Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 6:06 PM
Default Request: Tutorial for 3DS Max object creation?
I just got this for a yule gift and I have started on the tutorials. However, there seems to be sooooo much to this program that I haven't figured out how to use it for my initial desire - making sim objects.

Could someone who uses this already write up some pointers or a tutorial for how to make an object with this?

Thanks,
Reyn

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 7:59 PM
I started with 3DS Max but found it way too complex.
Sorry can't help, I've switched to Hegaxon.

Dallandra

Well you can't blame me, I'm blond

Almost 1000 Sim 2 links: http://dr.sims.jouwpagina.nl/
Scholar
#3 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 9:02 PM
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 9:27 PM
Thanks!

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Feb 2006 at 12:48 PM
Most games require nodes, or dummy objects for mountpoints for objects, colision boxes ect... Some also require them to be linked a certain way and animated a certain way. All i would like to know is a list of nodes you must use if you need them, the way you link the mesh to the nodes, and the way animations are set up. All of the nodes, or dummy objects, with a very breif description would be VERY appreciated. I mainly want to know about them specific to body modeling though for 3d studio max. I don't need to know how to use max, just what the game specificly needs from max's models. That tutorial Tornado posted by the way is for objects, I'm almost certain sim models are completly different.

Thanks
Part-time Hermit
#6 Old 12th Feb 2006 at 12:56 PM
Well, it's an object tutorial because this is an object discussion forum . For object reference points, you can always export the original Maxis mesh and build your own mesh based on that.
Instructor
#7 Old 12th Feb 2006 at 2:56 PM
Well, I'm too lazy to write a complete tutorial but if you have a question I can try to answer.
Just took a look at the tutorial linked in ToRnado's post and noticed that an important thing is missing there, which I've stumbled on already.
If you do an object in Max, make a habit to apply Reset X-Form every time you rotate, scale your object, or move its pivot. Otherwise your object may be distorted or shifted in SimPE and in game, although it looks correctly in Max.
If you want to change an object with animation (or a body/clothing mesh), you must use MeshTool and then import smd file - 3ds format loses all info about joints, you can't export in it.
Scholar
#8 Old 12th Feb 2006 at 3:37 PM
whats reset x form?
Instructor
#9 Old 12th Feb 2006 at 9:47 PM
'Reset X-Form' button is located at Utilities tab (rightmost one). You have to select something that is not a part of a group, then press this button, then 'Reset selected' button will appear and be enabled. After clicking it, you should go to Modify tab (2nd from the left), right-click in the listbox and select Collapse To or Collapse All.
X-Form is called 'Boundary Mesh' in SimPe, if I'm not mistaken. It's a box which your object fits into. It is usually visible in Perspective view when your object is selected.
I'm not sure if its resetting required for all types of objects, but definitely it is needed for doors and windows and if you're exporting using SimPE built-in Skankyboy exporter.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 12th Feb 2006 at 10:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Reyn
I just got this for a yule gift and I have started on the tutorials. However, there seems to be sooooo much to this program that I haven't figured out how to use it for my initial desire - making sim objects.

Could someone who uses this already write up some pointers or a tutorial for how to make an object with this?

Thanks,
Reyn

I've found that following the tutorials that come packaged with 3dsmax were invaluable learning tools. I also followed alot of on line tuts. as well. I probably only know 1/10 of 1% of max's capabilities, but I know enough to make just about anything I can think up.
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Feb 2006 at 12:51 AM
That's the thing, it took me a while just to figure out how to use the tutorials, and while they are very useful, it doesn't give me much yet on object creation. Luckily, blender, milkshape and wings3d are all useful and simpler to use for the time being, but I was hoping to take advantage of the inprogram uvmapper of 3dsmax

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 13th Feb 2006 at 4:52 AM
That's the thing, it took me a while just to figure out how to use the tutorials, and while they are very useful, it doesn't give me much yet on object creation. Luckily, blender, milkshape and wings3d are all useful and simpler to use for the time being, but I was hoping to take advantage of the inprogram uvmapper of 3dsmax

Well, as long as you find what works for you! You may actually have an advantage over me since those other programs seem to be more compatible with object making for TS2, but I just don't want to have to learn my way around a new program, so I'm sticking with 3dsmax for now
Instructor
#13 Old 13th Feb 2006 at 7:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by phoenix_phaerie
I've found that following the tutorials that come packaged with 3dsmax were invaluable learning tools.

Packaged tutorials are really good thing - I learned everything I know from them too
but I was hoping to take advantage of the inprogram uvmapper of 3dsmax

Well, that's relatively simple When you think that your mesh is ready, go to Modify tab and apply 'Unwrap UVW' modifier - select it in the 'Modifier List' combobox; several rollouts will appear below, click on the Edit... button - in the beginning of Parameters rollout. Then 'Edit UVWs' dialog opens. Most likely, it would show a mess of points and lines Toolbuttons work much the same as in general window, and you can use Ctrl+Z to undo, but just one step back.
Now you'll probably want to flatten your mapping somehow. Make sure all the points are selected (or not all, as you want), go to Mapping menu of this dialog, select Flatten Mapping. Adjust options as you want. Click OK. Now it looks better?
Well, it's seldom that you will be completely satisfied with default flattening. So next is manual adjustments - move, break and weld.
If your uvw map was splitted not where you wanted to, you might want to change it. You would need to do the following:
- select vertices where you would like the seam
- from the menu Tools, select Break
- select a vertex on the edge you are going to eliminate - another vertex gets highlighted with purple - that's where you going to move this vertex
- now look for the additional bottom panel, with the 'Select Element' checkbox in the 'Selection Modes' group. If you don't see it, you would need to resize the 'Edit UVW' dialog
- check the 'Select Element' and select any vertex aside from your seam - the whole map element gets selected, including part of the seam
- now move the element where you want, move each pair of purple-highlighted vertices to share the same coordinates (you would need to uncheck 'Select Element' to move by single vertex again)
- select the matched vertices and select Tools -> Weld Selected from menu
Repeat as many time as you need it.
When finished, close the 'Edit UVW' dialog and Collapse modifier and mesh.

Did I explained it a bit?
Scholar
#14 Old 13th Feb 2006 at 12:10 PM
pandora sims 2 also has a uv mapper tutorial for 3d max. it's on the same page
http://www.pandorasims.net/tutorials2.html
Field Researcher
#15 Old 17th Feb 2006 at 3:26 PM
I have to say I've not found too many problems with using Max and creating objects, using the original as a size guide helps enormously. I'm not generally a fan of the UVUnwrapper, I tend to use it as I'm creating the model just to pull different parts of the texture map apart so I can tidy them up the way I want them in UV mapper Pro later. The one thing that I do find is that changing the pivot points on different parts of the object doesn't hold when exporting back out of Max, I use Milkshape aswell to reorganise my models back into obj format and I tend to find that some things aren't where I expect them to be!

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Instructor
#16 Old 17th Feb 2006 at 6:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pistachio
The one thing that I do find is that changing the pivot points on different parts of the object doesn't hold when exporting back out of Max, I use Milkshape aswell to reorganise my models back into obj format and I tend to find that some things aren't where I expect them to be!
That's why I said that doing 'Reset X-Form' should be the habit for anyone who makes objects in Max
Scholar
#17 Old 18th Feb 2006 at 3:54 AM
3d max is only good for making objects not body meshes or objects with animations.
Instructor
#18 Old 18th Feb 2006 at 9:05 AM
Haven't tried yet with objects with animations, but did made a mesh - using Meshtool and Cannonfodder smd importer/exporter. There are 2 problems:
- body states (fat/pregnant) are lost - known 'feature' of MeshTool
- relief is no longer applicable - this will happen if you did a serious change to mesh (not just move vertices) using any of the tools currently available
Scholar
#19 Old 18th Feb 2006 at 5:43 PM
you need to use milkshape if you plan on doing body meshes or objects with animations.