Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 3:35 AM
Default Non Cheat Stairwell Theory- OFB required
please note, at this point, until someone with the game test this, this is nothing more then a theory on how to make stages that are taller. if you do have the game, and are willing to test this, please, and post your results:

To begin, you want to decide where the stairwell is going to go. you will want to do this before you really build the house, so it will be easier if you plan it to be there then build the house around it.

similer to some stairwell techniqs, you want to figure out where your stairwell will come like above, but you will not be useing any cheats, you just start in a similer way.

this thoery is ment for people building houses on foundations. when you have choosen where you want to place the stairwell, move two squares in one direction and raise a square of ground up to the height you want, taking into effect that stages are 8 clicks high *was that it? again, I dont have the game to test it exactly* so if you want to make a stairwell that is in two equal parts, you want to raise the ground to a equal part to the hieght of the stage/foundation.

the next step is to drag a foundation from the raised square across to where you want to put the stair landing. I personally recommend making it longer. As foundations can be any height, this theory depends that the stages are like the foundation, that they will keep going down until they have found a surface. with a foundation that is twice as tall as it would be if you had placed it on the level ground, place your stage where you want it to be.

if stages work like foundations, when you remove the foundation, the stage should decend. just lower the ground back and place your foundation *hoping that you can place a foundation under a existing stage*

if all works well, as I really hope this those, the stage hopefully will stay at its level, where as the foundation will be half its height when you began, thereby creating a stage to place walls against, and use connecting stairs to make perfect equal stairwells, or anything you want.

again, this is purly theory, but I feel hopeful that this will work.

I will likely get the game on the 1st, and will likely try this out first, but if any of you have the game, and are willing to test this, I would be grateful.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 4:41 AM
There're alreay a few non-cheat ways to build various types of stairs including the types meantioned here without the coming EP OFB. Why there is such a need to have that EP in particular to do what you want and have mentioned here?

As mentioned, use the foundation tool and spread it from a multiple of 4-click-hight (in terms of the raising terrain tool) to build different landings for the stairs, why must it take the EP OFB's split-level tool to accomplish the task?

Anyway, I really don't get the points well...

Lol, may read the folloing 2 tutorials for non-cheat stair making:

HabboArwen
Tutorial-Spiral staircase with paintable wall
http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/sto...&user_id=119356

SimMasterRalph (@ Maxis)
Spiral Stairs Inspirations
http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/sto...&user_id=136631

These two are really good examples for non-cheat-based stair-making with connecting/modular stairs.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 5:40 AM
because it can reach walls. most others either can't get to walls or require CFE
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 6:15 AM Last edited by niol : 28th Feb 2006 at 6:23 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Fat D
because it can reach walls. most others either can't get to walls or require CFE

good point, thanks Fat D..

If so, will there be some tests on the upper levels as well? I f that works, such type of stair can go even higher...:D
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 8:37 AM
I think the new stage/foundation can be placed over itself too. That means you just build your stairwell like you would in a real house and put two bits of stage on top of each other to make the half landing. Each bit looks like it's fixed at the 4-step modular height.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 1:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I think the new stage/foundation can be placed over itself too.

Where'd you get that from? This is the one bit of information I'm waiting for ... hassle-free u-turn stairs would be about the only reason for me to get that expansion pack =) so if you have any more info on that, enlighten me! Please!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 1:42 PM
Well they said you can place the new foundation on a foundation. As they are calling this new thing itself a foundation, I really don't see why it shouldn't go on itself. That's how I deduced it anyway, rightly or wrongly.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 2:49 PM
This sounds logical ... I'm just not sure if the same kind of logic exists in the Maxis universe =) I guess I'll wait and see, then. Thanks for your answer!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 3:29 PM
It's coming... and we'll soon know the answers.... :D
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies