Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Altered default NPC and townie names

by jordi Posted 12th Dec 2005 at 7:43 PM - Updated 10th Aug 2007 at 1:35 PM by jordi : instructions edited.

72 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 69 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 7:59 PM
Totally Awesome. I couldnt stand some of the factory game names. Thank you!
Test Subject
#3 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 8:30 PM
Hmm, I just change townie names with Insiminator. That way I don't end up with 'Solveig Chin'. Honestly, what white person is named 'Chin'?

But my neighbourhoods are not meant to be in U.S. or UK, so I don't think this will help me. My neighbourhood is mostly Asian immigrants to a Slavic country.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 10:33 PM
Even though all of my Sims are Japanese, and even though I never associate with townies, this is really useful!
Who names their kid "Goopy", anyway?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 12:02 AM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 13th Dec 2005 at 1:51 AM.
This is fantastic. I saw it on Varioussimmers just yesterday and grabbed it. Haven't tried it just yet, but I can't wait.

I saw on the Varioussimmers thread that you'd done altered versions, so I'm assuming this wouldn't be too hard to edit with my own list of names... I love the concept, but I have a neighbourhood that's... well, it's called Normal, and populated by lots of elves, aliens, vampires, SCA rejects, people in Victorian garb, and suchlike. Very odd place. With your original list being a little heavy on names like "Bryce" and "Bradford" it doesn't quite work for my purposes. I can see it can be edited item by item in SimPE, but that's a little tedious and there seems like there should be an easier way. I also tried exporting the Text List entries from SimPE and then opening them in Wordpad and Notepad, but it doesn't reimport into SimPE correctly.

Is there an easier way that I'm missing to edit the names in the list? I was thinking of perhaps doing a few different versions with different combinations of sets of names... One with just Celtic/archaic English, another with some hip, funky names (like Snow or Ruby for men, and Lord and Rue for women...) suitable for people who dress in lots of shiny black clothing, etc., and mixes thereof for people with combination neighbourhoods like me. I'm assuming from the licensing info that you wouldn't mind edited versions posted (with credit, of course) and I would like to share it with others, as I think it'd be helpful for them. If you can offer any tips in editing the list, please let me know. I'll check in on this thread, or you can PM me. Thanks for all your hard work. I really appreciate it!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 12:51 AM
YAY! I'm so sick of double-up names! Kids end up marrying someone who has the same name as their grandma *shudders*
Field Researcher
#7 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 11:58 AM
Hey jordi,

Just wonderin, any reason you had to resubmit? Did the older one vaporize from here? And do you still have the other, unfiltered version, that includes the non-European names? Just wonderin' in case I somehow lose mine. I know I should back things up constantly, and I usually do, but with the luck I've had with computers *knocks on wood* It's nice to know I could still get redownload things if necessary.

Ste
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 12:26 PM
syberspunk: I took the old thread down some time ago since it got high-jacked. I don't think I have the other version available still, but I'll take a look. It should not be too hard to recreate it, though.
#9 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 12:51 PM
Thanks, the original names are so sad. I mean 'Goopy'? come on.
thanks again
Instructor
#10 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 1:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xxsusannah
Thanks, the original names are so sad. I mean 'Goopy'? come on.
thanks again

Finally, I can finally learn to subsitute those stupid names for the cooler ones for each neighborhoods.

However, that's a bit sad that most of them would be american related for all of the original sims' names in this version :sadpanda: . But I decided to use some 'gajin' sounding names for some of my foreigner sims in one of my neighborhoods.

God, please protect me from your idiot followers for they have blinded themselves with bleach.

Money doesn't buy you happiness but it buys you beer and coffee.

Life is like Go. Its takes smart and amoral people to make decisions based on their strategies of living.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 4:18 PM
Some info which may help in making your own version:

string 96 = male first names
string 97 = female first names
string 98 = male last names
string 00 = female last names

In my mod 98 and 00 are identical, but they can be different.
Test Subject
#12 Old 16th Dec 2005 at 8:15 PM
This is pretty darn cool! A friend of mine wondered if it's possible to make the NPC defaults look a certain way? Like what if we wanted to add our own Celebrities or Restaurant/Bartenders to look a specific way? Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!
GG
Test Subject
#13 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 7:08 AM
Very well done. I must admit that the old Sim names were getting on my nerves every time I created a new neighborhood.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 4:12 PM
Is there an easier way to edit this? I'm just doing it for my own game, and when I open it up in SimPE and if I manually add the desired names, it will take forever. I have 3 lists (txt files) of names, one name on each line. Could I bulk add them by copy and paste?
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 8:54 PM
Aya: there's a small program you could use for this.

