Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2007 at 5:48 AM
Default Is pets build mode glitched?
Hey ^^

So, after a hiatus from the Sims, I just got the pets exp. To celebrate, I reformatted my PC and fresh installed everything. I got a new neighborhood and am building it now. First building, a 1 story mall, no problem. But then I decided to build a nightclub with more than one floor.

Problem is this, it appears that the game is not always sure which floor it is on in build mode. I am having a hekuva time because I can't target stuff on the floor I am on (and I mean, using the floor indicator on the side). I have had problems putting up walls, adding stages and even putting down floor tiles. Its like my mouse is whack because it refuses to target where I put it - but it's not. I finally discovered, after fruitlessly trying to place some floor tiles, that the tiles were in fact being placed (though I couldnt see them or target them) - on the story above the one I was working on. ???

Anyone else have this problem and is there a workaround? I love to build and this is very disheartening for me.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Feb 2007 at 6:44 AM
It is not a known issue ????

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Instructor
#3 Old 17th Feb 2007 at 7:41 AM
Hmm any way we can see a screenshot? and if you think it's the mouse, just try and give it a decent clean because you could have stuff trapped where you can't see it, might have to pull it apart slightly if it just has the mouseball but infrareds just have a tiny cavity
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 17th Feb 2007 at 8:00 AM
Did you install the Pets patch? I think that was meant to fix some building bugs.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Feb 2007 at 9:00 AM
I've had this problem since OFB. It usually (though not always) turns up when I've used a stage on the lot. Usually saving (not save on exit), exiting to neighborhood, and then re-entering the lot works. For awhile.

Sometimes it gets so I can't even remove walls because the "cursor" jumps up to the level above where I'm working... even if there isn't a next level built! That usually happens if all four walls are drawn and I'm trying to place interior walls. Again, save (not on exit), go to neighborhood, and re-entering the lot does the trick. For a bit.

I've actually written to EA several times about this. They called it a design issue and sent me to tech support. Tech support called it a game play issue and sent me back to EA. So, it's never been resolved and they're not interested in hearing about it. What a shock!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Feb 2007 at 3:02 PM
Thanks Jl! That is exactly what it is doing!

This nightclub I am building uses the stage a lot. I hadn't noticed with OFB because I hadn't had the EP long before I stopped playing and I don't think I really used the stage in building.

I have hunted all over looking to see if others have this problem, even on the BBS, so I am glad to know its not just me. I will try writing EA to let them know, though it seems (judging from all the bug posts on the Sim2.com BBS) that they have their hands full with Pets bugs.

Thanks so much guys!
Forum Resident
#7 Old 17th Feb 2007 at 4:21 PM
I've experienced similiar problems as well, but I thought it was just my computer.
Thankfully, I haven't had any problems since installing the Pets patch. get it here

"I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant and kindness from the unkind, yet, I'm ungrateful to those teachers. "- Kahlil Gibran
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Feb 2007 at 4:28 PM
Can the vertical view help?
Just curious even tho I doubt I'm gonna have all these Pets problems...:D

The OFB stage seems to be a 4-click-raising relocator for the floor level it's on.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Feb 2007 at 4:30 PM
Thanks Mega!

I wish I could say that the patch might fix it but I actually got all patches when I reformatted and re-installed. Hub was unhappy I lagged up his FFXI getting them all hehehe!

I guess I will try JL's suggestion to go to neighborhood and back. Meanwhile I attempted to go to the bug report page on Sims2.com but - imagine! The page was down.

Edit: Niol, no vertical view didn't help, I tried that and zooming in real close, it was just such a pain! Eventually I get done what I am trying to do, but it sucketh the fun right out of building when it takes 10 mins to put up a wall.

Crazy. After this club is built, no more stages for me!
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#10 Old 17th Feb 2007 at 5:38 PM
I've got the pets patch and still have it happen.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#11 Old 18th Feb 2007 at 5:24 AM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 18th Feb 2007 at 5:38 AM.
Has this even been reported (such as by the methods described in MaxoidSam's latest blog entry)? This has certainly driven me crazy and always happens once I build an OFB stage. Even if you remove the stage, the cursor/pointer has trouble distinguishing between floors.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#12 Old 18th Feb 2007 at 8:51 PM
Well, I've reported it at least four times. Just now I followed your link and when I click on Maxoid Sam's link to the bug form I get a page not found error.

As for the other e-mail address... I've been there and done that and got the run around every single time. Although the claim is it's a new e-mail address. If I was experiencing it right now (shockingly I've actually been playing the game for two whole days) I might try reporting it yet again... have you reported it and if you did have you had a response? If someone at EA is paying attention now I'll certainly report again. But I'm not going through the nonsense of back and forth from tech support to game play again.

