Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 5:43 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default BV suddenly crashes after work'n fine
I have read alot of the posts associated with this problem before I even went through what I am going to type next. That is why I am posting here. NONE of the solutions have worked. I just yelled at my husband to bugger off because I am ready to seriously cry after hours of reinstalling everything. (yes I apologized)

I have been running Bon Voyage since Christmas with no problems along with all expansions except for Pets and Teen Stuff.
Then all of a sudden CRASH!!! WT heck?
I get the error “Application has crashed The application will now terminate." After it loads to Creating vacation hot spots
So I uninstalled all custom content. Just in case Restarted… still crash
Ok now uninstalled BV (which uninstalled my EA games folder in my Documents!) urgh! Now I am mad and have no choice but to uninstall all my Sims2 and expansion and stuff packs. (because I didn't know how to get the EA folder back)
Following instructions per another site I deleted the registry keys. Then I ran Custom Content cleaner (CC Cleaner) cleaned up the registry remains... now I have a clean slate.
I updated all the drivers for my video card, got the latest of DirectX, Defragged my machine, checked for viruses Etc I ran a program called system Mechanic and even cleaned the registry from there as well as some of the other features to really make my machine spiffy clean and ready for reinstallation of the Sims2.
Feeling luck as hell; I reinstalled ALL the expansions making sure each one loaded after installation. I am good. 2 hours later I Get to Bon voyage installed it. I then downloaded the BV patch and installed it. Crossed my fingers; ran the game and guess what…??????I bet you won’t guess……..oh come on! C>R>A>S>H!!!!! *#@!$
So I deleted the startup for BV put on my desktop and put a the Sims2Ep6 shortcut on my desktop instead (thinking the new start up program was the problem) I restarted and still ANOTHER DANG CRASH!!!!!!!
Keep in mind I have not once put the Custom Content back into the game (which I did check with Cleanpack Installer before I deleted it in the beginning)

I am running

Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
ACPI processor with a 80 GB hd
128 meg Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 video card (with latest Driver)

Why all of a sudden does it do this? Its been running fine for
I am furious a completed reinstall of everything and then it still don’t go

The FIRST thing I always do is shut down all background tasks I even shut off my network connection to the internet shut off firewall antivirus program etc I have always done this and I know what I can and cannot shut off. I also have not installed any new programs on my machine and have no dvd burning software installed.

I dont know what to do now I am not a newbie to computers or the sims 2 and this has got me by the short hairs as to what is wrong any one have any suggestions?

Plant your own dope.....
Grow a Husband
Advertisement
What just happend?
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 5:57 AM
I'm not sure that your Graphics card is up to "BV" (see the screen shot)
Screenshots

Life is for LIVING so, LIVE it and have Fun

Please use "spell check" when posting!!!
Prejudice is the child of ignorance.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 6:19 AM
I actually read on another site (have been to soooo many) that it is fine. Also my question is why would it run just fine and then decide after I pry my self away from the game to actually sleep; it would not just not run anymore? Thank you for you info and for answering

Plant your own dope.....
Grow a Husband
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 6:42 AM
Usually random sudden crashes are due to cache file problems... http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...ete_Cache_Files ... and deleting them fixes things... without having to reinstall or anything like that.

And when something like this happens, it's really best to go through this FAQ rather than, well... driving yourself batty reinstalling... it's very rare for a problem to require a reinstall and often that simply doesn't fix anything: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...lp:Game_Problem

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 5:28 PM
In addition - no, that graphics card isn't good enough, especially not with so many EPs. You might be able to get the game running, but it won't look good, or run smoothly - and it'll probably continue to crash occasionally, although it sounds like something else is causing these crashes.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.