Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

DBPF Inspector

by Cavallo Posted 16th Nov 2005 at 7:50 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:24 PM by Nysha

21 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 20 Feedback Posts
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 7:51 PM
Cool, but what does it do? I'm slow lol.

Well, I've got a bad feeling about this
I've got a bad feeling about this (To H*** with you and all your friends, it's on.)
I'm commin over but it never was enough
I thought it through, and my worst brings out the best in you.

^MUSIC IS MY LIFE

x.Ken Knockout.x [[.Is a Racecar Driver.]]
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 8:19 PM
Sorry. I guess I could have been less terse. It allows you to open and see the contents of DBPF (.package) files. Suddenly, they show up in the Finder with real icons, and the 'kind' shows as "Maxis DBPF." Double clicking on one will open it, show you the contents in order by offset, and optionally decompress any compressed files inside (which just makes them quicker to open - all contents are decompressed upon opening.) Double-clicking a file in the list will let you view the contents. Any file type I haven't written a viewer for (which is most of them) will open in a hex window allowing you to see the raw guts of the file. I have made some quickie viewers for STR# files (which is fairly bad), BMP files (which works remarkably well, actually) and nerdy things like the file header and the index, and such. Also, you can drag files out of the list and into the Finder to do with as you will.

At this point it's just a sort of hacking tool, but I tried to keep the internals organized such that it may be able to become a full-blown editor someday.
Test Subject
#4 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 8:59 PM
Waw i just say waw that very cool
Field Researcher
#5 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 12:29 AM
Thanks this looks like it could be something very helpful someday.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 1:41 AM
Awesome! Hurrah for a mac pre-modding tool. Nice job!

~JJ~
Looking for a forum to host your creations? Let's talk. PM me or email me from my site below.

Check out Lucentsims :*) And our forums.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 2:11 AM
Thanks. I hope someone finds it useful for something. I basically decided to do it out of frustration at trying to get the PCish programs to run in VPC. I sort of knew it would take quite a long time for it to develop into something truly useful, but I kept at it anyway because it became sort of a game in and of itself.

FYI, It's written in RealBasic. If there turns out to be sufficient interest, I'm not adverse to it becoming a sort of community project, open-source or otherwise.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 4:04 AM
<3 Thank you. Yay!
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 2:57 AM
Peter? I've been using this forever and it's a lifesaver for checking those walls and floors. All I can say if there is anything else you can add to it will be greatly appreciated by me. You are the MAN in the Mac world!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 3:15 PM
Umm - no, I am not Peter. And you couldn't have been using it forever. It has only existed within the last month or so. Although perhaps Peter and I should chat. Who is he?
Test Subject
#11 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 11:35 AM
wt can u do with it
Test Subject
#12 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 11:02 AM
Habbexis, look above

Cavallo - Peter Gould is the person who creater IFF Snooper for The Sims, remember that program that let us export sprites and stuff? Peter hags out at the SimFreaks forum, and at TSR too, I think. You might want to get together with him on this program.

Btw, Thanks -- I think I'll find it useful too!
Test Subject
#13 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 1:21 AM
yea!~ mac users!~ Thanks!
#14 Old 25th Jan 2006 at 2:40 PM
Thank goodness someone cares about mac users around here!
Test Subject
#15 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 4:17 AM
Thank you so much. Finally something for the mac users.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 27th Jan 2006 at 8:04 PM
Could you please update this so that we can export and import files?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 12:28 AM
Woah - sorry about that. I kinda got busy with a million other things. If anyone with some RealBasic skills wants to take over the code, they can have it. It's fairly well organized inside.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 14th Apr 2006 at 1:44 AM
thank you! at loong last some one understands my needs! and since i was just resigning myself to the fact that i am a dunce and could never make any thing of the kind... i bow before your skills!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 11th Jun 2006 at 2:17 PM
Ohhh thank you! Thank you so much! We would be most delighted if you could keep going. Can you make wallpapers etc. with this?

~Sarah~
Test Subject
#20 Old 12th Jul 2006 at 9:15 AM
Default RealBasic
Quote: Originally posted by Cavallo
Woah - sorry about that. I kinda got busy with a million other things. If anyone with some RealBasic skills wants to take over the code, they can have it. It's fairly well organized inside.

Yes. I would love to have the RealBasic source code.
Maybe we can combine it with Peter Gould's texture view:
http://homepage.mac.com/petergould/...PFReader099.hqx

Then gradually add on more TypeID viewers based on what people mod the most.

---
I suggest we officially add an extra 2 hours to each day so we all get some sleep. But then we would just watch an extra 2 hours of T.V...
Test Subject
#21 Old 12th Oct 2006 at 2:21 AM
Default Interesting!
I'll definitively try it!! Do you know about Woohoo, is this somehow related?

Here is the link in case you can collaborate:

http://woohooformac.wordpress.com/
Test Subject
#22 Old 2nd May 2007 at 7:48 PM
Thank You So Much At Least Now I Can Go Into My Character Files See Who They Are And Delete The Extra People Manually!!, It Works With Some Downloads Too. So Thank You. I Mean It's Something To Work From! Time Consumeing Though. I'm Finding That My Characters Are Still There But When I Load The Game There Not There. So Any Ideas On How To Extract Them Back Into The Game?