Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Simsky's "Better TV" mod - greatly improves Sims TV habits (updated 2008-06-14)

by Dave Luv Posted 16th Sep 2007 at 10:45 PM - Updated 6th Sep 2008 at 5:32 PM by Dave Luv : This item works in all versions of the game - including Apartment Life :)

56 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 54 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Sep 2007 at 10:57 PM
Cheers! I'll give it a go.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Forum Resident
#3 Old 16th Sep 2007 at 11:30 PM
Thanks, nice one. I don't mind the sims leaving the tv on - but it is just so loud and annoying! Wish there was a mute button for their tv's!

I've never been married, but I tell people I'm divorced so they won't think something is wrong with me.
- Anonymous

Sideways Garage Tutorial
Field Researcher
#4 Old 16th Sep 2007 at 11:45 PM
This is great, thank you. I have a big screen set up behind a dj booth in a nightclub, and it's always getting turned off!

luv,
Kat
Field Researcher
#5 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 12:19 AM
Smarter Sims... I can dig it. Thank you.

Username: Centerman
in The Sims 4 Gallery
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 12:20 AM
this is great, I hate it when they leave the tv on. thankyou.

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative
Test Subject
#7 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 12:40 AM
Thank you SO much, I really hate it when they leave the TV on!
Test Subject
#8 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 12:43 AM
Finally--Sims turn off the TV when they're done. It gets so annoying trying to listen to the rest of the game when the TV's blaring nearby. Thanks!
Test Subject
#9 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 1:46 AM
omg this is great! <33 though you should make one for community lots too, because i have problems with sims at hotels watching tv from bed, then later they keep waking up but i'm can't figure out why x'D
Instructor
#10 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 1:54 AM
This'll make life *so* much more realistic in the sims. Why the heck would you leave the TV on all night if you're going to go sleep in a completely different room? Thanks sooo much.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 2:01 AM
thank God! i've dealt with the tv interfearing with my custom radio station way too much! thanks!

my personal life can be supported by veiwing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n2z-Q6x6eU and others on my youtube page. I believe there's a few building tutorials there aswell. I create rather sporadically, so excuse me if I'm gone from this website for months or years at a time.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#12 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 4:31 AM
HURRAY! I assume it works for BV? I had Numenor's TV fix but something went wrong with my game and now alot of mods aren't working anymore. I'll give this one a go.

For anyone who wants the volume down, or off, and have the TV still on, take a look at this thread. http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=76126
Field Researcher
#13 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 6:19 AM
This is so useful&realistic.

Thanks.

Te
Test Subject
#14 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 6:23 AM
Thanks! I've to always click my sims to off.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 7:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelita0686
omg this is great! <33 though you should make one for community lots too, because i have problems with sims at hotels watching tv from bed, then later they keep waking up but i'm can't figure out why x'D

Hotels are handled the same way as residential lots by this mod - just read the description

Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
HURRAY! I assume it works for BV? I had Numenor's TV fix but something went wrong with my game and now alot of mods aren't working anymore. I'll give this one a go.

Sure, it was tested with all current games - including BV.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 10:35 AM
Fabulous! Even though I've turned my TV down, I still hate having the darned thing on. Thanks for making this.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#17 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 12:15 PM
Do owned community lots count as community lots in this sense?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 12:39 PM Last edited by Dave Luv : 17th Sep 2007 at 5:39 PM. Reason: I am at my gaming comp, fixed the lot zoning values :)
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Do owned community lots count as community lots in this sense?

Here is how this mod determines the lot type:

I used the "Lot - Is Community?" global function for this purpose. This function uses the Lot zoning value for determining the lot type. Residential lots = 0, community lots = 1, University College lots = 2 to 4, hotel lots = 5, secret BV locations = 6.

The lot type determining global functions return true only when the exact lot zoning value is used - number 1 in this case. All other lot types are treated as if they were residential lots by this mod - this means in hotels or in the college (simply on all liveable lots) the Sims always turn the TV off. This is what Lily requested - Sims can sleep well on their vacation, no disturbing TVs
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#19 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 6:49 PM
Thank you for the explanation

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#20 Old 18th Sep 2007 at 10:05 PM
Yeahbut...where did you get those cool theatre seats :-0
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Sep 2007 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Symanteco
Yeahbut...where did you get those cool theatre seats :-0

You have to ask Lily where she got them ;o). I haven't played TS2 for years and the only moment I launch this game is when my friends talk me into creating a mod .
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 19th Sep 2007 at 1:44 AM
Very interesting mod!
But i need to know what happens to the Residential Business shop? Will they turn the tv off? A lot of my sims opened a shop in their own home & i need their tv on nearly all the time for the customers! (so i keep turning it on every 5mn lol)
Do these "home shops counts" as "owned community lots"?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 19th Sep 2007 at 12:17 PM Last edited by Dave Luv : 29th Sep 2007 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Info about new version of the mod added
Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
Very interesting mod!
But i need to know what happens to the Residential Business shop? Will they turn the tv off? A lot of my sims opened a shop in their own home & i need their tv on nearly all the time for the customers! (so i keep turning it on every 5mn lol)
Do these "home shops counts" as "owned community lots"?

Edit 09/28: the lines below are related to the first version of the mod, which was replaced today - now the mod checks if the shops are open / closed in OFB

This mod doesn't check if there's a home shop (OFB EP) on the residential lot.
If more players are interested, I could update it to check if there is a shop and if the shop is open (open -> the Sims won't turn TVs off; closed -> they will turn it off).

Please check my journal for more info and write me your opinions there.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 19th Sep 2007 at 1:51 PM Last edited by MiniMimi : 19th Sep 2007 at 2:02 PM.
Ow..... Too bad

One of my home shops is an 'administration', opened ALL the time with a ticketronic. It's a constant buzzing of 6 sims living there,the 'customers' enjoying the lot & one more maintenance employee that comes everyday! Loosing their tv would be a huge downside & would not be realistic at all... Arg!
I tried changing the lot default but these sims wouldn't sleep anymore without a hack that is anyway still not updated for BV. Plus their health bars would fall down too fast and it would not be viable.

A small test to see if the shop is open or not could work?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Sep 2007 at 2:49 PM Last edited by Dave Luv : 29th Sep 2007 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Info about the new mod version added
MiniMimi: Please use my journal for this stuff, I've written more details there and players could be confused if discussing appropriate future versions of the mod here.

(I removed the technical stuff)

BTW if somebody reads this - a new version of the mod was released on 09/28 - Minimimi's requests have been implemented
Page 1 of 3