Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 10:45 PM
Default Transparency with self (accessory)
Hi,

I'm making this gourd-shaped accessory out of spheres and cylinders (see picture). I regrouped them into one in the "frame" group, cleaned the overlaps, assigned bones, etc.

It has pretty strange effects in the game, viewed from certain angles (pls refer to pics). It seems that the lower sphere (pink) always bleeds through the upper one (blue), but not the other way around. Same with the top cylinder (red) and the upper sphere.

I don't quite understand, as they're all in the same group, assigned to the same bones, and even tried welding vertices afterwards (in effect getting just one hollow shape); yet why do the parts still behave differently (like A bleeding to B but not vice versa)? Am I missing a property that still "differentiates" the parts from each other?

It looks normal in bodyshop by the way.

Ive already read the weird transparency article here http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=131414 and it doesn't seem to cover my problem (I've had those problems before in other projects and was able to solve them using that article).

Hoping I explained my problem properly somehow. I use Unimesh and Milkshape.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ronyu02
I don't quite understand, as they're all in the same group, assigned to the same bones, and even tried welding vertices afterwards (in effect getting just one hollow shape); yet why do the parts still behave differently (like A bleeding to B but not vice versa)? Am I missing a property that still "differentiates" the parts from each other?

The effect reminds me of meshes with bone assignments of less than 100%. Just a guess, though. Since you referenced Tig's article on that topic, then I have to guess that's not it.
I was wondering, which bones? Some of what UniMesh lists as bones (like the backtarget_surface) aren't really bones, but animation targets. Could this be part of the issue?

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#3 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 1:49 AM
If you didn't change any of the matd's, then it's likely bone assignments, as Wes said above. Your glasses frame _should_ have good matd's. Just to make sure, look down the list of stuff in your matd list and make sure there aren't any set to 'blend', because that will mess you up also.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 8:01 AM Last edited by ronyu02 : 30th Oct 2006 at 9:25 AM.
Hi again,

Quote:
I was wondering, which bones? Some of what UniMesh lists as bones (like the backtarget_surface) aren't really bones, but animation targets. Could this be part of the issue?

I've already checked the bone assignments several times. All the frame vertices are assigned to 50% spine1 and 50% spine2, and I made sure I changed NumSkinWgts to 2. I snapped the lens vertices (so they wouldnt show) and ensured that they're assigned to 100% head. Fix Underweighted Bones and Exporting produce no warnings.

Edit: I tried assigning the frame verts to 100% spine2 (and reverted NumSkinWgts to 1). Doesn't fix anything.

Quote:
If you didn't change any of the matd's, then it's likely bone assignments, as Wes said above.

I don't think I did; the only stuff I changed in SimPE are the usual:
- topmost Resource Node and Shape in 3IDR (to reference the MESH file)
- bin value in XMOL (to make wearable with other accessories)
both of intance 0x00000402 (teen male). Didn't delete anything else.

Anyway checking the tm frame matd, stdMatAlphaBlendMode is set to "none".

Anything else possible? I would hate to give up on this. Thanks for the help so far!