Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Seasons Atmospheric Lighting Tweak

by HystericalParoxysm Posted 12th Mar 2007 at 1:50 AM

23 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 22 Feedback Posts
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 2:06 AM
To be sincere i like how the atmosphere is in the game(especially the spring yellow lol), but people have different tastes so this will be certainly useful for others ;-) Thanks HP!

You will find my older and newest creations here
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 2:18 AM
I can't see any difference in the pics, but I'll test it out for you - I know the pics don't always do the item justice

Please don't PM/IM me with requests
Scholar
#4 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 3:02 AM Last edited by Night Racer : 5th Jan 2013 at 3:52 AM.
this is great HP...but I noticed in game that each season has two colors, early in the day in spring it can be a slightly yellow tone, but as it approaches noon-2 o clock it gets a bit more white. Same with the other seasons. Dose this address that?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 4:06 AM
Just checked the links in-post and I can see the differences now - looks much better already, can't wait to check it in-game, cheers

Please don't PM/IM me with requests
Forum Resident
#6 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 5:06 AM
Thanks. I hated the yellow light in Spring especially. It's not too good for contests.
Instructor
#7 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 5:27 AM
Ah yes, my good pal Hysti! I'll definitely be trying this. I agree--there's a tad too much saturation on some of the seasons. This fix will be subtle, but I'm thinking it'll nevertheless be worthwhile. I guess if I really want it much better than this, I'll just have to wait until 2009.

You can find me on the Sims 4 Gallery as DozerfleetProd. If you have XBox One or PS4, please test out my creations, and let me know if / how well they work on consoles.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 12:06 PM
sim~obsessor, the change in lighting effects through the day is handled by a different lighting file that has not been modified (that file is from the base game). The daytime/nighttime/morning/evening effects appear to modify whatever the seasonal effects are, so you will still get a slightly different light quality at sunrise and sunset, but the overall tint should still be modified properly.

CormorantEnt, if there are effects or tints you prefer, it's -VERY- easy to change. Doesn't even need SimPE. I linked to the thread where I started discussing the seasonal lighting effects on S2C, where I posted instructions. All you need is something to get the RGB values (Photoshop or any graphics editor - even websites that list RGB codes for colours), a calculator to convert the numbers (divide the RGB values by 255), and Notepad to open the Lighting.txt file.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#9 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 4:14 PM Last edited by CormorantEnt : 12th Mar 2007 at 4:22 PM. Reason: more clarification yet
I meant...too much saturation...in the original. Yours is just fine. Sorry for not clarifying. ;-) By waiting till 2009, I meant when The Sims 3 is scheduled for release.

You're getting this about as good as it's gonna get given the limitations of the second-generation game. To improve any more, we'd almost have to wait for the third-generation game to be released.

We can crunch numbers to fix lighting all we like, and build all the custom skintones in the world, but even at their best, not even GunMod and Chocolate Pi could fix everything. At her best, Helaene cannot fix how silly animations in-game distort the beauty of her details.

Yes, we know how to fix GraphicRules.sgr so it doesn't destroy textures. The issue is, that the fixes are even necessary in the first place. For that to go away, we simply have to wait for Maxis to do what it does best--improve on its original design.

You can find me on the Sims 4 Gallery as DozerfleetProd. If you have XBox One or PS4, please test out my creations, and let me know if / how well they work on consoles.
Instructor
#10 Old 12th Mar 2007 at 4:46 PM
I love the Tweaked Winter one. It looks much more icy and bitter, which happens to be the perfect Winter atmosphere IMHO.

Excellent work.
Stupid people are stupid
#11 Old 14th Mar 2007 at 3:43 PM
HP, i totally love it sofar. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 16th Mar 2007 at 12:48 AM Last edited by helaene : 16th Mar 2007 at 12:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by CormorantEnt
At her best, Helaene cannot fix how silly animations in-game distort the beauty of her details.

Yes, we know how to fix GraphicRules.sgr so it doesn't destroy textures.

1. yay - people like me! :D

2. we do?

3. hp, you know i <3 you...

ps. angel_f, i'm going to steal your cat. muah ha ha! adorable!

~ h e l a e n e ~
https://www.patreon.com/helaene (free)
Stupid people are stupid
#13 Old 16th Mar 2007 at 3:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by helaene
ps. angel_f, i'm going to steal your cat. muah ha ha! adorable!

/me immediately calls Dipsy inside to prevent the stealing...
Thanks, she's a lovely little cat.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 26th Mar 2007 at 4:07 PM
Being a Photoshop addict, I notice a HUGE difference between each pic! I might be getting seasons, if I do then I will definately d/l this! Thanks and well done, it looks very realistic!

La la la...
I am just a random, messy girl in a random, messy world...
Scholar
#15 Old 30th Mar 2007 at 2:16 AM
Default Thanks So Much!
You are amazing! The coloring looks a lot more realistic.I love your default skins in my game as well, for the same reason.
The skintones are now so much richer,and I KNOW that this will look awesome in the game as well! Thanks so much!

"What we say is good for nothing, if we say nothing for good.".
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 8:58 AM
OK I might be a complete moron but, when I go to the Lighting folder as you directed my lighting file is a package file not txt so when i added this in it didn't overwrite it since they are different types.
Instructor
#17 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 9:06 AM
You looked in the wrong folder. Use Lights, not Lighting.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 9:47 AM
Oh what a stooge. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 1st Oct 2007 at 5:06 PM Last edited by Ralfijs : 12th Nov 2011 at 9:53 PM. Reason: Sorry, had to edit this. My English was very bad back then, and I now realize, I was being very rude! Sorry HP!
1.Hello, HystericalParoxysm!
2.Can you make the Bon Voyage version, If necessary (afraid
to test it, because don't wanna crash the game)
3.Oh, and before the 2. - does this work with Bon Voyage?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 1st Oct 2007 at 5:25 PM
Ralfijs

1. Hi Ralfijs

2. I don't have Bon Voyage. I'm not really planning on getting it.

3. No idea, not having Bon Voyage. I would guess that if you only replaced the one lighting file and no others, it'd probably still work, but I have no way to test that.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#21 Old 1st Jan 2008 at 5:24 PM
Hi, HP! I absolutely love your stuff, in general, and I've decided to try this one. I've kept the original settings for winter, since I already found the Maxis winter too dreary, but I love your other tweaks. I was a bit weirded out by the yellow light in spring, too. I mean, I live in a very warm country, and even here spring doesn't look like that.
Anyway, thanks for this mod!

A.
Test Subject
#22 Old 4th Feb 2008 at 11:11 AM
One of the great things about modding is that you can tweak a game to be exactly how you like it, and this is a perfect example of just such a tweak. I always thought autumn and spring were a bit too "orange".

I can see quite a bit of care has gone into this creation, good job.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 26th Feb 2008 at 4:47 PM
And I only discover this now?...
Thank you so much for this, HP, the original was driving me mad!
Test Subject
#24 Old 21st May 2009 at 9:37 PM
It occurs to me that I don't *post* thanks enough I use almost all of your stuff, and never seem to get around to doing more than hitting the button. Eternal lurker.

And alas, I'm being true to form now, because mostly I'm posting to ask where the tutorial for this has gone: I'm interested to see if I could tweak it to change the colour of the sky in a more drastic manner. Unfortunately, the thread seems to have disappeared, and five searches have failed to locate it.