Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

OFB Mailbox fix **fixed by latest Maxis patch**

by windkeeper Posted 18th Apr 2006 at 5:25 PM - Updated 19th Nov 2006 at 9:45 PM by windkeeper

34 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 32 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
#2 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 5:32 PM
omg! THANK YOU!!!
can you make a mod so that anything can be placed anywhere on the street?
i have stories where they need to be on the street, and i can't place them!!!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 5:37 PM
Its possible to make that mod, I even tested that, however the side effect of it is that two different objects can be placed on the same tile at any time. I cannot predict what effect that would have on a game. So I'm cautious to release that one.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 5:42 PM
ah. but with move objects, people could have done that anyway.
so how about just caution them???
i would pretty much worship the ground you walk on if you could do that. </creepiness> ^__^
i about died when i got OFB. no more objects on streets!
Test Subject
#5 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 5:47 PM
Thank you so much windkeeper......I have found this "out of bounds" problem a real pain.....you always have this uncanny creativity, that you always think of the little thinks that we all want/need or like...thanks again and thanks for all the wonderful d/loads you have created
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 5:49 PM
I will test that global hack some more then. Will see..
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 6:01 PM
Yeah, I agree with wicca_gal and sapphire65. I find it really annoying. I can't put my gargoyle statues outside Malfoy Manor now . . . Or put grass tufts around the mailbox/trashbin . . . *cries!* I wonder why they changed this? :^|

Back playing Sims 2 after 10 years . . .
Test Subject
#8 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 6:14 PM
And once again balance is restored into my universe.

Thank you
Instructor
#9 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 6:19 PM
For every dumb Maxis "feature" there's a great mod
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 7:20 PM
The new global hack is now posted
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 6:58 AM
Windkeeper, are your Mailbox and Trashcan Community-enabled?

I already have one or two Collections that contain the 'Box and the 'Can, but they're not purchasable on Comm Lots. As I'm sure I don't need to point out to YOU(though any newcomers reading might wonder), this means entering and saving Community Lots TWICE when converting to Residential, before a family can be moved in.

Obviously, if the 'box and 'can could be bought while it's still a Community Lot, well, you get the idea I'm sure.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 8:58 AM
No, they are not community enabled. You would need a different collection file for this. I can easily make one, just never thought people would have a need for it. Let me get this straight, you need community enabled mailbox when you want to convert community lot to residential?

I don't want to mess someone's game by posting community enabled mailbox. Just please confirm this so I would type a note when the file is posted.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 3:35 PM
Sorry, strictly speaking it's not Community-enabled, rather it's simply the perfectly normal mailbox, but showing up in the Community Catalogue.

You see, if you want to turn a Comm Lot into a Residential or Dorm, you have to enter it in order to do the Changelotzoning cheat... BUT, it remains a Comm Lot until you exit, and you can still only purchase from the Community catalogues(ie. no mailbox and trashcan). So, you have to exit and then come back IN so that you can now buy the mailbox... and you have to do all that before you're able to move in a family. Because of course there's no Live Mode until the mailbox is present.

IF the mailbox(a totally ordinary one) could be purchased on Comm Lots as well as Residential, it would just save a lot of time and remove the need for entering the Lot a second time before moving in a family.

But no, it won't screw up the game, not if it's just a perfectly ordinary Mailbox and Trashcan. Indeed, I do actually have some Community Lots with 'Box and 'Can present, because they were once Residential Lots. There seem to be no ill effects. Obviously no mail ever gets delivered.

They're perfectly benign.

Soooo, I'm hoping I've made that clearer rather than murkier, lol. Totally ordinary Mailbox and Can, but in a Community Collection.

If I may ask that of you.

Many thanks.

Adam.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th Apr 2006 at 4:17 PM
Great, thanks for for the explanation! I added new collection file and linked to your post for others to read. Let me know if the file works.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 1:44 AM
Oooh, thank you so much, Windkeeper. That'll save me(and perhaps other users too) a lot of messing about whenever converting Comm Lots to Residential ones.

Much appreciated.

Adam.
Test Subject
#16 Old 4th May 2006 at 3:16 PM
I've used this but never deleted the original can and box. I just move them where I want. No interrupted mail. Thanks for this hack. I usually hate where the mailbox and can end up on a lot!
Test Subject
#17 Old 13th May 2006 at 9:51 PM
so can you have more then one mailbox? like one in your house so you can use the mailbox cheat and one outside?
Test Subject
#18 Old 1st Jul 2006 at 12:26 PM
hi, i just want to ask where should i put the file, "wind_OFBmailboxtrashcancommunitycollection.package" ? is it just treated as normal downloads and put it into the download folder???
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st Jul 2006 at 5:09 PM
Into "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Collections" folder, it says so in my post .
Test Subject
#20 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 9:38 AM
Why do you put a patch on each sims game? I don't have any patches. Should I?
Test Subject
#21 Old 16th Jul 2006 at 12:31 AM
so um, can you have more then 1 mailbox? Since that would be really cool. great job though.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 16th Jul 2006 at 7:48 AM
Get my decorative mailbox then you can safely put as many in one lot as you want.
Test Subject
#23 Old 30th Jul 2006 at 9:00 PM
ok thanks! And patches are something some people get because they can fix things in the game. You don't need to get them.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 7th Apr 2007 at 12:33 AM
I downloaded a lot at reflexsims, and a ton of her houses have the mailbox placed across the street from the home, with the mailbox facing away from the house. This is a really difficult problem for my sims when it comes paying bills. I will try to do this hack to prevent illegal action against my sims. XD. thanks for the hack. You are a lifesaver.
Test Subject
#25 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 12:33 AM Last edited by mattseigel11210 : 4th Aug 2007 at 7:12 PM. Reason: found out y
Default figured it out.
im having trouble putting the mailbox and trashcan into the lot castle Brittannia. the objects show up in the catalog but when i try to pick them and put them on the lot it wont let me. can you help me out because i really want to use this lot.

edit: i figured it out just after i wrote my problem. i tried it in build mode and it worked
Page 1 of 2