Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

No Lightnings During Storms - Global Hack

by Numenor Posted 14th Apr 2007 at 12:10 AM - Updated 14th Apr 2007 at 12:31 AM by Numenor

54 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 50 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Greatest Dad Ever
#2 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 12:19 AM
That was very nice of you to do that for that person Numenor !

That would have been a real problem ...

This is great and thank you !
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 12:29 AM
Numenor this is so nice. Thank you very much.
Instructor
#4 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 12:30 AM Last edited by CokeBuilder : 14th Apr 2007 at 5:06 AM.
It seems like my Sims get electrocuted every time they go out in the rain... thanks Numenor!

Edit: Oops... I guess I should read posts more carefully shouldn't I? Oh well, I still appreciate that the screen wont flash ever 3 seconds while my Sims are sleeping lol.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao-tzu

Sorry, I don't take requests.

My building tutorial: Link
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 12:33 AM
CokeBuilder, if your sims are so unlucky, they will still be electrocuted You will not see the flash while the lighning bolt strikes the sim, but the sim will be hit nevertheless.

Again, this hack only suppresses the visual effect, not the consequences of the lightnings

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 12:59 AM
Thank you so much for uploading this Numenor, I have always been afraid of the flashing from the lightning may cause me to have a seizure while playing Seasons. Thank you again!

Shawnee
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 2:14 AM
I used to hang out on a newsgroup where they had something known as Ugol's Law. Ugol's Law states that the answer to any question that begins, "Does anybody else" is always "yes." So the answer to the question, "Does anybody else have trouble playing Seasons because of epilepsy" is almost certainly yes. I'm sure more than one person will appreciate your efforts in making this!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 5:56 AM
I am just happy to know you are one of those people, Who honestly cares about others.

Its a pleasure to utilize the mods of yours that I have.

The world can't have enough people around in my opinion who really care.

Doc
Forum Resident
#9 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 6:28 AM
thnak you i have a majaor storm phobia and the lighting is a trigger for me i can turn the sound dow for the thuunder but i couldnt turn the lightning off now i can:D
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 8:12 AM
I'm going to put this in as this sounds awesome
Scholar
#11 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 9:13 AM
I don't use this hack because I prefer a thunder with sound and lights but thank you. It's nice to do this for this simmer Numenor !

All of nature is within us and we are part of all nature (Chief White Cloud)
Field Researcher
#12 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 10:47 AM
Numenor, I want to thank-you for this .. i had a son (age 4) who died of epilepsy, though im triggered at times when the lightening hits, i can remind myself its only a game and not be not afraid to play the game or allow my kids too , and that u care for ppl who have problems with it....im gonna download it and save it..smiles

Be with us here this week as we remember Your journey toward the cross. With sad hearts, we contemplate Your death. But with confident hearts, we know that You are carrying out God's great plan of salvation.

Christ, as You take the path that leads to both death and life, may we journey with You.
Test Subject
#13 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 11:06 AM
thanks numenor, this is so nice and thoughtful of you and such an obvious issue now I think about it, games like this could have been built with the option to remove such effects, couldn't they?

oh well, i guess you'll be my recommendation if there is ever an opening at EA
Instructor
#14 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 11:35 AM
Thanks for addressing this issue. There must be dozens of other games that may have a similar affect on those suffering from epilepsy. I found an interesting article for those who are concerned. http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/news/...-tv-video-games

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 5:38 PM
Dang.. and I thought that it would stop lightning from actualy hitting sims and, items. -_-
I'm so sick and tired of my trees constantly catching on fire nearly every two or, three times lightining strikes durring a storm. Ah well.. One can only hope that, a hack will be made for that.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimJymm
Thanks for addressing this issue. There must be dozens of other games that may have a similar affect on those suffering from epilepsy. I found an interesting article for those who are concerned. http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/news/...-tv-video-games

Whenever I install Settlers 3, I get a popup warning to be careful with that game if you have epilepsy. Sometimes I was not sure I wanted to play when I saw that warning.

Shawnee
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 7:45 PM
I think this is wonderful, a great service, and I do have a question. Could this posibly help the fact that my game stutters during rainstorms? (I have Nvidia/vista issues) I am going to try it and see, and thanks again!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 7:52 PM
Rainstorms are quite "heavy" to bear for the game; probably the heaviest task to perform, graphically speaking; the lightnings add to the pot, because they force the game to quickly redraw the light map of the entire lot; but I guess that preventing the lightnings won't help that much, because the rain itself is the major cause of slow-downs.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#19 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 8:40 PM
What a nice and throughtful thing to do. I don't need it myself but still wants to say thank you.

Pink

Dial a Llama quote:

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe.
Dalai Lama
Test Subject
#20 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 8:45 PM Last edited by Ascarrott : 14th Apr 2007 at 8:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
I like the idea but is there any way of just getting rid of the flash but keeping the lighning bolts visable?
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 9:10 PM
Now all we need is a shower hack is it in the works now? I'll try it out but I may take it out a few times like when im storymaking.

You had eyes to see.
Need help with that rusty tool? x-x
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 9:34 PM
Lightning alert!

I was sitting waiting for my sim to get home from work during a rainstorm, and there was a lightning flash.

Now, it wasn't as bright as some I've seen, but I definetly saw it, fairly "close" to the house, not far off in the distance. You had said to report any thing like that, so I thought you should know.
Instructor
#23 Old 15th Apr 2007 at 12:03 AM
the brother of a friend of mine also suffer from epilepsy its is really good that there are ppl who cares about it, although i dont need this hack, i would like to say thank u, 'cause its really nice of yours to be concerned about ppl like this simmer,i mean, maxis should have though about it when they created this game.... anyway, thanks a lot Numenor!!!

hi!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 15th Apr 2007 at 4:19 PM
Aurelia - Thanks for reporting! So, it was a "generic" lightning, not a bolt striking an object or sim, right?

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 16th Apr 2007 at 12:33 AM
I don't need this hack either, but like BrazilianGirl said, thank you for making it for the people who do. You have helped saved a lot of people some trauma and might even have saved some lives!
Page 1 of 3