Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Bamboozle Doors – Smarter than your average Sim

by calakarad Posted 23rd Apr 2007 at 1:47 AM - Updated 28th Jan 2008 at 12:31 AM by calakarad : Moved from Testing to Finished

22 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 21 Feedback Posts
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 2:24 AM
WooHoo! I'm first!!! These look great! Somehow I missed the earlier version, and I've been looking for something like this too...
THANK YOU!
I'll let you know if I have any problems...
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 3:07 AM
Thank you! It's always annoying when guests ring my garage door.

Excellent work!
Unsocialized Homeschooler
#4 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 3:57 AM
Oh Cool! Thanks!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 4:33 AM
Brilliant creation! And I *love* the name!

is it can be sims tiem now plees?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 6:06 AM
im not sure how these work

will sims walk through these doors at all? or is it just an edit in the pathing that makes sims not think this is a door with a doorbell?

Do not post my creations anywhere unless you have my permission

Check out my website!
Alchemist
#7 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 11:21 AM
Good idea, thank you forever!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by djsclaus
im not sure how these work

will sims walk through these doors at all? or is it just an edit in the pathing that makes sims not think this is a door with a doorbell?

The only aspect that is different to the original Maxis doors is that Visitors and NPC's will not see these as front doors and make a beeline for them, apart from that they function the same as normal doors, sims will still use them to gain entry to what's on the other side in the same way as the Maxis doors. Also, if you have OFB the lock options are available.

Think I might need to add this to the description!!!
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 23rd Apr 2007 at 9:27 PM
Yay -- I've always liked the bamboozle "Just a door," so I'm glad to have more varieties!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Field Researcher
#10 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 8:05 AM
Quote:
the two original doors have been re-named, re-priced and (most importantly) tidied up and stripped of useless textures etc, which of course also makes the file size smaller

Why did you remove textures? Do these use repository textures? Or were the removed textures not showing up? *headscratch*
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 9:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alkaloid
Why did you remove textures? Do these use repository textures? Or were the removed textures not showing up? *headscratch*

The MMAT's, some of the Material Definitions and some textures were not needed because they use the textures from the original Maxis doors. This saves on size of the main package and the need to repeat all of the colour/recolour options which in turn saves on the number of packages! All in all less to put in the downloads folder. So yes a repository of sorts, just not one I've created.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 12:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by calakarad
The MMAT's, some of the Material Definitions and some textures were not needed because they use the textures from the original Maxis doors. This saves on size of the main package and the need to repeat all of the colour/recolour options which in turn saves on the number of packages! All in all less to put in the downloads folder. So yes a repository of sorts, just not one I've created.

Cool. Thanks!
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 12:47 AM Last edited by MiniMimi : 28th Apr 2007 at 5:01 PM. Reason: Update
Cool! It always annoyed me to have visitors go directly to the separate-empty-garage or even knocking on the toilet shed lol^^

I'll gladly test in the lots that need these. Thank you!

EDIT: I tested 2 doors in a problematic lot and it worked! More precisely it didn't work (the delivery man waited in the back garden without ringing!) until i rebought the main normal entrance door (a maxis one). Odd but i'm fine with it!
I guess it's because it's an OFB maxis lot that came with that add-on, pretty old and maybe awkward ^^

I'm so reliefed now! No more ringing at the garage! Thank youuuuu! :-)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 8:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
I tested 2 doors in a problematic lot and it worked! More precisely it didn't work (the delivery man waited in the back garden without ringing!) until i rebought the main normal entrance door (a maxis one). Odd but i'm fine with it!
I guess it's because it's an OFB maxis lot that came with that add-on, pretty old and maybe awkward ^^

I'm so reliefed now! No more ringing at the garage! Thank youuuuu! :-)

Strange! I've never come across that before! Should have worked without having to rebuy the front door! Oh well at least you found the remedy and got it working as it should. Thank you for testing and your feedback, it's very much appreciated .
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 11:42 PM Last edited by MiniMimi : 28th Apr 2007 at 11:53 PM. Reason: nm
You're welcome, testers are here for that
Let me thank you again for these awesome doors, this lot is now way more friendly-player lol without these deliverers getting lost in the garden ^^

Yeah, strange for that front door. But again, it was a maxis made lot and they're generally very awkward and rarely playable without changing or optimizing things

