Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2008 at 3:51 PM
Default Photoskinning.
Can someone please point me out to a tutorial or thread that involves photoskinning. I use the GIMP. I've already tried photoskinning, but my results are horrible. I want to learn how others can acheive this, perfect lines, clean, beautiful results. Thanks for the help.
http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org.../springtime.jpg
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Jan 2008 at 4:57 PM
Most of it is having excellent source pictures to begin with. Pics that are small, low-quality, too dark or too bright, or have the clothing laying flat/too wrinkled will result in crappy photoskinning no matter what you do. From there, it's a matter of making sure that all the details end up in the right places - you need to use the uv map for the mesh you're recolouring to make sure all the buttons, pockets, zippers, seams, etc., end up in the right places. I have a tutorial on exporting the uv map for your clothing mesh - look under my profile, or in the BS Skinning tutorial section here.

Make sure you cut out piece by piece - the biggest mistake I think people make photoskinning is just copying the whole thing at once - do it in little sections detail by detail and get each detail in place and then blend the edges. If you can do a selection with feathered edges in GIMP, that helps a lot when copy-pasting each piece.

You may also have to do some hand-painting and adjusting overtop of the photoskinning - very rarely can you just copy-paste and be done. You may have to do a lot of fiddling with it, adjusting shadows and highlights and that sort of thing, until it looks right.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 6:32 AM
I did a tut for photo skinning on GIMP awhile back. You can find it HERE . I hope that this helps you

Real Sims Blvd. -FREE Quality Sims Clothes & More
Real Sims 2
Field Researcher
#4 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 6:41 PM
riverofjazz-thank you for that link with tutorial))

One day you're gonna wake up and realize how much you care for her--
And when that day comes she'll be waking up next to the boy who already knew.
--Anonymous
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 5:00 PM
also a few posts above is one that I did...
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=279087

spending spare time drinking more coffee
Test Subject
#6 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 8:16 PM
I'm using an old version of Photoshop. (7.0)
Is there a Photoskinning tut. for it?
-modswat