Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 10:17 PM
Default Clothing meshes - Transparent overlays
I've seen quite a few meshes lately which have transparent overskirts or sleeves and such. I am trying to make a mesh with a transparent overskirt and sleeves, and have made one with 3 groups, but I suspect there are more steps necessary than those for producing a 1 group mesh. Like how do you do the alphas, etc. Could anyone give me a quick tutorial on how to do it? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read" Groucho Marx
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 6th Jan 2006 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bettye
I've seen quite a few meshes lately which have transparent overskirts or sleeves and such. I am trying to make a mesh with a transparent overskirt and sleeves, and have made one with 3 groups, but I suspect there are more steps necessary than those for producing a 1 group mesh. Like how do you do the alphas, etc. Could anyone give me a quick tutorial on how to do it? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

I think you can get the transparency working by reducing the "opacity" value (after you get the model into SimPE) for the group that you want transparent. The default for most items is 0xFFFFFFFF, which is a BIG hex value (4,294,967,295). Shadows are in the range of 16 or less. Somewhere inbetween is where you need to go. A lot of hair meshes use 11 or 7 or 9 for fine, wispy parts.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jan 2006 at 7:25 PM
Default Transparent overlays
Quote: Originally posted by wes_h
I think you can get the transparency working by reducing the "opacity" value (after you get the model into SimPE) for the group that you want transparent. The default for most items is 0xFFFFFFFF, which is a BIG hex value (4,294,967,295). Shadows are in the range of 16 or less. Somewhere inbetween is where you need to go. A lot of hair meshes use 11 or 7 or 9 for fine, wispy parts.

<* Wes *>

Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid it is rather over my head. I did check some of other people's meshes which work and could not find any change in the opacity value on them. My main problem seems to be how to get more than one alpha...or to go back even farther....how to get the mesh to show up in bodyshop, even.

"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read" Groucho Marx
Instructor
#4 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 6:10 PM
Here is the thread where I learned how to add groups to body meshes http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=75793 . Maybe that will be of some help.

As far as makeing transparent parts you have to make a couple of changes in the MATD for that part.First stdMatAlphaBlendMode:blend second stdMatAlphaTestEnabled:0.

If you want an example to look at you can look at the body_alpha parts for the white queen outfit that I made or some of the animated heels stuff that I did.

Basically though the transparency is not part of the mesh but part of the recolor package.

I am terrible at explaining things and I am sorry about that.If you don't understand let me know and I will try to explain it better.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 7:48 PM Last edited by bettye : 15th Jan 2006 at 12:52 AM.
Thanks....back to the old drawing board. I keep thinking I have managed somehow to get multiple group meshes to show up in the game without changing much of anything, but that may be a delusion. I probably ended up regrouping into one group.

Anyway, off to give various things from the thread you mentioned and see if I can get anything to work.

P.S. Love your Martin Martian

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 12:59 AM
Eureka!!! I did it and it was amazingly easy.

I extracted the mesh parts for the afbodywave mesh with groups named body,bracelets and leg warmers.
I put my body, sleeves and overskirt in place of the body, bracelets and leg warmers. I did not change the names,so sleeves are called bracelets and the overskirt is called warmers....I did this primarily so I would not have problems with groups being named in various other parts of the mesh package which I might possibly miss seeing and changing. In any case it worked perfectly! My new mesh came out with all its parts in the right place. This does not seem like a very good explanation, but in any case, it was very easy. All the threads I had seen on the subject looked very complicated, but when I saw Dr. Pixels thread about how he made the baby doll mesh I knew what to do. I still can't believe how easy it was...now I have to do some more things like that!

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 6:39 PM
where is the thread for the baby doll mesh??
Instructor
#8 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 8:06 PM
I don't think there is a thread the babydoll mesh is found herehttp://theblarneystone.org/.
Test Subject
#9 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 9:01 AM
Hi! When I am going to make the changes in the MATD, as PAF explained, I canĀ“t find it anywhere. So where is the MATD?
Alchemist
#10 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 7:43 PM
It is also known as the TXMT file.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Apr 2008 at 1:46 PM
A good thread for me to learn something~
I will try it.