Uh, i'm dying to know... Why don't you try with that lot - if you have OFB - and tell me if you have the same entrance door problem: it's the rich blond adult male, living by himself in a huge mansion; he owns 2 commercial lots: an electronic shop and a nightclub. Eh, sorry, names are different in the french version, if anyone know his name go ahead...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 12:13 AM Last edited by calakarad : 29th Apr 2007 at 9:20 AM. Reason: Update
Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
Uh, i'm dying to know... Why don't you try with that lot - if you have OFB - and tell me if you have the same entrance door problem: it's the rich blond adult male, living by himself in a huge mansion; he owns 2 commercial lots: an electronic shop and a nightclub. Eh, sorry, names are different in the french version, if anyone know his name go ahead...

Malcolm Landgraab IV is the chap, I'll try it out, although I think I already might of! It's the big white house and you have to add the garage I believe! I've also replaced him in my main neighbourhood because I already had the Landgraab family in my game but I'll try it in another neighbourhood so I can test from scratch.

Update; I've tried it out on that lot, remember now, it did have a garage just no diveway or garage door Anyway, I replaced the side door on it, ordered a pizza and no problems, the vistors then came along just after 12 and straight to the front door. However I decided that I would carry on testing and after many pizza deliveries; I found that if he was in the pool they would wonder round the back briefly before returning to the postbox and eventually leaving the pizza on the front door step (without ringing any doorbells)! Mind you, I noticed in the past that if you have open access to the back garden and your sims are out there, sometimes the vistors/delivery people will make a beline for the back garden! At least my doors work, shame they can't stop all the other stupid things they do
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 12:32 AM
ROFL! When i tested Malcom was generally painting in the back terrace -or inside- & his servo was always in the garden raking up leaves... Ahaa! I think we finally nailed it. The Maxis original front door maybe worked okay but it's the deliverers that are stupid: they see someone in the garden so they go there... and wait stupidly without ringing ^^
Field Researcher
#18 Old 10th May 2007 at 1:45 AM
In your sample pictures, you have a shop on the ground floor with bamboozle doors on it. If your shop is open, do customers still go through the doors with no problem, but friends visiting and/or delivery npc's go up the stairs to the "house" doors? In other words, did you put the bamboozle doors on your shop after you already had customers inside or were your customers able to use the doors like normal?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th May 2007 at 4:56 PM Last edited by calakarad : 28th May 2007 at 11:01 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Simsane
In your sample pictures, you have a shop on the ground floor with bamboozle doors on it. If your shop is open, do customers still go through the doors with no problem, but friends visiting and/or delivery npc's go up the stairs to the "house" doors? In other words, did you put the bamboozle doors on your shop after you already had customers inside or were your customers able to use the doors like normal?

The Bamboozle doors were in place before I set-up the home business, once I started the home business the customers come flocking to the shop as normal. Personal visitors (ie Sims invited over or the ones that come to welcome you when you move in) and delivery NPC's make a beeline for the normal (Maxis) door upstairs to ring the bell. So yes it works as you'd expect it should, the bamboozle doors only stop the madness of Sims making a beeline for them to ring the bell and are therefore ideal if you have any external doors you don't want confused as front doors. Hope that makes sense!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 17th May 2007 at 11:47 PM
Great job! I installed these in my game before my husband did a complete system wipe (hey, he's a freak about that kind of thing) and they worked brilliantly!
Instructor
#21 Old 29th May 2007 at 12:18 PM
Hi! I'm putting very much hope on your doors to solve a problem of mine that is constant. There's a possibility in-game to enable Push Greeting on the nearest Sim.
Works very well - with a side effect - visitors start to ring the front door and run to the back door to ring again. This is extremely annoying. My previous solution was to place an invisible fence around the whole house and allow only the front door to be available (a brainless solution too!). I hope your doors don't allow at all the ringing.
Thank you!
Scholar
#22 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 7:56 PM
Yay! Down with the fences that have blocked my simmmies extra doors...,until now!!!I have all of the packs, but will still have fun testing these!
Wonderful idea. Now the neighbors amd the maid won't enter thru the garage!
I find that intrusive as well as annoying! thanks. :D

"What we say is good for nothing, if we say nothing for good.".
Mad Poster
#23 Old 19th Aug 2007 at 9:50 PM
wow, this is really clever!

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!