Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Out-of-date, catching up
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Nov 2004 at 12:24 PM Last edited by Merola64 : 6th Dec 2004 at 7:31 PM.
Default How to clone an in-game object
Maybe someone has already written an explanation, but I haven't seen any, and I said that I should write how, so here it comes

This shouldn't be harmful in any way, but I am not responsible for anything that may happen.

This is not exactly the way I created my two paintings, but I would have done it this way if I had the information and tools I have today.

Needed:
SimPE (If any mentioned feature is missing, try downloading the latest version, which is 0.09i when I am writing this.)
Objects.package (Default location C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Objects\)
List of all objects (OBJD sections) in Objects.package (Either use the one at SimPE's homepage or go here.)
Hex editor of your choice (Not required, but speeds this up.)

How to do it:
1. Decide which object you want to clone.
2. Look up it's Group ID in your OBJD list. For example, the painting used as a base for my Energizer Painting is listed in the following way (SimPE's OBJD list), where 0x7FDEB39C is the Group ID:
"Painting - Poster - Invert: Object Data (OBJD, 0x4F424A44); 0x00000000; 0x7FDEB39C; 0x000041A7; 0x0082;"
3. Open Objects.package in SimPE.
4. Fill in the Group ID of the desired object in "Group Filter" (at the top).
5. "File > Extract all..." It is best to extract it to a new folder, in a place where you can find it easily later.
6. "File > Open..." Go to the folder where you have extracted.
7. Select "Package Description" as file format. Select the "package.xml" file, and open. Remember the number of files (it says "Packed Files(##)" at the top).
8. Click on "Object Data" in the "Filetypes" list.
9. Click on the top/only file on the right.
10. Click on the tab "Plugin View".
11. Change the GUID in the GUID box. It has to be a unique number. If you are going to share the object, please use a Magic Cookie (get one here) to prevent conflicting ID's.
12. Press commit. (Bottom right corner.)
13. If there are multiple OBJD files, select the next one and repeat step 11 to 13.
14. "File > Save as..." You can then close SimPE.
15. Open the file you just saved in your hex editor (or alternatively in SimPE).
16. Search the file for the old Group ID (you have to "reverse it" when searching - instead of "A1B2C3D4" it is "D4C3B2A1"), and replace all instances with "FFFFFFFF". The number of replacements should be equal to the number of files in your package, otherwise something is wrong. [color=#555555](If using SimPE do this instead: Click on the tab "Packed File". Select the top file. Change the Group box (not Group Filter box) to "FFFFFFFF". Click on "Commit". Select the next file and repeat until there are no more files.)[/color]
17. Save the file. You can then close the hex editor (or SimPE). If you want to, you can delete all extracted files.

You have now cloned your object. You will not learn how to change it in SimPE by reading this tutorial though.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 10th Nov 2004 at 12:54 AM
Also, I should mention that when you "extract all", SimPE puts each type of thing in a different directory, with the same file name inside the duirectory. Getting it back into one package is horrible.
Test Subject
#3 Old 10th Nov 2004 at 6:25 AM
Oh, package.xml -- I saw that after I posted and wonderted about it :-)

Meanwhile, I managed to get it to work without changing the group ID, but I did have everything from the object in my package.

However, if you don't change the group ID to zero, you don't get the asterisk on your catalog entry that says it's custom content. the user might need the asterisk to find the object in the catalog.

Lab Assistant
#4 Old 30th Nov 2004 at 8:27 AM
Just to clarify, are you saying that it is safe to change the group ID to 0x00000000 and that this will put the asterisk on the catalogue description? And is this safe to do with more than one cloned object?
I find that If I don't change the group ID at all but still change the GUID, the new object appears in the catalogue but the old one does not. What's to stop the same thing from happening if I have two objects in the game with the same group ID of 0x00000000?
And does anyone know why I didn't have to do this with the Alienware computer hack I made, it appeared in the catalogue without any changes to group IDs and this did not stop the origonal from appearing either. -JoJo

[ Edited 30-11-2004 09:09AM ]

"Stirred sheep and whirreled peas don't mix. In order to mix these two things you would have to puree the sheep." -JoJo
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 30th Nov 2004 at 9:06 AM
Okay, I will answer some of my own questions because I was able to do so so fast and I feel it is important. Changing the group ID to 0xFFFFFFFF (that's eight F's) is the way to go.
I noticed my clone of the fingerprinting gun showed up in the buy mode catalogue when I left the origonal group ID but it made the origonal one disappear from the career rewards catalogue.
When I changed the group ID to 0x00000000 it made the thumbnail in the catalogue say "no pic" and when I bought it and placed it on the lot it was invisable, unusable, and allowed other objects to be placed on top of it on the same tile. (I didn't bother to check if the origonal appeared in the career rewards catalogue.)
I then went back to SimPE and changed the group ID to 0xFFFFFFFF for all files, as Merola64 instructed, and the item appeared in the catalogue (with the asterisk). Also the origonal still appears in the career rewards catalogue as it should.
By the way the latest version of SimPE allows one to change the group IDs of all listed files at once now. Highest praise to Quaxi... YOU RULE!! -JoJo

[ Edited 30-11-2004 09:13AM ]

"Stirred sheep and whirreled peas don't mix. In order to mix these two things you would have to puree the sheep." -JoJo
Test Subject
#6 Old 30th Nov 2004 at 7:24 PM
Hi, I am having problems cloning anything. I would like to know

1)how to change all group ID's at once with Simpe, I have the newest one.

