Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

7 Paintings of renaissance-type ships

by happygolucky Posted 16th Aug 2006 at 2:18 PM - Updated 24th Apr 2007 at 7:39 AM by happygolucky

7 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 6 Feedback Posts
Scholar
#2 Old 17th Aug 2006 at 2:36 PM
These look more 17th-18th century than Renaissance. Sailing ships need a spanker (the fore-and-aft sail at the stern) to maneuver. Ships 1,3,4 wouldn't work. Ships 5,6,7 have a spanker and could sail. Leaving off the spanker is a common mistake in maritime artwork. I have even seen a model based on such a painting. When I had it restored, I had the restorer use a lateen sail as a spanker - as would be appropriate for 17th century.

I do like and will download ship 7 with the rainbow.

Imagine a world without hypothetical situations
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Aug 2006 at 4:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mac
These look more 17th-18th century than Renaissance. Sailing ships need a spanker (the fore-and-aft sail at the stern) to maneuver. Ships 1,3,4 wouldn't work. Ships 5,6,7 have a spanker and could sail. Leaving off the spanker is a common mistake in maritime artwork. I have even seen a model based on such a painting. When I had it restored, I had the restorer use a lateen sail as a spanker - as would be appropriate for 17th century.

I do like and will download ship 7 with the rainbow.

Thanks for that great information, mac! I don't know much of anything about ships.. except I like them! :D

I'm glad you found something you like.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 17th Aug 2006 at 7:32 PM
hey, sail ho

very nice pictures

5 stars from germany for your exellent work

bigyipsi
Instructor
#5 Old 12th Sep 2006 at 3:25 PM
Great recolors on these. Thanks for sharing

Professional Vincent Valentine Glomper Extraordinaire

Sephiroth's FFVII RP Forum -Needs active members!-
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 24th Feb 2007 at 3:57 AM
for putting these 2gether and sharing the set wtih us!!!!

Joy
True Image Of Happiness

a.k.a. Small Town Sim
Forum Resident
#7 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 4:45 AM
thank you

What about the thousands of wonderful men and women who are fighting this war without any of the credit or the glory that always goes to those lucky few who just happen to get shot?
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 29th Jun 2008 at 10:04 PM Last edited by Sir Harvey : 30th Jun 2008 at 2:16 AM. Reason: Typo
????
If these are recolors of rainy day on main street should they be base game compatible?