Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jan 2006 at 10:18 PM Last edited by daysies : 10th Jan 2006 at 4:54 PM. Reason: updated #3 & clarified #1
Default Important Changes Made to Uploads - STARTING TODAY
Hey there!

Just wanted to give you a brief heads up to you uploaders out there. We've made some changes to better optimize MTS2's servers and bandwidth:

1. When you upload, it is now required that you can only submit ONE .rar or .zip or .sims2pack for the file that you are sharing. You may not share .zip equivalents or .rar equivalents. Meaning, you can not upload hair.zip and hair.rar because someone doesn't like .rar files or someone requests it in the thread. That is what Q-Xpress is for. This will save on server space and bandwidth.

2. Also, images are now restricted to 8 maximum per post. If at all possible, please combine your images into a collage of some sort. This also saves on server space and bandwidth.

3. If you need to update your file and you are using the same exact file name, it will now replace the existing file *and* retain your download count, view count, and post ID.

4. Just as a reminder, the Electronic Additional Programming section will be closed in a few days. All attachments will be deleted. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please see this site news for more information.

5. LASTLY, what is up with the "me first" posts in Downloads? Seriously folks, there is no contest as to who posts first. You win no prize. Well, maybe the boobie prize and a dunce cap. Try thanking the creator instead.

Thanks for your continuing cooperation!

DDO
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Jan 2006 at 10:39 PM
Me first!

...I mean, no.3 is extremely useful; the "replacing" works with with both binaries and images, correct? In particular, I'm referring to the case when I post an image, and I refer to that image in another post (using the [_IMG_] tag). Replacing the image (keeping the same filename) will preserve the external link, too?

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jan 2006 at 10:41 PM
*bops Numenor (only because I can) *flutters eyelashes*

Yes, as long as the file name is exact, if you have to replace it, the download & view count will stay the same.

DDO
Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th Jan 2006 at 11:27 PM
I have a question. If you have say two different versions of something you made and want to give the downloaders a choice, can you put them in seperate .zips as long as you don't make .rars of those exact same files?

-Holy Hell!-
The cement is just - it's there for the weight dear!

Nice 'n' easy does it everytime...
Test Subject
#5 Old 9th Jan 2006 at 11:36 PM
Aaargh...Now everybody's going to post only rars, aren't they? I can't use rars OR q-xpress cause I have a mac, download stuff on the mac and move it to my PC to play with...I can see the logic, of course, but this really does cut down on my options...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 9th Jan 2006 at 11:57 PM
SSChan,

Well, if you make 2 seperate versions, then they'd be called different filenames, so that isn't a big problem.

Venetia,

We are still allowing .zip files - it's just that people have tended to upload *both* and this isn't really needed.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 12:11 AM
Venetia, why don't you use the StuffIt Expander? It's an extremely well-know freeware program (I know it, and I don't even have a Mac ) that expands anything: rar, zip, bin and many other formats.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Instructor
#8 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 12:26 AM
Thank you SO much for #3... this would have helped quite a bit early on with my project. All the rest sound great too, once I quit mis-reading it and thinking we were only allowed to post 1 zip/rar file per upload post, that would have been difficult... :D

Thanks for everything!

Be sure to stop by Warlokk's Tower Workshop to see my latest creations!
Need help with the Bodyshape Sets? Bodyshape How-To Tutorial updated 11-18-06
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 12:27 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 10th Jan 2006 at 11:49 PM.
Venetia, you should also be able to download the rar files and save them to your mac as rar files and transfer them to your pc as rar files. They're smaller anyway.
If you can't download because the mac wants to display them instead of save them, pm me and I'll see if I can figure out what settings you might need to change (I have an OS 9 mac and OS X mac here - let me know what your setup is)

edit, I have the answer. So far I haven't gotten the OS 9 working (so if someone is doing a transfer with os 9, write me a private message and I'll try and work at it more)

BUT for OS X - control-click on the download link and then "download linked file" from the pop up menu and you'll save the rar or zip files w/o any problems, and they decode fine.
Test Subject
#10 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 12:42 AM
Numenor: I do have StuffIt, and it does work, but instead of getting the files nicely downloaded, it shows up as text like this..

