Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2006 at 8:53 AM
Default Is it possible to add a bump map?
Hi,

I wanted to edit an original Maxis teen mesh (formal gown) but they do not have bump maps. So, I want to know if there is a possibility to add a bump map and how it works. I have no idea how to add one!

Thanks for help!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 10th Aug 2006 at 9:12 AM
Sure.
You can use this method, or follow this post of mine, whatever looks easier to you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Aug 2006 at 3:31 PM
Ok, it does not work. I'll I have in the end is a -bak in my Projects-folder. I do not understand how it works :/ Your tutorial is kinda weird.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Aug 2006 at 6:12 PM
Janina, no one said that adding bump maps is simple, she just said it was possible. Do you have experience meshing, the instructions might assume that.

I expect that you must 'import' a recolor to the game and be making whatever changes to the file in your SAVED SIMS folder - editing things in the projects folder doesn't work.

You also will get further by simply saying you are confused and actually telling us what steps you took, step by step (sometimes our crystal balls get really foggy) and not telling people that their posts are weird.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Scholar
#5 Old 11th Aug 2006 at 4:15 AM
Here is the method I use, which you might find easier - I try to avoid as much tinkering in SimPE as I can since I always have problems.

So, I first find a Maxis mesh that does have a bump-map. It doesn't have to be the same outfit, it doesn't even have to be the same clothing type - it just must be for the same age group and sex.

I export this as a BodyShop project, make a mesh .package, link it to the BodyShop .package - everything just as if I was going to edit it.

I then replace it's GMDC with the one I edited.

I am using MilkShape and UniMesh, so I now need to enable the bump-map.

I export the new GMDC I just brought in as a .smd file from SimPE.

It asks if I wish to export the morph group - I say yes, and save the .smd file

Now I click Import, and choose the .smd file I just exported.

On the import options, I check 3 bones per vertex, check by Import Morph Mesh 1, and check by Create Bump Map Normals. Then OK.

On the next window, it should show the name of your mesh group ("body" if this is a whole body mesh). In the section "Group Settings", change "action" from Add to Replace. Then OK

Commit and save, the mesh is done.

Back in BodyShop, it will look all wrong, because it is using the texture of the mesh you cloned to make the .package, but this is expected. Just export it as a new project, then switch in the correct alpha and texture image. Also replace the "normal" map image with your new one, which you will have to create. Then you can delete that first, wrong, BodyShop .package and use this new one for making future outfits for the new mesh.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Aug 2006 at 12:15 PM
Hmm, I'm not using Unimesh (I have been told that it creates blocky shoulders :/) for my meshes, just the MTS2 Meshtool. So, that's different.

It's too bad that the teen and girl formals don't have bump maps - the girl toddler's do... It's kinda strange that Maxis does not put normal maps to their original meshes.
Scholar
#7 Old 11th Aug 2006 at 2:28 PM
Unimesh does not make blocky shoulders - that was a problem with the now obsolete BodyChop plugins, but UniMesh doesn't have that problem.

It also is much easier to work with than the MeshTool method, even for simple edits, because the mesh comes in to MilkShape right side up and the UV_map is not displaced.

In any case, you could still use my method - just extract your edited GMDC (mesh) from your SimPE .package first - then make up the new .package as I did and replace it's GMDC with your extracted one.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Aug 2006 at 4:57 PM
So, uhmm, you are with stupid (which is me). I need every single step explained. That means explain it to me like I were a 4 year old *g*

Export the bump map dress - ok. Making a mesh package? Like looking first for the filename with Simpe? Then extract all the gmd, gmdc, res and shape? Like in Tiggerypum's tut?

I export this as a BodyShop project, make a mesh .package, link it to the BodyShop .package - everything just as if I was going to edit it.

I don't get it--- link it to the BS package? Uhmm---

Ahh, I'm dumb. I understand how to mesh but I'm definetely not able to create a normal map. *feel like Homer J. Simpson*
Instructor
#9 Old 11th Aug 2006 at 6:26 PM
I see the thread is moved from its original question
First of all, tiggerypum, thanks for backing me up Sure, the changes should be made with the package in SavedSims (or Downloads) folder. As far as I know, none of the tutorials involve change of a package in Projects folder. Packages in Projects folders are temporary, they are somewhat 'reset' each time the project is loaded in Bodyshop, so there's no use in changing them.
And, janina, if you are going to try it again and it'll fail, provide more info - i.e. attach an archive with problem package - because it's hard to guess which step was missed.

Secondly, adding bump map to Maxis mesh and custom mesh are very different things. Although the same changes should be done in the recolor package, there's also little something that should be set in a mesh for make it work with bump maps. I don't know what is it 'little something' yet So, if you are working with custom mesh - bumpmaps might just don't work for it. By the way, if you are using MeshTool and export to smd - they wouldn't.
Quote:
janina wrote:
I don't get it--- link it to the BS package?

This is described in any clothing meshing tutorial. Try them, they are really useful and detailed.

And, lastly, since this stuff looks a bit higher than your current level...
Teen formal dress (Maxis mesh, long one) I've made for certain tutorial.
Girl formal I've made a while ago.
Feel free to clone and replace with your textures.
Test Subject
#10 Old 30th Aug 2006 at 10:41 AM Last edited by sinah81 : 30th Aug 2006 at 12:44 PM.
hmm..when i try to export my mesh as a smd file in simpe,they say i have too much meshes selected.:confused: i try to export a mesh with a alpha group or is this not possible?
Instructor
#11 Old 30th Aug 2006 at 2:59 PM
You can only export one group at a time.

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 16th Sep 2006 at 12:24 PM Last edited by Solander : 16th Sep 2006 at 12:31 PM.
Hi everyone,

i got a little problem with adding a bump map to my custom mesh.

I did follow the Part III Tutorial by Tigerpummy and it works fine. The mesh acts as the original mesh ingame and texture is applied etc. etc.

Now i wanted to add a bump to the mesh and i fail all the time. I did export the modified GMDC as an smd file (SimPE version 58 and 58b) and re-imported it. I checked the "3 vertices" checkbox and the normal map checkbox, but not the morph checkbox, as this testmesh doesn't have a morph version at the moment.

Afterwards, i replaced the body group with the one out of the smd file as Dr. Pixel posted some postings above.

But at this moment, my mesh vanishes from Bodyshop. It is still displayed in the SimPE preview and all vertices are assigned (single groups visible, if i click on the joints). The difference is, that it is no longer grey-shaded, but snow white. And the vertices groups, which appear light red in the preview for the unimesh-version, if i mark a joint, now are pure white, too.

In Bodyshop, the mesh is still in the list, but if i choose it, nothing is displayed. A lonely head and nothing else. Any idea, where this could result from?`

Solander

Visit my The Sims 2 blog
Scholar
#13 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 1:45 AM
The method I posted about will only work if the original mesh, the one you made your mesh .package with, has a bump map to start with. Not all of the original Maxis meshes have one, and if your did not you will have to use the other method.

Also, you must replace the Maxis mesh with your edited one BEFORE you do the .smd export/import, not after.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 9:59 AM Last edited by Solander : 17th Sep 2006 at 10:37 AM.
Hm,

i really don't understand, what i am doing wrong. I tested the smnd-Export method with an unmodified maxis gmdc (the one out of the package, i just built to be replaced by my gmdc). If i do the export and re-import it, it is snow white and invisible ingame. Before i do the export/import thing, everything is just fine.

Maybe i should try another SimPE version.

Solander

EDIT: Solved! I didn't know i had to use the 59QA-Version of SimPE. At least, only this version does work for me. Now, the smnd-Export and import works just fine. Before, i tried almost every version up to 58b

Visit my The Sims 2 blog