Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th May 2006 at 3:19 PM
Default TUTORIAL: Correct Footstep Noises On Skins!
I have observed for awhile now that people frequently rework meshes, often Maxian meshes, into Something Entirely Different. Often, a footwear is reskinned into an entirely different class of footwear, particularly prevalent in anything derived from the barefoot "underwear" and "swimsuit" meshes for tight clothing, as well as in custom meshes derived from the above.

The result is that the footstep sound is wrong.

Fixing this is actually quite simple, and it would be nice if creators of quality works paid attention to this little detail. Here's how it's done.

Open up the finished skinfile in your SimPE of choice. Open up the GZPS propertyset, like one would do to YA-enable clothes, and find the entry "Shoe". Alter it if necessary to one of the values below.

The following values have been identified:
0x00: None - This outfit is a top and has no shoe. Don't use.
0x01: Barefoot - This outfit is barefoot and has no shoe - very commonly an erroneous value for swimsuit remeshes to something else.
0x02: Heavy Boot - Heavy stompin' boot.
0x03: Heeled: Some kind of heeled shoe, produces the heel click on walk.
0x04: Normal shoe: Generic ordinary shoe lacking noteworthy characteristics.
0x05: Sandal: Some manner of floppy sandal, found on Maxian sandal-skins.
0x07: Armored: Found on the OFB Knight Armor.

Having made this change, you have now made a complete, properly awesome skin and can go brag about it. Otherwise, you suck.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 3:25 PM
Thanks! This will come in handy!

Thats mystery sim in my avatar! I brightened him up!
Instructor
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2006 at 12:10 AM
this is really awesome, i cant believe (though) how much detail we can add onto sims now :confused: its really quite good thanks for sharing
Field Researcher
#4 Old 19th Sep 2006 at 8:11 PM
I can't believe they really made it this way! I didn't think that was the shoes, I thought that was the type of floor they walked on. Like wood, etc.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#5 Old 11th Dec 2006 at 9:30 PM
Thanks, Pescado! I wondered about that. I have a question. How would one add a sound that isn't in the repertoire? I want to add bell sounds to some meshes I'm working on. :0)
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 7:11 PM
You can't add new footsounds, only use existing ones. Footsounds are a complex interaction between the shoetype and the floortype.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Not actually evil.
#7 Old 14th Jun 2010 at 5:56 PM
Please add to the list.

0x06: toddler bootie, like on pajamas

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes