Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 3:45 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 31st Oct 2006 at 6:11 PM.
Default Transparency/Overlapping problems - Accessories
This is related to my problem here http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=200182 -- sorry if I just posted yesterday, but since I can't seem to figure it out I did some experimenting in hopes to clarify my question further.

I made the following accessory in Milkshape, all assigned to head bone, checking bone weights, all grouped in Frame group, applied UV mapping, etc. I use the Unimesh plugins.

In the game, I can't seem to explain the weird transparencies. Like the cylinder, which always seems to be in front of the spheres regardless if viewed from the front or back (the spheres don't "cover" the cylinder in the back view as they should). Or the bent cylinder, self-explanatory from the pictures. Or the 2 lower spheres, which are actually intersecting, but it doesnt show in the game, rather, one of them always shows itself on top.

Can anyone point out the problem?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 4:30 AM
I'm going to give the same response as before. It's probably your matd's.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 6:30 AM
I checked... the only value that seems to pertain to the blending is stdMatAlphaBlendMode and it's set to "none".

I tried following the discussion here http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=35769 but I can't pinpoint what my problem is. Another person seems to have a similar problem here http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=135645 no replies though.

Do you know, or does anyone else know, what other settings I have to change in particular? I checked the matd (TXMT) of another custom object and it seems the same as mine, yet it doesn't have these problems.

And sorry and thanks for putting up with my persistence.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#4 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 7:08 AM
Hmm, so these are all set to 100% head. Using the unimesh bone tool?
stdMatAlphaBlendMode is none

So now I am puzzled.

My answer for MizzesSimmer would have been to set
stdMatAlphaBlendMode:none
stdMatAlphaTestEnabled:1

and then there would be a solid object that could have cutouts using black and white (sharply) but no semi-transparent stuff. That is how I made Lethe's elven bed work better, before that she was getting some bleed through like yours on the frame of her bed, it would change as one rotated the bed. It was really odd looking. It's also how I got my aussie hat to work.

Before we tear all our hair out - did you try this with a different base mesh - I know that a couple of the glasses are somewhat broken and I'm not sure in all of the ways.

Beyond that, can you upload the recolor file and mesh file so we can puzzle over it.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 7:50 AM Last edited by ronyu02 : 31st Oct 2006 at 8:21 AM.
Thanks for offering! I changed the test mesh though, but the problem is still there (see pic). I included the original glasses in this test (raised above the head), and it also has display problems.

zip file contains the MESH and recolor, as well as the milkshape file.

Oh and I should mention. Body Shop and Create-a-Sim don't display these problems. Only in the lot itself.

Edit: Found in teen male. Also, about some of the glasses being broken, I remember it being mentioned that it was the round Harry Potter type, and I didn't use that.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ronyu02_test2.zip (54.9 KB, 13 downloads)
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#6 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 5:04 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 2nd Nov 2006 at 2:32 PM.
It's not you! It's PETS. As you noticed, displays CORRECTLY in CAS, but not in game. Game is broken. My hat is broken also, at various times the display goes glitchy.

I was able to reproduce the problem, and take a close look at these in game glasses - original untouched Maxis glasses .... click the pic for a close look.

There's an in game shot with the blue lense bleeding through the arm of the glasses (look carefully), and another shot of it in bodyshop looking perfect.

I also took a shot of my hat-accessory in (pets) bodyshop, in the in game change appearance, and in the actual game, where the display problems are very obvious. The hat is available for download here
Screenshots

Scholar
#7 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 6:04 PM
I can confirm that it works fine without Pets, since I don't yet have that expansion.

It shows correctly here, both in BodyShop and in-game.

Tig, do the Maxis glasses also have this problem in Pets, or is it just user-made accessories?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#8 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 6:05 PM
Those are maxis glasses. Untouched. And they display with the bleed-through in game.

Scholar
#9 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 6:08 PM
Good - in the sense that it is definately a Maxis problem, I mean. Unfortunately we will have to wait for them to fix it, unless someone can creat a patch for this.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#10 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 6:09 PM
We've also had a lot of flashing-blue accessories with pets, so there have been some other issues. But as the Maxis glasses are doing this, I'm not exactly sure 'how' one can fix it, without Maxis fixing the display code.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 6:39 PM
I'm quite happy to hear this; it's been bugging me for some time now (pun unintended). And the fact that I somehow helped discover it (the "bug" I mean, if it is one) :D

Well let's hope Maxis (er, EA) fixes this, as their own in-game glasses are affected.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 12:06 AM
Yup, Pets issue all right, I tested on another PC and got this (these are in-game goggles from Nightlife):

Oh well!
Screenshots
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 4:01 AM
I've created a testing thread over here

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=1455656

So if anyone else can add their tests and info about their systems, I'm sure this will help Maxis... thanks

Instructor
#14 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 10:03 PM
I think this is on the same topic, has anyone else seen their pets displaying through walls, having their chewbones display through the top of their muzzles, that sort of thing? I am seeing quite a bit of transparency issues with them. I'm just commenting, I don't need a response, thanks.

I'm eleven hundred and twenty-years-old, jus' gimme' a frikkin' beer!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#15 Old 23rd Mar 2007 at 2:54 PM
I'm closing this thread:

Solution as it stands - no Maxis did not 'fix' this in the patch from what I can tell - is here:

http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=202520

Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: fix/info in last message