Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.2 BETA RC1

by Chocolate Pi Posted 22nd Feb 2006 at 3:46 AM - Updated 16th May 2009 at 10:24 AM by Numenor : Updated info and links

392 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 391 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 16
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 4:26 AM
Regarding the userstartup.cheat file...do we let the 'Config' folder in the download just overwrite it, or do we place the file itself into the premade Config folder?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 4:37 AM
Yeah, the userstartup and shader file, in the My Documents folder in the rar, should work if you extract the whole thing to My Documents. But whatever gets it done; no other files will be overwritten if that's what you are asking.
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 5:46 AM
Ah. That was sort of what I was asking, but it's running well enough...I guess the extracting and whatnot worked out anyway. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 7:49 AM
I'll give her a go! LOL

At my age, any thing I say is an old saying! - Lini
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 8:58 AM
I am large fan of Sim Realism, Just take a look at some of the items I have made or had my hand in (I.E. "Alice"). I also was awaiting Gunmods Vs.2.2 of his lightmod. So I will be a lab rat and test this out.. It is sad to hear Gunmod left the project, but he must have his reasons..
Thanks for letting us know and for showing us what was done...

Real

Little Yellow Rubber Ducks
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 10:55 AM
reasons are
he was tired of this mod-doing one thing with hndreds of file
his wife is pregnant and expecting a baby in march
she was having difficutlies-so he had to quit
he will be bak soon and make other mods-not radiance though
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 1:50 PM
Chocolate Pi

PLEASE READ AND ADD THIS TO YOUR POST-

gunmod said this mod will have censor remover in it s we should remove any other censor remover we have
i rremmoved my cnsor remover after installing this
checked in game
it works fine
no censor

-----
but i dont find anything new
it lookss same as 2.1
can u tell whats new-
Test Subject
#9 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 9:23 PM
Sweet! My game's very picky and unstable, do I can't test it, (Sorry!) But I can't wait yo see what it's reviews are! Thankyou to Gunmod, Chocolate Pi, and everyone testing this!

Is there any way to remove the censor remover? I have SimPE and if you could give me directions I could probably change it in there. Maybe.

So thanks!

........................ woo....hoo ........................
~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~<3~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 10:16 PM Last edited by Chocolate Pi : 22nd Feb 2006 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Checked Censor Issue
Default Changes
Quote: Originally posted by Nollie
Chocolate Pi

PLEASE READ AND ADD THIS TO YOUR POST-

gunmod said this mod will have censor remover in it s we should remove any other censor remover we have
i rremmoved my cnsor remover after installing this
checked in game
it works fine
no censor

No, this shader files is an updated version that should not include the censor-removing commands. I tested my copy of the game with only the included shader file, and the censor was still present. (I'll check to make sure I'm not mistaken.) This shader file only includes a single component that affects pools with Pixel Shader 2 hardware, it has nothing to do with the censor.

but i dont find anything new
it lookss same as 2.1
can u tell whats new-

Let's see:
The only modifications I made, at all, were to the main lighting.txt file.
-I decreased daytime skylight from .5 to .3, eliminating the way-overbright sun in the previous beta. Still bright, but seems realistic to me.
-I think I turned daytime Light sun (glint) down from 1.5 to 1.4, just to take a bit of edge of the brightness.
-Messed around with the Simfill settings but in the end left them as is for all times of day.
-Set inside portal settings for all times of day to [2, 1.7, .3, .4]
-Tweaked outside portals: made them a tad longer at night, a bit dimmer in the morning, and added them at half original brightness to evening.
-Made outside lights a bit dimmer in morning, and allowed them to be very dim but still visable in evening and daytime. (You will only be able to see their light if they are in a shadowed area or if shining the outdoor spotlight on something.)
-Made morning shadows a bit darker, between night and day shadows.

PLEASE give feedback on these changes and other ideas are more than welcome! Sorry for not posting this sooner, I was in a rush to get it posted at all last night, having just finished my final testing.

EDIT: I checked, and for sure nothing in this set of files should have anything to do with the censor. (Unless you are using a userstartup line with the original game or University, in which case this mod will override it and you'll have the censor back.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 3:00 AM
Wow, I have waves in my swimming pool! Excellent, this mod works very well for me- I didn't use the previous version as interiors looked too bright with my card, so I stuck with a very early version of the lighting mod. But this is great, everything looks very realistic and the shadows outside have a great contrast. I especially like the pool, did I mention that? Thankyou to Gunmod, and to you, Chocolate Pi!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 3:14 AM
I'm glad you like it; I looked into tweaking the waves but found it was beyond my ability to improve beyond Gunmod's final shader file. I'm glad you like the brightness and shadows.

I spent the most amount of time tweaking the portals; do they look ok? (Portals are the flow of light from one room to another, including outside light coming in and inside light coming out.) It is my opinion that the new portal settings give an almost perfect brightness and distance to the portal light, but that may not be the case in every scenario and to everyone's tastes. Also, there seems to be an unavoidable short-coming of the engine that basically equates to there being a small gap between rooms and the adjacent portals they create in bordering rooms. This means archways have a very small "dead spot" of darkness under then, as if the archway was casting a thin shadow straight down. Many won't notice, but it bugged me while I was having to work with portals.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 3:36 AM
My this is excellent of you to pick up and help him finish this project. I cant wait to try it out and see how wonderful this is going to look. Thanks for spending time in finishing this, Your Great!!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 11:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chocolate Pi
No, this shader files is an updated version that should not include the censor-removing commands. I tested my copy of the game with only the included shader file, and the censor was still present. (I'll check to make sure I'm not mistaken.) This shader file only includes a single component that affects pools with Pixel Shader 2 hardware, it has nothing to do with the censor.

Let's see:
The only modifications I made, at all, were to the main lighting.txt file.
-I decreased daytime skylight from .5 to .3, eliminating the way-overbright sun in the previous beta. Still bright, but seems realistic to me.
-I think I turned daytime Light sun (glint) down from 1.5 to 1.4, just to take a bit of edge of the brightness.
-Messed around with the Simfill settings but in the end left them as is for all times of day.
-Set inside portal settings for all times of day to [2, 1.7, .3, .4]
-Tweaked outside portals: made them a tad longer at night, a bit dimmer in the morning, and added them at half original brightness to evening.
-Made outside lights a bit dimmer in morning, and allowed them to be very dim but still visable in evening and daytime. (You will only be able to see their light if they are in a shadowed area or if shining the outdoor spotlight on something.)
-Made morning shadows a bit darker, between night and day shadows.

PLEASE give feedback on these changes and other ideas are more than welcome! Sorry for not posting this sooner, I was in a rush to get it posted at all last night, having just finished my final testing.

EDIT: I checked, and for sure nothing in this set of files should have anything to do with the censor. (Unless you are using a userstartup line with the original game or University, in which case this mod will override it and you'll have the censor back.)

hmm quite a lot of changes
but well i dont know why
i went to downloads folder and deleted the quaxi's cencor remover file
and checked game and censor didnt come bak-

one question
after installing this mod shall i reinstall CEP as numenor also said in gunmod 2.1 thread
Test Subject
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 3:30 PM
Hmm sound great, but does it increase game "system requirements" ??
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#16 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 5:50 PM
Erjot7, version 2.1 tended to increase game performence, so no, it shouldn't. But, you do need a video card that supports pixle shading to use this properly.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Test Subject
#17 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 12:55 AM
It's Pixel Shader 2.0... I love the eye candy though, It works great with my nVidia Graphics card..

Also, I love the waves... it looks more realistic than before.

Edit: ATi xXXX series and nVidia GeForce 6 series support Pixel Shader 2.0. Intel 900 and 950 series support them as well.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 2:25 AM
hmm quite a lot of changes
but well i dont know why
i went to downloads folder and deleted the quaxi's cencor remover file
and checked game and censor didnt come bak-

one question
after installing this mod shall i reinstall CEP as numenor also said in gunmod 2.1 thread

I am pretty sure CEP 3(.3) is automatically referenced for inclusion by the default lighting file.

Quote: Originally posted by alyssachanpc
It's Pixel Shader 2.0... I love the eye candy though, It works great with my nVidia Graphics card..

Also, I love the waves... it looks more realistic than before.

Edit: ATi xXXX series and nVidia GeForce 6 series support Pixel Shader 2.0. Intel 900 and 950 series support them as well.

ATI Radeon 9000 series (though maybe not the 9200) and X000 series are Pixel Shader 2. nVidia Geforce 5 series has it too.

nVidia Geforce 6 and 7, along with the Radeon X1000 series, have Pixel Shader 3. The base game unpatched does not recognize PS3 cards as supporting PS2, but somewhere along the lines of expansions and patches, this was fixed.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 5:23 AM
Yes, I can confirm that the CEP 3 references are there in the lighting files. There is no need to reinstall it.
Test Subject
#20 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 9:05 AM
hi, firstly thanks to chocolate pi for picking up where Gunmod left off , i just have a simple question - in the userstartup.cheat file, is it ok to remove the text above "# FOR RLS 2.2 DO NOT REMOVE THIS LINE BELOW"? I'm no programmer, but the double #'s mean the game ignores the line anyway, doesnt it?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#21 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 5:39 PM
Actually, the game doesn't ignore anything, it just doesn't process lines it can't understand. You can change any line in that file, except the one below the one you posted.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 12:40 AM
I would love to see a screenshot of the pools using this mod.

forever and ever....amen.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 2:46 AM Last edited by Chocolate Pi : 26th Feb 2006 at 3:27 AM.
Well dang... I went and took a bunch of great pool pictures, but they are gone! The only one I found was the very last one I took, showing the light's effect on some ceilings I downloaded.

EDIT: Found 'em!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 1:00 PM
oh wow!
That is amazing!
The pool looks so lovely.
thank you for the pic!

forever and ever....amen.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 3:10 PM
best mod ever for me. it looks like a new game now like sims3 or something. great new atmosphere. respect to the people working on this.
Page 1 of 16