Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Decorative - Living Crystal Ball

by Calidan Posted 3rd Dec 2005 at 9:24 AM - Updated 26th Oct 2008 at 3:39 AM by Calidan : Update

31 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 30 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
#2 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 9:30 AM
Very nice. Hope we get more stuff like this.
Test Subject
#3 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 9:35 AM
Thanks. Do more items like this. Please
Scholar
#4 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 9:38 AM
WOW!! Powerfully amazing! A Must have download!
Tentacle Of Righteousness
#5 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 10:00 AM
very,VERY cool

Alt 255
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned
to a dead channel.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 10:22 AM
There's so much we can do with this. Right now it's going into my spacecraft to serve as a ...a ...science fiction control panel thingy something.
Thankyou!!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 10:57 AM
All that shows in my game is a sort of spikey pink lump - like a mesh with no texture. Is it just me?
Cult Leader
#8 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 11:06 AM
Just what i've allways wanted, Thanx!
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 11:12 AM
good work, interesting.I waiting to try it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 11:33 AM Last edited by Calidan : 3rd Dec 2005 at 11:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by goodandgone
All that shows in my game is a sort of spikey pink lump - like a mesh with no texture. Is it just me?

What you are seeing is the base object mesh unrendered because you can not place it in that location. As this object makes use of several animated textures, which once rendered are shown as transparent except for the actual texture animation, the game turns off all rendering FX of an object when it is unable to be placed. As such you see something like the attached image.

--
Calidan
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#11 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 1:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Calidan
What you are seeing is the base object mesh unrendered because you can not place it in that location. As this object makes use of several animated textures, which once rendered are shown as transparent except for the actual texture animation, the game turns off all rendering FX of an object when it is unable to be placed. As such you see something like the attached image.

--
Calidan

Aha! Thanks man.
Test Subject
#12 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 6:17 PM
Pretty....Yes, make more stuff like this.

Moved my site (again) to -->http://free.000angels.com/schnappi/index.html
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 4:18 PM
It seems that some people have been experiencing the problem of the crystal ball not rendering correctly. I am at present looking into what may be the cause and will upload a fixed version when available.

This seems to be only effecting a few (unless others have just not mentioned it) so please give it a try and PM if you also experience this problem (object remains looking like shown in my post previous in the thread)

--
Calidan
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Dec 2005 at 4:09 AM Last edited by Calidan : 5th Dec 2005 at 4:21 AM.
Ok

While I am resonably confident that the crystalball is Original + all EP complient, since I dont have nightlife (yet) I have no way to test it at the moment. All my Objects are created on an Original ONLY Installed system, and while I do have my wife test them on her computer (Orig + EP1(uni)) and they work fine for her, my apologies if it is a Nightlife issue.

That said .. I have tested this as best I can, checking to see if there was some game graphics setting that would stop it rendering properly. This had some strange results (for me) which I am unsure are related to a graphics card issue I have myself. ie. my ATI radeon 9200 wont display cinematics correctly - see the lower half normally but the top is just a mirror of that.

For me, when I set my LIGHTING (yeah only that effected the result for me) to LOWest setting, when the Cyrstal ball is unplaceable, I actually get a red rendered version. any setting higher than LOW LIGHTING produced the unrendered mess of animation mesh.

Note the attachments, rendered is with low, the darker of the maroon/purple was on medium, light on high *go figure*

If others could post their results with different EP's and graphics/lighting settings it would be appreciated (only if you are so inclined) so I can better improve my objects *grin* I may produce a lower plane version in the near future but the end result isnt as spectacular

Hope someone finds this info useful in better enjoying this lovely piece (one of my personal favorites

--
Calidan
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 5th Dec 2005 at 11:11 AM
Calidan, I have Uni, Nightlife and the patch, and am running an Nvidia FX5200 (256) with all of my graphics settings on high. What I get looks like your last two pics, with the pink fuzzy blob. It doesn't matter where I put the globe, or on which surface. Hope this helps. Maybe it is the patch? I had a lot of problem with getting my game to bumpmap with my card after I patched it.
Ooooh, I just thought... I have an early version of Gun Mod's lighting mod... here.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th Dec 2005 at 11:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Calidan, I have Uni, Nightlife and the patch, and am running an Nvidia FX5200 (256) with all of my graphics settings on high. What I get looks like your last two pics, with the pink fuzzy blob. It doesn't matter where I put the globe, or on which surface. Hope this helps. Maybe it is the patch? I had a lot of problem with getting my game to bumpmap with my card after I patched it.
Ooooh, I just thought... I have an early version of Gun Mod's lighting mod... here.

Thanks for the info. I'm also using Gun Mod's lighting fix (nice stuff) so not sure what may be up. Did you try turning the LIGHTING option to LOW in graphics config, as that produced the first of the images above even when unplacable (still not sure why it renders like that on LOW and mesh mess on higher)

--
Calidan
Field Researcher
#17 Old 5th Dec 2005 at 12:18 PM
Funky item! This is so going into the workroom of my sorceress-queen character, it'll make a great 'communications crystal' for the story she's in! Thanks!

Also, I shall report back when I've tested it, and let you know what it does...

"Are you mad?"
"Possibly."
#18 Old 5th Dec 2005 at 7:40 PM
I have tried this object and I have to say that it is pretty nice. The animations work correctly and the object renders correctly in my game. I am using the lowest graphics settings on a centrino based notebook. The object looks fine if I place it on the floor, ground, or table. If I try to place it somewhere that it can't go, I get what looks most like the first picture. Sorry, I can't up the graphics settings to try anything else (the game won't let me).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by octobclrnts
I have tried this object and I have to say that it is pretty nice. The animations work correctly and the object renders correctly in my game. I am using the lowest graphics settings on a centrino based notebook. The object looks fine if I place it on the floor, ground, or table. If I try to place it somewhere that it can't go, I get what looks most like the first picture. Sorry, I can't up the graphics settings to try anything else (the game won't let me).

Thanks for the feedback octobclrnts. I also get the mesh mess when unplaceable - even though it renders fine on the low lighting setting I rarely have my game set on low. I'm pleased it renders fine however once placed and hope you enjoy.

--
Calidan
Test Subject
#20 Old 7th Dec 2005 at 6:43 AM
Brilliant, an amazing creation, keep up the good work.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#21 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 6:16 PM
Ahh yes, it works when I put my lighting settings on low. Is there any way I could get it to work with my lighting on high, Calidan? It looks great, but the rest of the game looks rubbish on the low setting!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 9th Dec 2005 at 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Ahh yes, it works when I put my lighting settings on low. Is there any way I could get it to work with my lighting on high, Calidan? It looks great, but the rest of the game looks rubbish on the low setting!

Well Im glad it works - even if its on low lighting. At this stage I'm still looking into what may be the cause, and suspect it may be due to the 'largeish' number of animation planes I'm using to create the effect.

I'm currently testing this and looking at a means to reduce the number required without a 'noticable' loss of quality and will keep this thread up dated on what I find out.

--
Calidan
Test Subject
#23 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 2:54 AM
awesome!!!

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=6]Islam[/SIZE][/COLOR] is the Best...
Test Subject
#24 Old 30th Dec 2005 at 6:05 PM
Sweet now I can freak off those stupid vistors! thanks
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 6:27 AM
This is stunning, thank you!
Page 1 of 2