2)Also do I have to go into the game each time to see if it has worked.

3) What are the files saved as. Simpe, sims2 package???
Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 30th Nov 2004 at 8:46 PM
Changing all the group IDs at once is done in packed file view. make sure "............." is the highlited catigory in the left box. Then click on one of the files in the right box and click the packed file tab. You will see a "change all listed" directly to the right of the group fieldbox.
Yes you have to go into the game to see if the object works.
When you export an object from objects package you'll want to export it into a folder you made just for that. It will create a bunch of sub-folders and an .XML file. After that's done you'll want to open the exported project. In filetypes choose SimPE description file or all files. It's the .xml file you want to open. Then click file, save as, and make sure the filetype is a ( .package ) file. You will then want to open that file to start working on it. You will no longet need any of the exported files and folders, just the package file.
I couldn't get cloned objects to work with SimPE v12c. I downloaded v12g and everything works fine... and you can now export and replace textures very easilly with v12g.

[ Edited 30-11-2004 08:51PM ]

Test Subject
#8 Old 1st Dec 2004 at 11:14 AM
Thank You it worked. I had already posted my thanks but it seems to be lost. Anyway, I am now stuck with changing the colour.
Cannot find the GUID list or material list. Is it Tools/Create file list. but no Guid list.
Need step by step guidance again.
Out-of-date, catching up
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Dec 2004 at 7:33 PM
Quaxi's own list is no longer included with SimPE. You can get it at http://sims.ambertation.de/files/Sims2Lists.rar.
Test Subject
#10 Old 11th Dec 2004 at 7:40 PM
Ok, I need some help, I put the ID of the object in the filter but it won't extract, can someone help me a bit.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 2:59 PM
Merola can you post a guide to convert non usual objects making them buyable (like food types, accessories, extra objects, etc..)? :confused:
Mesh Maestro
#12 Old 6th Jan 2005 at 6:15 PM
Default Thanks Merola
Merola64 thanks for posting the tutorial, It is very clear and understandable!!!

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Test Subject
#13 Old 9th Jan 2005 at 5:49 AM
Is it possible to mod something without changing the MMAT?
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 28th May 2005 at 4:15 AM
what the **** is everyone saying???? i don't speak computer!! how do i make a flipping object??????? And plz say it in english!!!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 10:20 AM
I'm really glad that you have this here, because I thought I had done everything correctly, but I see that I missed a few things. Do you plan to update the tutorial with the new release of SimPe?
:flamer:
#16 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 4:44 AM
Hey, thanks for the help! I finally managed to clone something. Now on to harder things...

Thanks again! :D
Test Subject
#17 Old 9th Dec 2005 at 2:13 PM
Okay, I apologise but this makes NO SENSE to me.

I only download SimPE tonight, so I'm a total newbie to all this mess. Haha!

I got as far as opening Object.package in SimPE but then got stuck. There doesn't seme to be anywhere to select an object, or type in a number like you implied there was.

I am very, very confused and not because I'm not computer literate (I'm the IT prefect at my school :P) but because this all might as well be spanish to me.

Please explain in more clear steps for those of us who don't understand what SimPE even does, let alone HOW to do it.

Thanks for your time.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#18 Old 9th Dec 2005 at 2:28 PM
This tutorial is *over* a year out of date. Almost all of this process has now been automated in more recent versions of SimPE. You'd be best to try one of the newer tutorials. Are you trying to make a new mesh object? If you are, then I suggest trying one of the "start-to-finish" object making tutorials. They'll be much more useful to you.
#19 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 6:31 PM
Hey, Merola64.
¿Where can I get the Vehicle GUIDs?...
I'm making a new career, for pre-EP, and I cant seem to find the list of vechicle GUIDs.
Can u tell me?
#20 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 12:59 AM
Hey guys... I can't seem to change the GUID... Can anyone help me to do that?... on a step by step explanation, 'cause I've read about a "Packed File" view tab or something, but I can't seem to find it. Please... Im totally done with my new career, but I only need to change the GUID now to make it work. Once I'm done i'll try to upload it.
Thanks
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 12:07 AM
Hey, i cant open the package.xml file! can som1 help me plz?
Test Subject
#22 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 3:09 AM
yeah, i seem to be having that problem as well. SimPE says "Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException was thrown."

Forty-Two! "Q"! Cheese!

98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't copy & paste this in your siggy.

Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that survived, died, or is living with cancer.
(())
//\\
Locked thread | Locked by: IgnorantBliss Reason: Outdated