Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Global Fix: Indoor light for the "OpenMe 2Tile Window" - *Now included in CEP*

by MaryLou Posted 10th Apr 2007 at 8:16 PM - Updated 6th Oct 2007 at 2:26 AM by MaryLou

Closed Thread Locked by: MTS2Staff Reason: Fix now included in the CEP
23 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 22 Feedback Posts
Forum Resident
#2 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 8:31 PM
Maxis always does things half-@ssed! Luckily we have people like you who can fix these problems! Thanks, I love this window, but hated the fact that there was no light.

I've never been married, but I tell people I'm divorced so they won't think something is wrong with me.
- Anonymous

Sideways Garage Tutorial
Instructor
#3 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 8:52 PM
Thanks so much Mary Lou! I love this window, but I almost never use it because of the light glitch. I've been looking for a fix for a while... I'm so glad I finally have one! :D

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao-tzu

Sorry, I don't take requests.

My building tutorial: Link
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#4 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 8:59 PM
I ve never even noticed that! Now I do!

Currently playing Sims 4 full collection. (and fixing my mods folder)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 9:10 PM
wow, never noticed! I'm sure this will be very useful!
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#6 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 9:33 PM
Haha wow... I use this window all the time, and I never even made the connection that the rooms were dark because of the it. Thanks so much for fixing it! :D

There's always money in the banana stand.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 9:43 PM
Thank you so much, I love this window but hardly used it because of this. This will be so very useful!
Alchemist
#8 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 9:50 PM
Great idea, Mary Lou, I hate when have to set all lights on! Thank you and ciao!
Instructor
#9 Old 10th Apr 2007 at 11:59 PM
Thank you so much. I like global mods myself. I like it better to use the original content when possible.

Nutty Sims Mommy.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 6:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by carrotsrcrunk
Not trying to be a jerk or anything but... http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=101157

I already know this, and I have mentioned in my main post too:"This is NOT a new custom window like the windkeeper's one."
They are not the same thing.
Windkeeper's one is NOT a global fix: is a new custom window that show up in the game catolog (it's a clone window that looks exactly the same): and you have two same windows. It comes in two files for 46.7 KB.

Otherwise, mine is a Global Fix ( only 1.6 KB) : is not a new custom window! You 'll use the orginal Maxis OpenMe 2Tile window, as usually but the maxis' window will have the indoor light: you don't have two same windows in the game catalog.
I think this is better, isn't it?

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
MaryLou's Sims 2 World - MaryLou Sims 2 Forum (Italiano)
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 1:53 PM
Thank you so much! I've been using Windkeeper's window, but it annoyed me to have two of the same window in the catalogue for no good reason other than Maxis screwed up again. I'm glad to finally see a global fix. :D
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 6:28 PM
Many, many thanks. It is such a lovely window but not usable until now because of the lack of light it provided. Very much appreciated.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 7:13 PM
Some of the houses I built are going to lose some of their lamps. Thanks so much Mary Lou!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaryLou
I already know this, and I have mentioned in my main post too:"This is NOT a new custom window like the windkeeper's one."
They are not the same thing.
Windkeeper's one is NOT a global fix: is a new custom window that show up in the game catolog (it's a clone window that looks exactly the same): and you have two same windows. It comes in two files for 46.7 KB.

Otherwise, mine is a Global Fix ( only 1.6 KB) : is not a new custom window! You 'll use the orginal Maxis OpenMe 2Tile window, as usually but the maxis' window will have the indoor light: you don't have two same windows in the game catalog.
I think this is better, isn't it?

Meh, should have read it better. My apologies

I've been waiting all this time to be something I can't define.
Theorist
#15 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Renatus Valentinus
Thank you so much! I've been using Windkeeper's window, but it annoyed me to have two of the same window in the catalogue for no good reason other than Maxis screwed up again. I'm glad to finally see a global fix. :D
Actually I don't think the original window was a mistake on Maxis part, but that their intention was to provide a window that would not affect vampires. For this reason I will likely continue to use Windkeeper's windows for regular use, and the Maxis originals on the few occasions that I use vampires - and/or want a dark and dreary room. But MaryLou's global mod is a good option for those who either never use vampires or do not use these windows with vampires.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#16 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 11:36 PM
Sophie-David, are you sure that the vampires take advantage of the lack of light from the Maxis windows? I've examined them, and they are clearly created to have light; only, the light is broken... If Maxis wanted to create a light-less window, they probably would have stripped completely any light definition from them...

I think we should run a test (if you haven't run it, yet): build a room with a wooden (opaque) door and several OpenMe Maxis windows; and see if, during daytime, a vampire can survive in this (supposedly) dark room.
I haven't tried, but I guess that the vampires would suffer from the sun light, even if visually the room is dark.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Theorist
#17 Old 12th Apr 2007 at 4:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Sophie-David, are you sure that the vampires take advantage of the lack of light from the Maxis windows? I've examined them, and they are clearly created to have light; only, the light is broken... If Maxis wanted to create a light-less window, they probably would have stripped completely any light definition from them...

I think we should run a test (if you haven't run it, yet): build a room with a wooden (opaque) door and several OpenMe Maxis windows; and see if, during daytime, a vampire can survive in this (supposedly) dark room.
I haven't tried, but I guess that the vampires would suffer from the sun light, even if visually the room is dark.
Hi Numenor

No, I haven't actually tested it - I just assumed Maxis knew what they were doing. I so rarely play vampires and when I do I faithfully put them to bed during the daytime. Well this puts a different light on things! I will have to give this a try...

Cheers - David
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 12th Apr 2007 at 8:44 AM Last edited by MaryLou : 12th Apr 2007 at 10:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
Actually I don't think the original window was a mistake on Maxis part,

I think, the window is really a mistake. "The OpenMe 2Tile affect" the vampires as all the other windows.
The vampire can not survive during the daytime, he suffers from the sun light, even if the house is totally without windows.
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
No, I haven't actually tested it

On the contrary, I have tried before to create the fix, of course.
In my tests, the vampire could survive for 3-4 hours, with either normal windows, or OpenMe windows, or without windows at all.
Quote:
but that their intention was to provide a window that would not affect vampires.

Maxis can not be so creative
As Numenor, I think that if Maxis wanted to create a light-less window, they probably would have stripped completely any light definition from them...and, in addition, they would have created a kind of "special" window" as they have created a "special bed" for the vampire: the coffin.

Quote:
- I just assumed Maxis knew what they were doing.

Are you sure they always know what are they doing ?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
@Edit:
Quote: Originally posted by carrotsrcrunk
My apologies

Don't worry

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
Theorist
#19 Old 12th Apr 2007 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaryLou
I think, the window is really a mistake. "The OpenMe 2Tile affect" the vampires as all the other windows.
The vampire can not survive during the daytime, he suffers from the sun light, even if the house is totally without windows.

On the contrary, I have tried before to create the fix, of course.
In my tests, the vampire could survive for 3-4 hours, with either normal windows, or OpenMe windows, or without windows at all.
Well that pretty much shoots down my assumption - I guess I gave those Maxis folks too much credit! If even with no windows at all the result is the same then its not going to matter how the windows are coded. I didn't get a chance to play with vampires last night - too busy with Delphy's new DDO. Would vampires be OK if awake in a basement during daylight, or is it the same result as in a regular room?

Given that knowledge about vampires and these windows, I am definitely going to use your patch, Marylou. I will leave Windkeeper's windows installed until I can change them over to your patched ones. Of course that probably means that I will leave Windkeeper's windows in forever because god only knows which houses I may have put them in among the nine neighbourhood sets I've got going!

Thank you for your complete explanation, MaryLou, and of course, thanks for the patch.

Cheers - David
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 16th Apr 2007 at 12:28 AM
You have no idea how much this bothered me. Now I can use this window again! Yay!

Thanks so much, for this and all of your wonderful Mods!
Forum Resident
#21 Old 18th Apr 2007 at 2:53 AM
You're so great. I have been waiting for this fix. I like the openme window very much, but I don't want to use it because it's very dark. Now I can use it again. Thanks, MaryLou.
Instructor
#22 Old 19th Apr 2007 at 4:24 AM
Thank you MaryLou! I avoided these windows because of the lack of light - now I can use them!
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 14th Jul 2007 at 12:56 PM
good idea! thank you for those!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 2:28 AM
FIX NOW INCLUDED IN CEP 7.0.

Please post your comments about this fix in the CEP thread.

[Thread locked]

Closed Thread