Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

New Modern Desk Style

by Sandollar Posted 10th Nov 2005 at 2:13 PM - Updated 16th Oct 2008 at 5:18 PM by -Maylin-

32 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 30 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
#2 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 2:35 PM
I couldnt see the screenshots but comming from you i know it has to be great. Thanks yet again for a great object.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 2:40 PM
Whoa really? I think you got me confused (Not that I dont love the compliment), but this is my first upload object to the site, as for the screens, I dont know whats up, some other items dont have them either, maybe they will get fixed in some time

Try the object and let me know if you liked it ok?
Test Subject
#4 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 3:07 PM
the mesh is good but would it be possible to get some better textures on them?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 3:13 PM
well yeah sure, the thing is that I am learning to use the UVmapper and I find it highly confusing (especially with this Mesh) but when I get it figured out I will post some recolors, give me a couple of days to learn how to use it.
Instructor
#6 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 3:20 PM
I like it a lot!

Why not remove the door and just use a flat piece of wood so there is no conflict in the animation?
Like this one: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...duct_id=3294080

If you are looking for better textures you might try the Formica website:
http://www.formica.com
If you keep clicking on the texture you like you eventually get a fairly decent sized picture of the pattern. Usually big enough for most sims2 projects.

Hope this helps!

Not buying TS4 until Terrain Sculpting is back and cheatless Split Levels are added!
Here's an idea: Stairs Pitch Slider.
"...We've always been at war with EAstasia."
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 3:34 PM Last edited by Sandollar : 28th Feb 2006 at 3:05 AM.
Thanx Anshin Lanugo, I am glad that you liked it.

I kept the Door (actually it was even bigger), because I am actually trying to make every single piece of furniture in my house and make an accurate "digital" version of my house (that I am trying to upload too, when the moderators accept it), so I am keeping the door but if you want I can make a "non-door" version for you or whoever that wants it that way.
Instructor
#8 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sandollar
I kept the Door (actually it was even bigger), because I am actually trying to make every single piece of furniture in my house and make an accurate "digital" version of my house (that I am trying to upload too, when the moderators accept it), so I am keeping the door but if you want I can make a "non-door" version for you or whoever that wants it that way.

Hee hee! I've done that too! I think I've made digital versions of every house I know.

And if you could make a non-door version as well that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your hard work

Not buying TS4 until Terrain Sculpting is back and cheatless Split Levels are added!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 3:57 PM
allright I will, just give me a couple of minutes, while you are chosing what you want, would you like a special texture from that site you linked or other one?
Instructor
#10 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 4:10 PM
I didn't have anything special in mind. Just something that looks like wood. Maybe 4406 Fruitwood, or 4407 Medium Cherry. But really you should pick since it's your house after all...

Field Researcher
#11 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 4:16 PM
not bad for your first object mesh.

thought I'd help you out with the thumbnail issue.
1st- the thumbnail will show correct for anyone that dl's this, as their game will generate it from the mesh file.
2nd for you to update your thumbnail do the following.
right click on start and go to Open, select your hard drive then Program Files>EAGames>TheSims2 (If you have an expansion pack select the folder for the newest EP)>TSData>Res>UserData>Thumbnails
copy both the "Object Thumbnails" and "DesignMode thumbnail" files to:
My Documents>EaGames>TheSims2 (let it override the existing ones)
next time you start the game it will generate new thumbnails.

Oh, and for the texturing, try mapping the desktop and shelves seperatly - from the top, then it won't stretch the texture across. Currently you mapped those parts from the front with the rest of the desk.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 4:25 PM
ok great! thanx for those tips, I thought that fixing that would involve some severe SimPE fiddling hehe
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 4:52 PM Last edited by Sandollar : 28th Feb 2006 at 3:06 AM.
there you go! V2 is now available!
Field Researcher
#14 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 5:00 PM
That desk looks just like the one I used to have! Very cool! :clap:

When this battle is over
I feel I will survive
In the battle of the dragon
No one walks away-S. Nicks
Test Subject
#15 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 5:14 PM
awesome, very realistic!! i hate the boring standard maxis desk, and sometimes i just want something that will look great no matter what house and yours is perfect!!! Thanks again.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 6:01 PM
nice ! and very good for ur first mesh ! and what file in sim pe do u have to import and export to get the mesh shape ( soz im noobish when it comes to manking 3d modles) very very nice anyway

Mcdonalds tv ad: [COLOR=Yellow]ba ba ba ba ba I'm lov'in it[/COLOR]
Me: well I'm not !
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 6:11 PM
thank you mikeyspike and everyone else for their approval, Mikespike I know, starting out is pretty hard and confusing but dont worry just do what I did (well not exactly or you will lose about a week of your life trying to export the mesh to the game haha), I mean follow JWoods's starter object creation V2 tutorial here http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=59293 it is extremely explicit and has lots of pictures that guide you step by step, do the tutorial a couple of times (pay extra attention in the names of the groups that you import in SimPe) you'll understand that later on haha and you will be making fabulous objects in no time!
Field Researcher
#18 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 6:25 PM
thank you

"By perseverance, the snail reached The Ark"- Charles Haddon Spurgeon
~*~MORE SIMS ON THE WAY SOON. WATCH THIS SPACE~*~
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 10:05 PM
This is a great desk, I've been wanting a desk more like this in my game. And thanx so much for having it in both zip and rar form! Very thoughtful of you.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 10:12 PM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 10:40 PM Last edited by Sandollar : 28th Feb 2006 at 3:07 AM.
I want to thanks everyone for downloading
Field Researcher
#22 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 1:31 AM
So what is the poly on this?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 2:21 AM
Ok I think i know the answer to this...

The normal version has 1438
The V2 has 1344

is that the number you needed?
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 5:00 AM
Wow for your first mesh may I say you did a excellent job and I cant wait to have every piece of your home. LOL That sounds like it will be fun for you to do. That way your Simmies can live just like you do. LOL
Thanks for creating it and sharing it with all of us. Keep up the GREAT work. It is wonderful.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 8:13 AM
I love this its so whats the word... Mordern
Page 1 of 2