Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 10:21 PM
Theoretical: Is it possible to make White Shiny Latex/PVC?
Tucsoncoyote here

Well I've been reading a lot of the topics dealing with "Shiny PVC/Latex/Vinyl/Neoprene Textures" and was wondering about something..
Now most Colors like Black, Blue, Green and Red can have that Shiny Look to it, but then it got me to thinking is it theoretically possible to have a "White" PVC? Or something that is "Semi-Gloss"? I mean the reason why I am asking this is because I'm working on a form fitting suit that is Blue and White in nature, and most of the suit is white..and would probably be glossy...

But then the problem is that Bright White is a value of (RGB) 255,255,255 and in a way you can't really add a gloss to it and even with Dim white (RGB Value 243,243,243) you could at most have a slight gloss to it..(Now if you were working with Grey Or Dark Gray then I would say yes it is possible, but i am wondering what kind of RGB Value could you used to get that "Gloss or Semi-Gloss White" Look on it?

Any Ideas?

Tucsoncoyote--
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 10:42 AM
You can't. The whitest thing in the game is white. If you made the outfit pure white, it'll look like crap in the game anyway, look at 'white' clothing. It's light gray, which can allow for some white highlight when the light hits it.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 11:28 AM
I'd suggest doing some Google Image Searches, finding some nice sample pics (safesearch on unless you wanna see some scary stuff - pvc related searches can be freaky with the fetish stuff, eeww), and saving them. Then eyedropper the various areas - shadow, midtone, highlight, to get an idea of some good values to use.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#4 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 12:16 PM
If you use the "colour picker" in a picture of white latex, you will see the overall white is not white at all. It just looks white because of the colours around it.
But of course, it's much difficult to make shiny white than shiny dark colours

When all Courage is necessary, all Hope is justified!

To know something about me read: this interview
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 25th Feb 2007 at 9:35 AM Last edited by wolfmage64 : 25th Feb 2007 at 3:47 PM.
Gloss resolved:
I work with Photoshop CS2 here are my the settings for my sim cloths

1) Create clothing outline using vector shape and flat colour
but don't choose exactly pure white, start off with a pinch of grey say 225, 225, 225 or hex number #e1e1e1

(draw a circular ball in photoshop to test this)

2) Layers->Layer style->blending options
(for me)
3)check Blevel & Eboss with -structure settings: 20-25 Size px, 3-5 Soft px
-shading settings: 90deg, 70 deg, gloss contour linear, AA on

It may differ from yours but general idea is to adjust the Size px and Soft px accordingly, usually adjust the distance on Size px slider larger than Soft px.
Set Screen and multiply to 100% both using white colour.

How much to adjust depends on the size of shape and your desired glossyness. You will have to do some trial-error.

4)check Contour Elements set level to about 50% and select half round with AA on.

These are the settings you want to play around with. Hope this helps..

WM64