Sadly I find it re-assuring that I've now seen three other users (I believe corvi has had this problem as well) experiencing this same phenomenon. At least it's not just me posting about it anymore!
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#13 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 12:47 AM
I have not reported it. I don't use the BBS and I am over-protective about who sees my email (just because a company proclaims it won't sell your email address, doesn't necessarily mean that an employee couldn't be selling email addresses to spammers or whomever on the side----perhaps "paranoid" is a better word rather than "over-protective" ).

When I click on the link in the blog and in my post, I get the 404 Error. However, when I click on it when previewing my post (I was going to quote MaxoidSam's blog), I get redirected to another page that requests signing in to the website. I assume it is the right page. Here is the URL of that page. http://thesims2.ea.com/community/qa...RequireMsg=true

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 1:15 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 19th Feb 2007 at 1:22 AM.
JLonier, maybesomething: I think you're getting 404s because MaxoidSam can't type -- have you tried removing the trailing dot from the link?

As for the original problem, with the game getting level-confused: I have this too, ever since installing OfB (I don't have Pets). Annoying, yes ... I often put in my stages just to see how things look, remove them again, build everything else and only at the very end put the stages back in. Kind of a clumsy workaround, but since the game crashes anyway whenever I use cfe false near a stage, it's the only way for the time being.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 2:33 AM Last edited by niol : 19th Feb 2007 at 2:43 AM.
maybesomethingdunno,
May try to have a an extra email account for when you suspect you're likely to get spammed after inputting your email address. So, you know if the site or its staffs may sell or leak your email addresses easily.
Or, use an email redirection service in which you just need create a fake email address and set what can go through that fake account and then have your targeted emails re-sent to your actual email account(s) by its settings.

I'm getting annoyed with yahoo's outlook express interface... it's getting slow and I kinda have to open at least one stupid junk in order to remove them.

I'm gonna check if I can disable the fast email loading once clicked involuntarily.

In my OFB-NL copy, I build and place objects according to the grid lines without any problem myself and so now unsure what the problem is.

This thread may be useful.
http://www.modthesims2.com/member/s...ad.php?t=208134

plasticbox,

Have you used the patch? I don't know. Probably, my experience in OFB is not sufficient to tell (I'm talking seriously not jokingly.)

I can deform the stage and build things alright there. Can you give out some instances where the problems can happen, so I can follow and try out, please?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 5:25 AM
Ooo...

I will go back to Maxoid's page and try typing in the URL manually, if indeed he cannot type. I too am glad to see I am not the only one who has this problem. I will definately report it if that bug page is working.

Perhaps those of us who do have this problem can find something in common - I use an Nvidia 5600 card, with the latest drivers.

Niol, how it happened to me: new custom neighborhood, not very many buildings up yet, and no sims. Put a large chunk of stage up, and suddenly the mouse jumps around and will not target what you are aiming for. It was only by placing tiles that I discovered that the reason the mouse won't target correctly is because the game is working on a different level than I am - it is targetting the squares above or below.

Happily it wasn't as annoying as when I began and I was able to finish my Nightclub, and will be uploading it shortly. I might post a link once it is up. ^^
Mad Poster
#17 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 7:09 AM
Test Subject
#18 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 11:48 AM
I get this problem all the time...hadn't realised it might be the stages...drives me crazy tho....gets me all mad and start bashing the keyboard.....maybe I'll pay a bit more respect to the keyboard now...lol...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#19 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
Have you used the patch? [...] I can deform the stage and build things alright there. Can you give out some instances where the problems can happen, so I can follow and try out, please?

Yes, this is OfBp2 (plus the Nightlife patch before that). And the crashes happen consistently whenever I do any terrain levelling near a stage (affecting the stage itself, or one of its adjoining tiles) while cfe is set to false. On the rest of the lot, no problem, and as soon as I remove the stage, no problem either. My stages are usually on top of foundation, I never tested this to make sure what exactly the circumstances are since I don't have the patience to wait through 20+ reboots.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 5:20 PM
Has that to do with the sequence of the game installation?

I installed my OFB-NL copy from TS2 -> NL -> NL-patch (latest at the moment) -> OFB -> OFB-patch (latest at the moment).

How about yours?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#21 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
Has that to do with the sequence of the game installation? I installed my OFB-NL copy from TS2 -> NL -> NL-patch (latest at the moment) -> OFB -> OFB-patch (latest at the moment). How about yours?

Same. ^^

Mad Poster
#22 Old 19th Feb 2007 at 5:50 PM Last edited by niol : 19th Feb 2007 at 5:58 PM.
That's completely amazing...!
contradictory conjugates are happening? and so, that's obviously not the reason.

Let's try hard to think of what we've missed to speak out or realise or notice... :bandit:

Threads of similar interests:

Is anyone else experiencing this
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=205434
Amazing behaviours of OFB stages
http://www.modthesims2.com/member/s...ad.php?t=208134
Is pets build mode glitched?
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=220711
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies