 PM Last edited by fireflies : 17th Nov 2005 at 11:05 PM. Reason: removed file made correction and now working
Lethe_s i read your pm but i am still a bit lost and cannot seem to get the package to work as instructed

So i uploaded it here and decided you might know what exactly i should do to correct it
or i can reference your correction should you upload a new sinterklaas package?

either way i love this creation i do have a few others i have done
Test Subject
#18 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 11:52 PM Last edited by Zandi : 18th Nov 2005 at 12:07 AM.
The closest thing they have to speculaas in Amerika is something called ginger bread. It's speculaas mit gember go figure.

The only way to explain to non Dutchies what specluaas is would be to call it a sort of cinnamon butter cookie.
Basic specuaas is just flour,butter, cinnamon and brownsugar.
But speculaaskruiden ( speclaas seasioning) is generally
30 gram kaneelpoeder ( cinnamon powder )
10 gram kruidnagelpoeder ( clove powder)
10 gram nootmuskaat (nut meg )
5 gram witte peper ( whitepaepr )
5 gram anijszaad (oops I forgot the translation for this one )
5 gram korianderzaad ( coriander )

Ground together to a super fine powder.

Now question is will you Please make us some Oli ballen?
you know we can't have a proper " new years eve" with out them.
Please
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 7:51 AM
errrr, what's oli ballen?

boy, this is turning into a cultural culinary thread, isn't it
you mean the bag of fried dough stuff? like beignets, but without filling?
note that I'm belgian, not dutch, we just have champagne on new year's eve
Test Subject
#20 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 3:31 PM Last edited by Zandi : 18th Nov 2005 at 3:41 PM.
It's a verry Dutch thing but I've seen them in Antwerpen a few times as well.
Basicly they're just big deep fried balls of dough with cinnamon, lots of sugar, raisins and such. covered in powdered sugar.
They're the traditional Old years thing to nibble on.
Hang on let me see if I can find a page.

[AHhh my spelling went sides. forgot an e turned an o in to and a and what more?
Gee dyslesia is fun when thinking in several languages.]

Here it is in english just incase other people get curious.
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipe.../oliebolen.html

You're missing out on some yummy stuff down there...
But then again you guys have the super freit and Gadiva Chocolate and the waffles so I won't feel too bad for you.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 4:03 PM
Thank the god of your choice for cultural diversity

Facts are meaningless they can be used to prove anything
Inventor
#22 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 6:34 PM
My family used to do St Nicholas day, but then, we spent a few years in Germany, and my dad's ancesters were germans from Metz (now France) and around Cologne and such. And my mother's father was second generation German, and my mother's mother was half Czech and half Yugoslav....

And I do wish that the holiday pack had more seasonal stuff from around the world, and of other religions too. I'm pagan, even if I was raised catholic, and I adore learning about other cultures and such.

And I'm going to have to see about making this stuff, it sounds wonderful! ^_^

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Test Subject
#23 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 2:30 PM Last edited by Maksie99 : 20th Jan 2012 at 4:26 AM.
Lol this is great! Now only if we had some pepernoten... Good job on this! OoOoo

квартиры посуточно Тюмень
квартиры посуточно Тюмень
Scholar
#24 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Reyn
My family used to do St Nicholas day, but then, we spent a few years in Germany, and my dad's ancesters were germans from Metz (now France) and around Cologne and such. And my mother's father was second generation German, and my mother's mother was half Czech and half Yugoslav....

And I do wish that the holiday pack had more seasonal stuff from around the world, and of other religions too. I'm pagan, even if I was raised catholic, and I adore learning about other cultures and such.

And I'm going to have to see about making this stuff, it sounds wonderful! ^_^

reyn....if you could make some stuff that would be really cool. i have only just had a go at recolouring bed linen and so am miles away from creating stuff myself
as a pagan too, i would love to see some stuff for solstice. the Holiday pack really holds nothing i would use.
Fluffy
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 8:37 AM
anelca,
what's traditional for solstice?
cause I wholeheartedly agree on the cookies-and-santa stuff that maxis made
it's just not me
I was thinking of making a yule-log, that's what we have on Christmas (it's cake)
but if you have any good ideas (that are hopefully do-able), feel free to tell me
Page 1 of 3