Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Frey - Norse god

by gundavolt Posted 12th Jan 2006 at 2:54 PM - Updated 3rd Jun 2008 at 5:33 PM by gundavolt

8 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 7 Feedback Posts
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th Jan 2006 at 8:06 PM
thank you very much

Mornie utúlië (darkness has come)
Believe and you will find your way
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 12th Jan 2006 at 8:14 PM
What's up with Norway? It seems like these folks have God's for every occassion - bwaaahaaahaaa!!
Nice work!
P.S. - Is there a Norwegian' God for Beer? Hmmmmmm?
Test Subject
#4 Old 12th Jan 2006 at 11:20 PM
Sweetness Frey Is My Last Name! Rock On!

*Signature exceeds 4 line maximum*
Instructor
#5 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 8:13 AM
I'm pretty sure that they might have a god for mead....However, here is a god for the average Joe's in the Norse View....Thor himself. Ingvi, on the other hand, was actually a male god who was converted from his female form that was made by the earliest Norse, probably the Teutonic people.

Of course, you may end up being suprised that Freya (Frey's sister) was actually a very warrior-like goddess who commanded the Valkyries to pick up the dead heroes during the heat of the battle.

But thanks for Frey anyways.

God, please protect me from your idiot followers for they have blinded themselves with bleach.

Money doesn't buy you happiness but it buys you beer and coffee.

Life is like Go. Its takes smart and amoral people to make decisions based on their strategies of living.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 9:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sims2germany
Is there a Norwegian' God for Beer? Hmmmmmm?

I haven't found a God for Beer', so to speak, but mead is connected to some Norse characters:

The jotun Suttung's daughter Gunnlöd watches the mead of poetry.
Odin persuaded (and possibly seduced) Gunnlöd to let him drink of this mead, and remarked that it gave him the gift of poetry and composition.

It was also said about Bragi, god of poetry, that he 'inspired poetry in humans by letting them drink from the mead of poetry.'
(Gunnlöd was supposedly Bragi's mother)

The mead of poetry was made from the blood of Kvasir (the wisest of the Vanir*) and honey.

The goat Heiðrún/Heidrun in Valhalla produces not milk, but mead, and she makes enough every day for all the Einherjars (fallen warriors who come to Valhalla) to drink their fill from it.

* There were two races of gods in Asgard: The Vanir and the Aesir.
Test Subject
#7 Old 17th Jan 2006 at 11:15 AM
Just wanted to join the discussion by pointing out the fact that these gods isn't only Norweigan but swedish too (and probably Dannish and Finnish).
And as far as I know they didn't have any beer god.

He's gonna get eaten by a pink giant marshmallow!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jan 2006 at 6:18 PM
Norse doesn't mean Norwegian, it's the term for old Nordic.
Test Subject
#9 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 6:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alijea
Just wanted to join the discussion by pointing out the fact that these gods isn't only Norweigan but swedish too (and probably Dannish and Finnish).
And as far as I know they didn't have any beer god.

finns, as in, the actual altaic people have their own finno-ugric mythology. the nordic stock can't be considered finnish, but rather nordic living in the land of the finns.

byggvir could be considered a god of beer. (think brygger)

though, we all know pribbs is anything but godly.