Quote:
Rar!Ï?s
ét@?E? ¼zi£%o·?)43 5fa282a5_EdeepbluedressE.packageð

tiggerypum: is that what you mean by display? It does that for all the files here that are rar.

And if I can finally get to to the pc, how can I expand them anyway? StuffIt comes up with a formatting error for most rars that I *can* download, they aren't the right type, I guess. So I just have the still non-expanded files when I transfer...and downloading the rar program doesn't work.

Thanks for the help guys anyways
Alchemist
#11 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 12:49 AM
Default Category
Well, I made a new posting with an upload in it to the "BodyShop Meshing" forum.
It wouldn't accept it until I picked a category. And the only category that was on the list was 'recoloring'.
This is one of my [TESTERS WANTED] type messages, it's a new plugin (tsx) for truSpace (where all the .cob files come from) to extract the mesh data from a GMDC.
So, Lucy, start 'splaining...
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
A Sinful Sim
retired moderator
#12 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 1:02 AM Last edited by daysies : 10th Jan 2006 at 1:34 AM. Reason: made a big booboo and overwrote Hunter's post
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
3. If you need to update your file and you are using the same exact file name, it will now replace the existing file *and* retain your download count, view count, and post ID.

Quote: Originally posted by Hunter240x
And what would be a .zip/.rar eqivalent? Can you give an example? If someone were to put multiple files into a folder and upload it (to condense everything into one download), would that be acceptable?

daysies says: (because she overwrote poor Hunter's post)

Basically, we're trying to cut down on people who upload .zips or .rars of let's say daysies.zip and then upload the equivalent of daysies.rar. It's totally unnecessary when the contents inside the .zip/.rar are identical. Just pick one file type you are used to and only upload that type. We're not forcing you to pick .rar because it's smaller.

If you have one MESH, you can label that mesh1.zip. If you have 3 recolors for that mesh, you can either name it recolors1.zip (which contain all) or recolor-a.zip, recolor-b.zip, and recolor-c.zip (if you want them separated andyou don't want downloaders to get "all").

We're just trying to cut down on the # of files because it's really just a waste of space and bandwidth.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 1:18 AM
im ok with all but number 4 ...im very sad about them being removed since the creators worked hard to make them but i know that you must have a good reason for doing this ...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#14 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 1:19 AM
wes_h,

Thats a different problem, not related to upload and I've added a "Tools" category to cope with it.

Hunter,

You can have say:
Object1.rar
Object2.rar
Object3.rar
Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg
etc

If you need more than 8 screenshots then I suggest you use a collage - one per object.

Instructor
#15 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 1:25 AM Last edited by mike19 : 10th Jan 2006 at 1:44 AM. Reason: stuck it in wrong thread
uh oh
i just been checking my downloads and as none seem to have a box checked, i went to edit them but if i choose original nightlife & uni, it wont work. it only works if i select nighlife and uni. not sure about original checked on it's own though.

does that make sense i hope?

edit
just relised i stuck this in the wrong thread sorry.
it should've gone in the suggestions thread

Please dont upload my creations to paysites.
But please feel free to use
ANY other way you like

The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 1:33 AM
Hunter! MY BAD! I edited your post instead of quoting it. So sorry! However, I think I clarified myself in your post. Whoops!

DDO
Alchemist
#17 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 1:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
wes_h,
Thats a different problem, not related to upload and I've added a "Tools" category to cope with it.

Well, it looked related. The category thing is new. I edited my message and changed it. You're quick.
Thanks,
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
A Sinful Sim
retired moderator
#18 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 2:03 AM
ok daysies... just wanted to make sure I understood it correctly before I uploaded anything. I do use .rar which I guess is a good thing since you say they are smaller.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 2:12 AM
I am very new to uploading files here at MTS2 and am a bit confused. I want to upload a set of walls, but I do not know how to 'batch' the sims2.package files into one file. Can you please explain how this is done, or direct me to a thread where it is explained? Thank you so much!

More from Galilea at TSR, most all of my lots and items are free! Useage Policy: You are free to use my items anywhere (free or paysite).
Field Researcher
#20 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
Hey there!

Just wanted to give you a brief heads up to you uploaders out there. We've made some changes to better optimize MTS2's servers and bandwidth:

1. When you upload, it is now required that you can only submit ONE .rar or .zip or .sims2pack for the file that you are sharing. You may not share .zip equivalents or .rar equivalents. That is what Q-Xpress is for. This will save on server space and bandwidth.

2. Also, images are now restricted to 8 maximum per post. If at all possible, please combine your images into a collage of some sort. This also saves on server space and bandwidth.

4. Just as a reminder, the Electronic Additional Programming section will be closed in a few days. All attachments will be deleted. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please see this site news for more information.

5. LASTLY, what is up with the "me first" posts in Downloads? Seriously folks, there is no contest as to who posts first. You win no prize. Well, maybe the boobie prize and a dunce cap. Try thanking the creator instead.

Thanks for your continuing cooperation!

I'm so glad you covered the no first posts. It gets really annoying and it seems like no one stops, no matter how much you tell them! :nod:

"...one person's cult is another's religion; all religions begin life as cults. An alternative definition is that a cult is a religion which you happen to dislike." Anthony Campbell
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#21 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 4:07 AM
asdf,

Yes, you will have to call them different names now. This wont affect existing threads *unless* you choose to update the images.

Calling different images different names is quite normal and is recommended on any system.

Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#22 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 5:32 AM
galilea, to put a set of your walls all into one file, you need to make a folder or folders on your hard drive. Then COPY the files from your sims folders into the new folders you made. Then you make a zip or rar file of the folder, and post the folder.

So say I made 10 walls for kids and 5 floors.

I'll take a few screenshots to show them all off. (I actually use the printscreen button and alt-tab out of my game and put them into paint, crop off uneeded stuff and save as jpg)

Then I make a folder named, say tigs-kids-wallsnfloors
I select the files from my game folder and I copy them and paste them into the new folder
Then I right click on the folder and tell my pc to zip it (you could rar it also, just depends on what software you have installed)

Then I upload my screenshots and the zip I made.
You can organize your work in whatever amount of folders makes sense, although many people find it handy to be able to download entire sets instead of one piece at a time.
Part-time Hermit
#23 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 6:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
galilea, to put a set of your walls all into one file, you need to make a folder or folders on your hard drive. Then COPY the files from your sims folders into the new folders you made. Then you make a zip or rar file of the folder, and post the folder.

So say I made 10 walls for kids and 5 floors.

I'll take a few screenshots to show them all off. (I actually use the printscreen button and alt-tab out of my game and put them into paint, crop off uneeded stuff and save as jpg)

Then I make a folder named, say tigs-kids-wallsnfloors
I select the files from my game folder and I copy them and paste them into the new folder
Then I right click on the folder and tell my pc to zip it (you could rar it also, just depends on what software you have installed)

Then I upload my screenshots and the zip I made.
You can organize your work in whatever amount of folders makes sense, although many people find it handy to be able to download entire sets instead of one piece at a time.

I personally find it annoying when files inside rar files are in folder, but it might just be me. I'd rather have something like that set of walls without any folders. Also if people extract a file like that without looking, it's going to create subfolders instead of going into the main folder, isn't it?
Scholar
#24 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 6:28 AM Last edited by Purplepaws : 10th Jan 2006 at 6:42 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Simsmomma
im ok with all but number 4 ...im very sad about them being removed since the creators worked hard to make them but i know that you must have a good reason for doing this ...

Yeah, I was really mad about this when I first heard it, but the number of random music video uploads is really getting out of hand. At the request of Simsmomma, I've decided to upload my own videos to a site I'm creating. It should be up and running within a few days.

Quick question: what about the people who put their movies into the wrong category (like entertainment instead of additional programming)... will those get deleted, too? If they aren't, that's not really fair to those of us who chose the right category, now is it? (I'm guessing it's not allowed to change the subcategory for the purpose of saving my videos...)

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#25 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 7:50 AM
purplepaws,

Basically all Music Videos and non Sims2 made videos (which is pretty much most of the ones we have) will be removed. This includes this mis-labelled as Entertainment.

Locked thread | Locked by: daysies Reason: outdated
Page 1 of 5