Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2006 at 9:08 PM
Roof Won't Fit?? Help anyone?
Im trying to design a house as per my dream home specs (without the washing machine i guess). However, I can't get the roof right. It has spaces and even seems to cut through walls. Looking at the roof level it's not even - tho the ground was levelled before i built. Can anyone help me here?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 24th Aug 2006 at 9:17 PM
Try giving us some pictures so that we know exactly what you are talking about.

Please check me out at Sims Crossing Please do not upload any of my lots,clothing, or other creations to other sites!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Aug 2006 at 9:30 PM
Is it an automatic ?
If so, do it with your mouse

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Field Researcher
#4 Old 25th Aug 2006 at 2:05 AM
Yeah..post a few pics

If you are using auto roofs.....use the other kins you draw with mouse like patul said!
If you are using those already, you may need to make the roovs connect to each other....ie: keep drawing the roof till it connects to a roof part you already have!

fev

On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Aug 2006 at 10:47 AM
I have taken screenshots, but they dont appear in the directories listed on this site. The only place I can think theyd be is in on of the Neighbourhood .package files. I havent worked out how to open these yet.
I have tried making the roof (no auto roof) but because the roof level isnt coming up as flat it wont let me. At points it says the roof is on the floor!
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 27th Aug 2006 at 12:35 PM
Your pic should be in one of two places ....

(assuming standard install)
/My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Storytelling
or ....
/My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Neighborhoods/Nxxx/Storytelling

where xxx is your neighborhood number. If you aren't sure which number -- if you put the view on thumbnails, you may be able to tell from the pictures on the Neighborhoods folders. Otherwise, trial & error (again in thumbnail view) thru each of the Storytelling folders.

In general occupied house photos go to the neighborhood storytelling folders and unoccuppied house photos go to The Sims 2 storytelling folder... but not always. Sometimes when I take pics of occupied houses and then immediately take pics of unoccupied houses they end up in the neighborhood folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Aug 2006 at 3:21 PM
[IMG]badroof1.jpg[/IMG] This one shows the auto roof's atndard of behaviour.
[IMG]badroof2.jpg[/IMG] This is onew where ive put the flat roofing tiles on to show where it claims the roof is.
[IMG]badroof3.jpg[/IMG] Top down view.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 27th Aug 2006 at 3:55 PM
Part of the problem is that it is trying to bring the roof down to cover the floor between the walls on the patio. My suggestion is to forget auto roofs on this one. (Though of course there are a million and a half ways to make minor modifications and finish with autoroofs.)

Note directions/locations are based on first pic of floor plan.
1. Delete all roofs & added floor pieces.
2. Pull a hip roof from the upper right corner to the 3 tiles in from the lower left corner. (It won't let you pull it any further to the left than that because it wouldn't have support at the upper left.)
3. Pull a long gable roof over the jutting out room on the right. Watch how its ridge is intersecting with the peak of the gable roof and stop the 'inward' pull when it looks good to you.
4. Repeat the gable roof process over the other two jutty-out places.

Alternately, you might put floor tiles over the walls at the patio and then try autoroofs again -- I'd suggest the hip/gable combo as a first try.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Aug 2006 at 4:36 AM
It wont let me. If you look at the picture where i put the roof tiles - it shows that the roofs level is uneven and even says part of the roof is on the floor.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 28th Aug 2006 at 4:51 AM
Did you use the boolprop constrainfloorelevation false at any time during the building of this house? You may need to level across the top.

If you haven't done anything to make things unlevel, then sorry, I haven't a clue what is going on.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Aug 2006 at 5:45 AM
boolprop? no. could i use this to fix the unlevel roof? perhaps set it as tho i was going to build a second story? How would i use that?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 28th Aug 2006 at 6:27 AM
One more posibility is that the rooms of the ground level are not complete so the grids are not showing up on the next level/story.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 28th Aug 2006 at 7:56 AM
Are you going to the very top level, or the uppermost level to place the roofs?

Also, sometimes when you have a window or a door (placed where you want them of course), and you are trying to place a roof on 'part' of a lower level IE: you have a 2 storey home & want to place a roof over part of the ground floor rooms.....
What I mean is if you have windows & doors on the second floor walls, & are placing roofs over parts of the ground floor levels, sometimes you get errors......
try removing the doors & windows...then doing the roof....replace the doors or windows!

fev

On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 8:51 AM
Definately working on the top most floor.
RTried removing all doors and windows and trying the roof again. Same messages "Can't support weight" "cannot place on slope" roofs that do work show partly on the floor of have large gaps in them. Any other ideas? Perhaps I could upload the lot and someone else could have a try?
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 8th Sep 2006 at 1:13 PM
'Can't support weight' implies that you do not have a room completely closed. If that is part of the design, close it up for roof placement, then remove the walls afterwards.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies