Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Nov 2004 at 8:39 AM
Default Unable to delete Connecting Stairs
With a recent creation, I found myself with several sets of connecting stairs that cannot be deleted. Putting in a test sim shows that it would refuse to use the stairs.

Just seeing if anyone had encountered the non-existent type stairs and whether or not they have found a work around.

Ralphael
Advertisement
Deviant Savant
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Nov 2004 at 8:46 AM
I had a similar problem with one of my houses and after moving the stairs several times I discovered the problem was really a missing archway on an upper floor that was preventing him from moving. It may be there that there is an obstacle somewhere between the sim and the location you are trying to go to.

"I guess I should warn you: If I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I said" - Alan Greenspan
Forum Resident
#3 Old 15th Nov 2004 at 1:51 PM
they must be deleted from the lowest floor they are on
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Nov 2004 at 8:35 AM
Thanks for the replies.... I had to scrap that house.

Seems that the sims do managed to get to the second floor after some strange graphics (running leap) then falls through the second floor.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 20th Nov 2004 at 3:28 PM
OOOH MEE TOOOO!!!!
Sorry to act like a spaz, but one of my favourite houses I have made has this problem, and I have not found anyone who also had this problem yet.

you can see the house here:
http://mikeinside.illusionfxnet.com/sims2/houses/konseal/index.html

but i dont want to put it up for download until i can fix the bugs! any ideas??
Field Researcher
#6 Old 20th Nov 2004 at 8:21 PM
I think the white or silver looking stairs have a bug that maxis needs to address as well, because I to have trouble deleting those white or silver stairs(none block like stairs) the white or silver stairs have a black railing you can add!.

[ Edited 20-11-2004 08:22PM ]

I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die,So let me live my life the way I want to!.-J.Hendrix
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Nov 2004 at 9:35 PM
Where do those metal stairs come from? I cannot find them in my build section and in my downloaded homes they cannot ne moved or deleted

Hello. My name is Pacha and I am a downaholic
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 21st Nov 2004 at 10:10 PM
I noticed that if you have a stair that has an optional railing you need to delete the railing first then delete the stairs to avoid problems.

Why kill two birds with one stone when you can feed two birds with one scone.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 25th Nov 2004 at 1:38 AM
I have a stair problem too - can't move or delete stairs in my houses. What's up with that? Is it another Maxis bug?

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not."
Test Subject
#10 Old 26th Nov 2004 at 2:48 AM
Add me to the list. Had to bulldoze an entire waterpark because of one four step flight of stairs that wouldn't go away!
I'll have to check and see if it really is only the white steps causing problems.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 26th Nov 2004 at 3:37 AM
I'm Absolutely positively sure these white/silver modular stairs I think maxis call's them, but don't quote me on that please, I think they have a serious flaw, a bug in them that maxis needs to address, I refuse to place them through out my house's now when building them because Of the trouble of deleting them once installed, and placing railing's on them doesn't help remove them either, I'll use them only at the front door foundation patio entrance's with a basement now!, and the back , or side patio's now as well!.

I mostly use block stair case's now through out my house's when building them now!.

Stairs I'm referring to with problems!.

Please post a hosted picture of the stairs you've had problem's with!, keep image under 600x600

It be interesting to find out what stairs have problem's, and it be helpful as well!.

thx Craig

I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die,So let me live my life the way I want to!.-J.Hendrix
Test Subject
#12 Old 26th Nov 2004 at 4:05 AM
The Holy Smoke stairs? I've never had these problems yet, and I guess I'm lucky.

Managing Managers' Managers is a long alliteration.

Sim 1: "We're 3D! Wow!"
Sim 2: "I sort of miss the old days... When we'd kiss, we just might have made a child, and we'd have to pay ยง20 to play around in bed."
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 6th Dec 2004 at 5:17 AM
It occured to me that you may be having trouble because you cannot select the stairs with the hand tool to delete them. Have you tried selecting the stair tool in build mode and then holding down ctrl then click on the stairs?
Field Researcher
#14 Old 6th Dec 2004 at 5:39 AM
poi_boi
I've done that too, ctrl and stair tool and they still wont delete, I even put columns underneath and they still wont delete!.
#15 Old 2nd Jan 2005 at 4:52 AM
deleting stairs
Stairs .. grrrrrr double grrrrrrrrr !! Nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem .. I've been trying to delete a set in one of the houses that came with the game and they won't budge! :weep: PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE THE ANSWER TO THAT ONE .... Maybe" in demo homes it just can't be done ... hmmm anyone know?

no problems deleting the ones I buy myself ... Go figure $ grrrrr $
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 2nd Jan 2005 at 10:13 PM
I'm having problem with the first set in the menu the light brown wooden connecting stairs.... just wont budge.... i first realised this when trying to add the bannisters which wouldnt work so i tried to delete the stairs and they just wouldnt go.... what i will do in future is when i place stairs i will try and delete them straight away and if i cant then i can click undo... i think the problem is in my lot is the stairs have a foundation underneath them..... i have a house next door on the same lot built to the same layout and i tried putting the stairs in the same place and they wouldnt delete and also it said not enough room at the bottom but with move_objects on it lets you place them anyways causeing this problem... so i clicked undo tyo undo the experiment.... i think that is where this glitchy problem is.... what can we do about it? .... i see i the above pic raised ground i think that is what caused the glitch... i will go into my game at some point and take some pics and sort them out soon.... how do you put pics up>... call me stupid...
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 3rd Jan 2005 at 12:13 AM
Default Heres my little nightmare
These are the two flights that i can't shift.....
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 3rd Jan 2005 at 6:27 AM
its happened to me with the dark brown stairs AND the white stairs... seems like they might all suffer from this bug.
Test Subject
#19 Old 3rd Jan 2005 at 6:50 AM
I can also confirm this same "cannot delete" problem with the DEFAULT dark brown wooden connecting stairs in MANY of the VeronaVille homes. Yes, I am talking about the VeronaVilla town that comes with the game.

This bug is very annoying....
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 3rd Jan 2005 at 8:18 AM
When you are in the modular stairs section, press ctrl and delete the highest flight of stairs, this will delete all the flights, hope this helps. the white ones i do not have a prob with it.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 3rd Jan 2005 at 10:59 PM
tried this... did not work
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#22 Old 3rd Jan 2005 at 11:25 PM
Nothing seems to work. I was really hoping this would be fixed in the patch. :/ I've only run into this problem in one house, but of course it's my favorite one of my own.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 4th Jan 2005 at 12:05 AM
I just tried raising the terrain under the stairs but it only allows you to go to the level of the pavement... i think that if i could raise to the floor level direct flat under the stairs i think they would then delete..... but it wont allow to raise that far... have you all reported this?... has anyone searched the bbs for similar proplems?... i think i will report it tomorrow...
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 4th Jan 2005 at 5:03 AM
hmm i doubt this would work... once when it happened to me, the stairs were only four steps high, and they were completely connected to the terrain.

the other time it happened, the stairs were 14 steps high, joining two different floors, and not connected to the terrain at all... so that doesnt seem to have much impact on the problem
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 4th Jan 2005 at 5:19 AM
I'm not entirely sure if the stairs themselves are to blame as I've had the same problem with other things acting in the same way. On one lot I was building there was a section of cut stump hedge fencing on the terrain all by itself. Normally this wouldnt seem strange except for the fact that the section only consisted of a single circular cut stump. The only thing stranger than that was the fact that I never even placed a strip of that type of fencing on that lot to start with! It took me a little while to realize what it was and when I tried to delete it, it wouldnt go anywhere. I tried placing a section of the same fencing over it and then removing it. This only resulted in making my game come to a screeching halt followed by crashing to the desktop with an error message. This has yet to happen again but it leads me to believe that the stairs may not be the actual culprit, just a more common occurence of a similarly related problem.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 2