Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2007 at 12:42 PM Last edited by khakidoo : 18th Jul 2007 at 9:34 PM.
Process For Cleaning A Lot With Clean Installer
I've had such trouble figuring out how to work around some of the glitches in the CleanInstaller... I know that I'm supposed to change the save-as name if I strip stuff out and then resave the lot... I know, or I think we're supposed to click 'cancel' instead of 'save' or else the package ends up 'empty' - those issues combined with repository items and maxi's recolors not being in the packages has made it quite a challenge at times to get my lots ready for upload.... so I thought maybe before you start having these troubles, I'd give a little outline of some of the steps I take...

I usually
Build the lot -

1) Package to a file like normal

2) Exit my game

3) Empty my downloads folder of everything except the CEP ( I move the contents of the downloads folder to a "temp downloads" on my desktop )

4) Install the lot with Clean Installer 5) go back into my game and into the lot and see what's what - what stuck and what didn't - flashing blue items alert me that I have to track down a repository item, or if I can't find it, I replace it with a suitable replacement that will stick (maxi's recolors don't stay in the lot, that's not due to the cleaninstaller though. - if you want those included in your upload you have to put them into a seperate .rar/.zip and upload with your lot post and tell downloaders to unzip it to the DL folder)

6) Exit the game

7) Go to the Sims2Pack Clean Installer ( or you can use Delphy's Download Organizer for this step) and have it scan my downloads folder.

8) Remove completely the excess custom mesh recolor files that I don't want in my package from the downloads folder. (remember they will be replaced when you move your stuff back from 'temp downloads')

9) Back into the game repackage the lot to a file again - now this version is stripped of excess custom mesh recolors...

10) Just to make extra sure - I will again clear out my downloads folder - then install the lot again and check once more that the lot appears as it should...

re maxis recolors -
sometimes it's hard to identify the recolors by their file names in order to put them into a .rar, so take note of the creator of that recolor while building, then you can either find it easily in temp downloads, or redownload it if they didn't label it specifically enough. I'll usually opt for a custom mesh instead of a maxis item, because at least the recolors I want stay in the package.

It sounds so complicated but once you get the hang of it it only takes about 15 extra minutes to do....

of course if you don't use any CC you don't have to deal with all this nonsense... but I love CC ... and I'm sure that other lot uploaders have their own system, maybe easier and without so many steps... but I really like to make extra sure that what the downloader sees is what they actually get...

Subtle In Spades
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th May 2007 at 6:39 AM
Awsome thanks!