Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2006 at 1:32 PM Last edited by ElmoLovesCyclops : 21st Aug 2006 at 2:37 PM.
Tutorials On Creating Eyebrows - Solved :)
Ive searched and searched and havent found anything on how to make custom eyebrows. I know bodyshop, photoshop and SimPE quite well and have seen how to change the colour of custom eyesbrows but i cant figure out how to create them from scratch.

Which files do i alter?
Why is there a black and grey alpha?

I tried looking at some custom eyebrows that other people had made but that was just as confusing. Please let me know or point me in the right direction.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Aug 2006 at 6:05 AM
Eyebrows have two sets of textures and alphas - one set is for toddler through adult, the other set is for elders, so they'll have grey eyebrows. I usually make the elder set the same as adults - I do that with hair recolours too, as I like to pretend my sims have hair dye in my little universe, but you can make them white or grey if you prefer grey elders.

There are several ways to make brand new eyebrows... Here's how I do it:

1. Find a photo of an eyebrow shape I like on a real person. Light skin, dark brow colour is best for this.
2. Open the photo in Photoshop. Desaturate it (make it black and white), and then up the contrast and play with the levels/brightness until the skin is completely white, and the eyebrow is still plenty detailed, but the hairs are fully black. Colour over any bits that aren't pure white around the eyebrow.
3. Open an existing face skin texture, to use for positioning the brow correctly. Copy-paste the manipulated black and white brow texture as a new layer in the face texture document, set it to a multiply layer type (so you can see exactly how it's going to lay without the white around it in the way) and scale/stretch/etc. to move the manipulated brow texture into place over the eye in a generally brow-ish position.
4. Duplicate the layer, mirror the copy horizontally, and move it into place over the other eye.
5. Combine the two layers, and invert them, so they've got a black background and white brows.
6. Put a new layer behind the brow layer - fill the whole thing with black.
7. Save what you currently have, white brows on black background, as your alpha for your brow project.
8. Then open your texture for the brows and, well, honestly, I just bucket fill (the ONLY time I use bucket fill, because you really can't tell) with whatever colours I want the brow to be. Black for black, dark brown for brown, pale yellow for blonde, etc., and save over original texture with your bucket fill. If you want normal-coloured elders, save over the elder as well - otherwise desaturate your bucket fill, lighten it a little, and save that for your elders.

You can also just use a bucket fill for the texture and then just play with painting bits of white over a black alpha to make your own eyebrows without using a photo, but I find the more complex set of steps given above gives a much better, more realistic result.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Aug 2006 at 2:33 PM
Thankyou very much Hysterical. I really appreciate the prompt and detailed reply and ill be crediting you on my website if you dont have a problem with that .
Instructor
#4 Old 13th Sep 2006 at 5:08 PM
Thank you. Finally, some help with custom eyebrows. I was very happy to find this.

I'm eleven hundred and twenty-years-old, jus' gimme' a frikkin' beer!
Instructor
#5 Old 14th May 2007 at 10:35 AM Last edited by sakrayami : 15th May 2007 at 2:07 PM.
I would very much like to create makeup since i am very creative, but none of the tutorials here fits for newbies. One can see how detailed described the clothes tutorial are, i am sitting left with a big ?

Isn't there any who can create a detailed tutorial for makeup, eyeshadow, lipstick? If i could i would have done it.

I am a supporter of MTS2/S2C, if anyone would explain properly
i would be very grateful, the forum would also get more creators.

edit: deleted the pic on photobucket.

1st place in SimCity's Most Eligible Bachelor 2009
2nd in Wicked/Angel male models
2nd in The Ultimate Maxis Sim Makeover
2nd in Bollywood's Next Idol
3rd in Miss Curves
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th May 2007 at 11:44 AM
See here for info on that, sakrayami: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...utorials:Makeup

It really is just a matter of playing with it and playing with it, reloading the project many many times till it looks good to you.

Also remember that you need to use all your own texturing in your finished project - it's okay if your makeup is on a layer on top of Enayla's skin but you can't just save her skin and your makeup as your texture.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Instructor
#7 Old 14th May 2007 at 5:34 PM Last edited by sakrayami : 14th May 2007 at 5:48 PM.
I used maxis skin. The light one. Hmm, or did Enaly's skintone show up cause i probably have her skins as default?

ok, when creating something, i have to temporarily move the defaults.

Well, thanks for letting me know, and thanks for the url. I have kinda figured out a way to create this, but i need to practise

3rd in Miss Curves
retired moderator
#8 Old 14th May 2007 at 5:49 PM
That's definitely Enayla's skin. If you use her defaults then it will show up if you go to make a new skin based on Maxis. You have to take out your defaults first to do that properly.

Instructor
#9 Old 14th May 2007 at 5:58 PM
Yes, i figured that out before i saw you wrote it HP. I am changing default skintones now and then, i use
yours sometimes, and Enayla. Or other skintones. That's why i wrote "probably" cause i wasn't sure which skintones i had as default now, been busy in many contests. I made my first alpha yesterday, and it was horrible. But a lipstick turned out to be
pretty. well, thanks and maybe i will upload something one day, when i am satisfied, and i will of course not save my work on others skintones.

3rd in Miss Curves
Scholar
#10 Old 1st Feb 2009 at 6:04 AM
I got lost....sorry. When exactly did the face get black, with the white eyebrows?
Test Subject
#11 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 6:06 PM
Test Subject
#12 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 12:05 PM
These tips are GREAT.
I made two very nice sets of eyebrows for male and female.
I dont know where I would be without your tips :D
Thanks (:
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 8:20 AM
Thank you for the tips!
Also to all paint.net users for some reason it is useless for editing alphas so i use artweaver which is also free and great for blending
Test Subject
#14 Old 13th Jan 2012 at 10:10 AM
Default The eyebrow
Can you please explain to me more detail about the white and black eyebrow. what is that means? Really lost. my creation was completely ruined..