Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Victorian Advertising Wallpapers

by HystericalParoxysm Posted 11th Jul 2006 at 2:19 AM - Updated 20th May 2012 at 3:20 PM by HystericalParoxysm

19 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 16 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 2:50 AM
First post First post *warns self*
I love these sooo much you dont know all 106 ads

For all of my creations and more free downloads please visit Exnem Sims
Grand Re-Opening NOW!!!
Come join our Banner Contest Today!!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 2:57 AM
These are great! I can't wait to try them. Thanks a bunch!

When one must, one can.
Yiddish Proverb
Field Researcher
#4 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 3:25 AM
Wow, That's beautiful !
Now WE"LL have something to read while the sims are reading on the toilet.
Thankyou!
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 3:46 AM
How unique and beautiful! Thank you!

You will find my older and newest creations here
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 5:31 AM Last edited by treetopteresa : 11th Jul 2006 at 5:32 AM. Reason: spelling error
OK, you want to hear something real funny; my father wallpapered his bathroom with paper that looks incredible like this. He jokenly told me they used to use real catalog pages on the walls of the outhouse when he was a kid. Good job, thanks!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 5:55 AM
This is fantastic! I actually needed something like this. Did it take you a long time to make?

Anyway, great job! Thanks for sharing!

K.B.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 6:11 AM
kittenbaby, these took... several hours, around 4-6, I guess, from start to finish. I had to find, desaturate, equalize tone, copy, resize, and fit into place 106 separate ads, and then I realized that I'd made it so that the edges were straight - where it tiled I didn't have any ads overlapping so there'd be a solid vertical line, so then I had to rearrange all of them and cut out pieces so they'd tile better. And then more correction once I got it into Homecrafter and saw that there were certain pieces with too dark/light/solid graphics to work right for tiling purposes. And then another half hour or so playing with the texturing for the stripes and the molding, plus the time to put 'em in game, rename them, package them, load the game, take and edit screenshots, and upload.

That said... wallpaper is one of the easiest, quickest things for me to make. I'm just nuts and do everything to my own exceedingly high standards.

Not complaining, I love doing it, just... you asked.

Glad ya like it.

treetopteresa - A good friend of mine when I was a wee niblet had her bathroom done in wallpaper just like this. I used to linger quite a while in the bathroom reading the ads for corsets and pills and odd devices. I always loved it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#9 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 7:37 AM
wow! This is a great wallpaper set!
P.S I like the !
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 7:54 AM
Thank you SO much HP. They're BEAUTIFUL and just what I wanted. You're amazing. I think I'm going to give making walls, paint, and wallpaper a try at some point. You brightened up my day 110 percent. =)
Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 1:18 PM
These are great I almost fell of my chair laughing when I read "Shandon Bells Toilet Soap"l ol and "Oriental Toothpaste"
Test Subject
#12 Old 23rd Jul 2006 at 10:26 PM
Hey, I had wallpaper like this in an old upstairs bathroom once! Painted over it after quite a few years because some of it came off ;_; Now, my sims can have some of this coolness, thank you!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 11:07 AM
they look very interesting Just to let you know for future reference, it is ok for mac users if you double the default sizes (it needs to say a 1:2 ratio). I don't know if that would have given you the clarity that you needed.
Test Subject
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2007 at 6:49 PM
These will work great for the attic of my Victorian Houses. I love them.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#15 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 11:19 AM
very cool thank you!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th May 2012 at 3:13 PM
Still love these wallpapers... Would it be possible for me to turn these into a sims 3 pattern? for my own personal use, of course.

Let's just pretend I know what I'm doing... when we all know I don't!!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 20th May 2012 at 3:16 PM
Sure, go for it. If you get a nice one working, feel free to post it up here on MTS (or any other free site) - doesn't have to be just for your personal use.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 21st May 2012 at 2:39 PM
I've read the tutorial and honestly, i dont think i want them to be recolorable. if i try to import it the way it is, untouched would i have any problems with it looking goofy?

Let's just pretend I know what I'm doing... when we all know I don't!!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st May 2012 at 2:40 PM
I think you'll have trouble getting them to tile properly that way - you'll probably have to chop them up. And the only thing I know that'll do them untouched so they can't be recoloured is the EA pattern tool.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#20 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 10:02 PM
These are so cool! Perfect for my bon voyage traveling grandmas' homes.