Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 8:12 PM
Default Question: How to edit the" directory of compressed files"
Question: How to edit the" directory of compressed files"

I've come across this problem that the file I'm recolouring has no refernce to a TXMT on the file of " directory of compressed files"

I feel like stupid to try to find a way to edit it so that it'll link TXMT with it. :confused:

Anyone, pleae help...
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 8:39 PM
Well, I don't know the answer to your question.
But I never edited any. I found that if you place the object in the game, the game software will add one into the package for you.
Try saving a copy with NO directory, placing it in the downloads directory, run the game, then look at the copy in the downloads directory with SimPE... it should have a directory of compressed files added into it.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Feb 2006 at 1:53 PM Last edited by niol : 22nd Feb 2006 at 3:13 AM.
Thanks... I'll definitely try it... Thanks wes_h

Upaate:

I still failed to delete that file from the package. I can modify other references except this file.
Since I can't delete it, and so I can't still get the game to overwrite it.

Yet, its presence doesn't affect my purposes at least not at the aspects I care atm.

Added:
The hex editor cannot change its values.
The resource view cannot change its type or value.
Sorry for being so dumb, it turned out that I created an empty package and extracted all except the "directory of compressed files" file and imported them into the new empty package...

Update:

Just wonder about the function of "directory of compressed files".
after repackaging the files without this file, I noticed the size of the file increased tremendously, so is it the function of this file to list out what files in the package to be compressed?
If so and if one can add some added files' name into it, can it make them to be compressed as well?

Last update:
Finally, I've figured out what it does by myself.
So, if one wants to compress the files in a package, choose "yes" for compressing those particular files to create this file. If one wants to delete it, choose "no" to all the files except it in the package file.
Alchemist
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 7:51 AM
Thanks for that research.
I haven't played with actually compressing files myself since the feature became available.
Older versions of SimPE did not have any compression in them, so if you edited a file it became uncompressed it stayed that way.
But SimPE at that time also did not generate the directory.
So I learn something new, too.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 12:12 PM Last edited by niol : 23rd Jul 2007 at 10:13 AM.
I 've tried that method to compress some of the big files, and save some Mb so far... :anime

Just realised I didn't state the procedure clearly. SimPE -> Resource view -> select the file -> at the lowest option about compression -> select "YES" -> commit -> save the package

From my limited experiences sofar, txtr is the most compressible type of files. Then, probably GMDC.

Hope this may be helpful to the others....

updated:
DXt1 doesn't work well with the compression by simpe..., may use DXT3 or DXT5 instead.