Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Updated Feb 11th - SEVEN's FIY TV Channel with Mechanical Skill Gain

by bkn1978 Posted 4th Feb 2006 at 8:59 AM - Updated 27th Feb 2006 at 8:17 AM by bkn1978 : New information regarding mod

104 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 101 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 5
Test Subject
#2 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 9:05 AM
Very useful loolking mod. Just downloaded and will check it out later. Thanks!
Test Subject
#3 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 9:08 AM
Wow thanks dl now and going to try it out.this will be easier and more fun for them to learn a skill then picking up a book,but reading is good for them too.Thanks

Life Is Really Just A Sims Game In Disguise- Jezbel
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 9:17 AM Last edited by Townieforsims : 4th Feb 2006 at 9:18 AM. Reason: Wanted to say thanks
Great download, my sims will enjoy watching tv even more now, so when it breaks... They can fix it! Thanks! :nod:
Test Subject
#5 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 9:36 AM
such a good idea! gonna go test it now. great work!
Test Subject
#6 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 9:40 AM
Zips please coz i real want tis

[SIZE=4]Hey, I like you. but I need you to be more than eye candy around here.[/SIZE]
Field Researcher
#7 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 10:28 AM
Great now all my sims even the coach potatoes can become clever. This is also a nice addition to my other t.v channels i got about 12 on my sims television now.

GREAT WORK - Keep It Up!!!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 10:52 AM Last edited by Numenor : 4th Feb 2006 at 10:59 AM.
Good, good, good job!

I appreciate your release in many ways: the idea is smart; you proved to have a great determination, which is the most important need for a good modder (you never discouraged when you faced the problems; I only would have been able to help you more...); the instruction provided are extremely clear and easy to follow; the movies are funny and conveniently small-sized, so that anyone can easily download them.

I've tested this mod in both the base game and in the Nightlife, and it seems to work perfectly.

Only a couple of suggestions:

1) When you edit the localized text (in the Text List), you should take care of the other languages, too; in some cases, like in the Text List 0x012D, there is only a simple message: if you click "Default Lang Only", all the language will use the English text (Italian users will read the message in English, but at least they will know that the sim has gained a mechanical point, and not a cooking point); in the case of the Text List 0x012E, it's a little trickier, because the first part of the text ("Change To.../") should be kept as is in all the languages; in this case you should manually replace the last part of all the localized texts with your new channel name.
I noticed this problem because I have the game installed in UK-English, and I found 2 "Yummy Channels" and no FIY.

2) I've found out that the modifications in the Broadcast.ini can be made - instead of the file located in the gamedir - in the "broadcast.ini" located in [mydocuments]\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config. This way, users have not to pick any more the right folder depending on their installed EPs: in mydocuments, the Config folder is always the same, unregarding the game configuration.

Lastly, a request (you asked for that! )
I'd like to request the Charisma, though I can't think to a TV channel in real life that could help improving the charisma (I don't like "hacks" that give impossible benefits to my sims).
Therefore, I suggest Cleaning (which, more or less, includes the gardening, too, since Maxis discontinued the original gardening skill and joined it to the Cleaning).

And since you are delving into skill-gaining and TV channels, I have a question for you: do you think it would be possible to mod a channel so that more than one skill is improved at the same time? I guess that it should be possible, but you - by now - are much more experienced than me about this subject...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 11:06 AM
Default cool
that looks like an insteresting mod too bad i have no use for it. still good work :nod:
Test Subject
#10 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 11:47 AM
TV Channel
Hi. this looks really interesting, but without soundin stupid, how do i install it and where is the read me file????
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 11:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
I suggest Cleaning (which, more or less, includes the gardening, too, since Maxis discontinued the original gardening skill and joined it to the Cleaning).

Yeah haha, that would be fun, no more sitting on a plastic chair reading a do-it-yourself manuel for hours
This sounds good, I will test it.

"Canada's military? What millitary?"
-Phillip Rieser
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#12 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 12:12 PM
Well done! A really insightful idea, and a very useful mod.
Instructor
#13 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 12:54 PM
Very good idea, now I'm going to download that hack I saw that keeps a Sim from changing channels.
For charisma skill gain the Style Network would be a good choice to model it on.

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#14 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 1:49 PM
Nice work Books can get very boring....

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Test Subject
#15 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 2:45 PM
YEs Yes YEs!!!! This is great! I've always avoided the mechanical skill because I hate the reading a manual! This is PERFECT! Thank you thank you!
Test Subject
#16 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 2:54 PM
I saw the movies and how did you get the clock to jump like that? Awesome mod! We definately need a charisma tv show with an old man arguing with his reflection.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 4:08 PM
On the mac side, the broadcast.ini files are in different places. I'm not sure if this will challenge compatability, but I'm going to test anyway. I'll let you know if it works.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 4:24 PM
What a fantastic idea! Great job!

Yes, I think other "learning" channels would be great. Going off Numenor's suggestion of a channel allowing a Sim to earn multiple skills would be cool. Almost like a Discovery Channel for Sims where they could gain Logic, Mechanical, Creativity, and Cleaning all at once. And I like SimJymm's idea of basing a Charisma skill earning channel based on the Style Network.

Thank you for your hard work on this. I'll let you know if I have any problems with this.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 4:42 PM
Is the filetype for the movies supposed to remain as .avi? I get the big X on the tv with the repeating text.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 4:54 PM
Ooooooh a charisma channel would be awesome! I hate making my sims stand in front of a mirror where they get all uncomfortable. You could even do a "Queer Guys for the Straight Sim" channel. That'd be great. You can even show the makeover, they're all slobby and gross and over weight at the beginning of the video and then they get all thin and handsome looking with a girl on their arm at the end!

And Trogdor smote the Kerrak and all was in burnination......
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jelenedra
Ooooooh a charisma channel would be awesome! I hate making my sims stand in front of a mirror where they get all uncomfortable. You could even do a "Queer Guys for the Straight Sim" channel. That'd be great. You can even show the makeover, they're all slobby and gross and over weight at the beginning of the video and then they get all thin and handsome looking with a girl on their arm at the end!

I love that idea! Very funny! Cleaning can be the gardening channel, or somesuch, I like that idea as well. Creativity would of course be that bushy haired fellow who teaches painting on PBS. LOL I like the SimStyle Channel idea for Charisma, very good. Anything that I have forgotten? NO? Then we got it covered. More work for you poor dear! Thank you for such an emminently useful and clever mod. Bravo!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 6:07 PM Last edited by tclvis : 5th Feb 2006 at 6:51 PM. Reason: Testing Update
Tested--Pure gold!
You are a godsend! Pure genius! Thank you!!

Okay, I have now tested this mod in several houses over 2 (real) days. It works like a charm. My little simmies are dutifully studying mechanical for those promotions--and they're not getting bored and depressed and running for the swingset!

THANK YOU!!!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 6:09 PM
WOW! Awesome. A charisma chanel would be good, the other skill my sims hate learning is cleaning. Great job!

At my age, any thing I say is an old saying! - Lini
Test Subject
#24 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 6:13 PM
Tried it in game and it work great! TY TY TY TY TY TY
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 4th Feb 2006 at 6:13 PM
Awesome and fantastic! Can't wait to try it...how about "Health" or "Fit" channel for Body skill?? LOL! High five on this mod!

"Play it Sam..."

Also known as ~Drew elsewhere

~Drew's Sim Stories (Sims 2)
Page 1 of 5