It will take strings in the form
Code:
0,John
1,Mark
2,Luke

and convert them to .simpe files which you can import into SimPE.
Your lists can probably easily be transformed into the format required.

You can download the app here: http://members.chello.nl/b.kroonspe.../Name2Simpe.zip

Extract all files in a folder somewhere. You'll only want to edit the text files: leave the other file types alone.

Since in most cases you'll probably want identical last names for males and females, you can copy str98.txt after creating it to strCC.txt. Saves some time.

After you've changed the names in the text file, run name2str.exe

This will generate the four .simpe files containing the names in the right format, and the .xml files which allows you to import the .simpe files into SimPE.

By far the easiest way to make your own mod is to open Live.package in SimPE, and to "replace" the text lists in the existing package with your new files (select the .simpe files, not the xml files).

Oh, and ignore the fact the file I uploaded contains German names: that is because I forgot to backup my English source files.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 12:17 AM Last edited by Aya : 19th Dec 2005 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Added a question
Thanks so much!
What I want to do is make all Japanese names. I've been trying to figure out how to rename all townies than just each one individually by SimPe.
Also, is it okay to add/delete strings?
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 7:48 AM
You can use as many lines (strings) as you want within any of the four text lists. I had a version with 2000 names per section (8000 in total) and TS2 accepted this fine.

If you use less than the default Maxis names will be used for the remainder.
Instructor
#18 Old 23rd Dec 2005 at 8:10 PM
Ooooh thank you for this, I was getting sick of seeing Dagmar and Benjamin Long wherever I went!
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 24th Dec 2005 at 4:23 AM
ok I have my lists and I followed the instructions for your app but how exactly do I import to simpe?
Test Subject
#20 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 3:43 PM
Oh this is perfect - I was getting sick of seeing all of those Dagmars running around town !
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 2:12 AM
TheSimSariah: All the app does is provide the importable files, it won't create the actual package for you. Nor will it check if the source material is valid. It is not an enduser program, it is intended for people with at least moderate knowledge of working with SimPE.

Start by reading the SimPE Introduction that came with your SimPE download. Mess around a bit with it (but make backups!). If all else fails, ask for help on the SimPE forums: http://ambertation.de/simpeforum/

I really can't provide support on this.
Test Subject
#22 Old 4th Jan 2006 at 7:03 PM
Thank you very much for this Jordi. I too like many others am sick of the retarded names that Maxis has put out, especially when I restart my own new neighborhood. I mean I agree with Aya, who the heck names their kid Goopy? Although considering the other retarded names like Abijiheet and Dagmar, Goopy tends to be mild in comparison. This will save me from doing it person by person in SimPE too, which I thoroughly appreciate as it's beyond tedious. Just wish I understood how to edit my own list, but that type of thing isn't my forte sadly.

Thanks again! And my ill-named simmies thank you too!

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory."
My cat intends to conquer the world. One nap at a time.
Aysen - (Turkish) "Beautiful, Like The Moon"
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#23 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 8:31 AM
I'm addlebrained, and forgot to get back to you in a PM (I think), but thank you for the explanation of how to edit the names. I'm still working on getting my lists of names together... So many projects! But I greatly appreciate you making this (and the means to edit it for our own purposes) available.
Test Subject
#24 Old 1st Feb 2006 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jordi
After you've changed the names in the text file, run name2str.exe

This will generate the four .simpe files containing the names in the right format, and the .xml files which allows you to import the .simpe files into SimPE.

By far the easiest way to make your own mod is to open Live.package in SimPE, and to "replace" the text lists in the existing package with your new files (select the .simpe files, not the xml files).

Oh, and ignore the fact the file I uploaded contains German names: that is because I forgot to backup my English source files.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I seem to be a little lost. I've created a list of names, and I've double clicked on the program. I'm not sure if it's running correctly, since it simply opens a window, and then shuts down (doesn't say anything, but it does if I open it straight from WinRar, which doesn't actually help me much). Aside from that, I can't seem to be able to find Live.package anywhere. I'm definately missing something here, or at least misunderstanding something. Forgive my stupidity, but does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? :dunce:
Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 2nd Feb 2006 at 12:25 AM
Assuming your source material was in the right form, you now have a number of .simpe and corresponding .simpe.xml files which contain the names in the right format.

Now open SimPE and make a NEW package (file - new). Add your .simpe files to this package (right-click in the right field and choose 'add' - select the .simpe.xml files; or use the Add... button).
If all has gone well you have four text lists. Check if the names appear if you select them -- you may need to change language first if your file does not contain US en (lang 0).
Then save the package in your downloads folder.

You should be able to use any filename, but for some strange reason it doesn't always work. Hence I recommend saving as 'Live.package'.
Page 1 of 3