Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Twelve Dante Gabriel Rossetti Prints, Pets Badger Recolour

by Sophie-David Posted 9th Jul 2007 at 6:43 AM - Updated 22nd May 2009 at 5:11 PM by Sophie-David : Resized inline images

10 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 8 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Alchemist
#2 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 11:07 AM
I love this artist, I remember one of his paintings (the name should be "the golden stair", I'm not sure if it's the right translation) which quite hypnotized me.
Thank you for this set, it's a pity that Rossetti is not so widely and well known.
Thanks again and ciao.
Alchemist
#3 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 5:22 PM
They are georgeous, thanks!!
Test Subject
#4 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:32 PM
The one with the harp is hanging in my bedroom right now. Talented and insane, like all the great ones.

You look sharper than a page of Oscar Wilde's witticisms that have been rolled up to a point, sprinkled with lemon juice and jabbed into someone's eye.
Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 8:10 PM
The female figures remind me of John William Waterhouse and his paintings. Here's a link to some of Waterhouse's works at The Athenaeum: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/by...p?id=82&msg=new
There's something similar in Rossetti's and Waterhouse's style.

How can it - O, how can love's eye be true,
That is so vex'd with watching and with tears?
No marvel then, though I mistake my view;
The sun itself sees not till heaven clears.
- Shakespeare
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 7:10 PM Last edited by Sophie-David : 11th Jul 2007 at 7:33 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by muufi1
The female figures remind me of John William Waterhouse and his paintings. Here's a link to some of Waterhouse's works at The Athenaeum: http://www.the-athenaeum.org/art/by...p?id=82&msg=new
There's something similar in Rossetti's and Waterhouse's style.
Oh yes, I love Waterhouse's work too, particularly the mythic subjects. Several of these have already been Simmed, but for some reason Rossetti had been overlooked. I am happy to see that there is an audience for his work in the Sim world.

It seems that many of Rossetti's paintings use female subjects, with several of his wife, Lizzie Siddal, or of his subsequent mistresses after her early death. Perhaps my absolute Rossetti favourite, Beata Beatrix, is of Lizzie. And his Lady Lilith was radical in its time, at last portraying this archetype of feminine sexuality in a non-demonized form.

Thank you for the Athenaeum reference, muufi1, I see they have quite a good Rossetti collection too.

I am working on several paintings for the base game, but finding that some of the templates are quite difficult to deal with as far as getting the brightness and contrast correct. I was lucky in starting with the Badger because it was fairly easy - enough to get me hooked. I have completed five of my favourites from this series in the Glamour Life huge wall poster format, but I want to release them after the base game group is finished.

It is very much a question of taste and in-game lighting, but I would like to know if the brightness and contrast level seem appropriate for this current series. I am at a bit of a disadvantage in this because I am working with an older and therefore darker monitor. I should note that the screen captures above are noticeably darker than the in-game objects themselves, but I don't know why this should be.
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lamammaforever
I love this artist, I remember one of his paintings (the name should be "the golden stair", I'm not sure if it's the right translation) which quite hypnotized me.
Thank you for this set, it's a pity that Rossetti is not so widely and well known.
Thanks again and ciao.
I don't know which one this would be, but if you could point me to this picture I would happy to Sim it. I am working on several other of his most popular paintings, and am also willing to take requests for other Rossetti or Dante Alighieri related works - provided that they can be successfully converted.
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Jul 2007 at 8:38 PM Last edited by Sophie-David : 21st Jul 2007 at 6:16 AM. Reason: Added link to full image of King Arthur's Tomb
King Arthur's Tomb in this series is actually only a detail view of the original. I discovered this only after I had made the object, but then could not find a good quality image for the complete painting. Thanks to muufi1's reference to The Athenaeum, I now have a good image and will convert this for the game. UPDATE: the complete image has now been posted here.

Personally I really dislike the use of cropped closeup images in either books or online, when the complete picture is not also included. I took pains in this series to neither crop the images nor introduce noticeable dimensional distortion. As it is, nearly all photo reproductions of artwork include a small amount of cropping to avoid the matting.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 14th Sep 2007 at 3:12 AM
Marvelous, thank you!

luv,
Kat
Test Subject
#10 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 10:16 AM
OMG! Rossetti is my favourite artist! Thank yoooou!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#11 Old 15th Mar 2016 at 11:52 PM
Great job! Rossetti and the other Pre-Raphaelites are among my favorite artists. Thank you for sharing these. :D